ethan winer null box

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 ethan winer null box

Post by ed »

<controversy warning>
I'm shamelessly borrowing this from wigwam where I first saw it...it maybe promoted on other sites, I don't know....

anyway

I love Ethan Winer...some may remember when I was trying to duplicate his green screen video presentation effect on a music video thing I was doing...I came to the conclusion that more than one of me was too much, actually most people think one of me is too much.I think his was called Rondo.
</controversy warning>
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
ed
retired

#2 Re: ethan winer null box

Post by ed »

wrong link above...it starts at the end..

this one starts at the beginning:

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: ethan winer null box

Post by pre65 »

ed wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:21 am wrong link above...it starts at the end..

this one starts at the beginning:

Interesting. :)

I wonder what the response would be if it was posted on the NVA forum ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: ethan winer null box

Post by Nick »

Probably the same as if it was posted here.

Is there a full circuit diagram of the thing anywhere?

I use something similar (A distortion multiplier) to show the distortion component of power amps, but that assumes the DUT has gain and does allow for compensation of phase shifts.

Personal, I am not sure it answers any questions, we know that different cables are different, we can measure their different LCR properties, the question is do they sound different which this box won't help with.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: ethan winer null box

Post by IslandPink »

It would be nice to have something that was good enough to measure cables in enough detail to see differences and correlate it to the musical effects. The point where I stopped thinking cable swapping was just 'small change' in the system was about 4 years ago when I did something Bud Purvine has asked me to do with the litz/cotton cables he supplied. These things are 140-strand copper litz with white cotton shoelace covering. Every half-metre or so there is a little 1.5 inch piece of heatshrink holding the two cables together. Bud said this heatshrink length, and how many pieces you used, altered the sound quite a lot. I never fully believed this. Eventually after several years of using them I took the trouble one day to slide all the pieces of heatshrink off and play some music. It was like all the bass tone and mid tone had been bleached out and there was an incredible amount of treble energy added to everything. I remember feeling quite shocked, it felt like the ground was slowly moving around under me, for a few seconds !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
ed
retired

#6 Re: ethan winer null box

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:25 pm
I use something similar (A distortion multiplier) to show the distortion component of power amps, but that assumes the DUT has gain and does allow for compensation of phase shifts.
you may recall me telling you( you probably dont ) that I used to use my old farnell scope for exactly the same thing. By hooking up the input to one channel and the output to the other, equalising the waves vertically, then negating one channel and subtracting one from the other.....all that was left was the distortion wave.....crude but very effective

Sadly can't do this with the modern scopes like the uni-t

I still support Ethan for nailing his flag to the post though.
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: ethan winer null box

Post by Nick »

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#8 Re: ethan winer null box

Post by ed »

indeed....

for me it would have been a bit more readable if he didn't squeeze too many examples into the sentence explaining the point. A verbose journalistic style to say the least. But an interesting read nonetheless.

First time I've come across the term swift-boating, as mentioned in the second part of article....oh waily waily