Dental matters.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Dental matters.

Post by pre65 »

My hygienist gave me a friendly rollocking the other day regarding my cavalier attitude to dental flossing.

Anyway, I'm taking things more seriously now and wondered if a water flosser might be a good thing ?

Any opinions Thomas ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Lee S
Old Hand

#2 Re: Dental matters.

Post by Lee S »

My wife is a dentist so we have a water flosser as we got it cheap. It's OK, but IMHO no substitute for either traditional floss or Te-Pe sticks. Ours is currently languishing at the back of the cupboard and never gets used, but we get through lots of floss. Make of that what you will. YMMV. :wink:
©2020 Lee
DSJR
User

#3 Re: Dental matters.

Post by DSJR »

If we all flossed properly, we'd have no need for Hygenists - perhaps you could tell them that!!! patronising cows, some of them and I fell out with my last one as she was over-familiar to someone nearly pension age and the water cleaner she used hurt my ears, causing her to resort back to a good dig and scrape. I walked out of the room shaking like a leaf and could barely get down the stairs. I have to pay for their services FFS - they're not doing me a favour...

As for the rest of it, I'm frustrated at losing a kindly gentle highly skilled private dentist when we moved here and now paying the price after a good few years of an NHS butcher who over drilled a root canal meaning the tooth remains crumbled away and any fillings he re-did needing doing again. I need some more work doing, but frankly, I'm scared to death, even of the new chap who's tried his best. To Philip, I was recommended a supposed excellent dental practice in Cambridge, with all the latest scanning and treatments available, but it's too far and I can't now afford it now, even if you can - to cap it all (sorry) I can't remember the name, but it wasn't far from the city centre I recall...
thomas
Old Hand

#4 Re: Dental matters.

Post by thomas »

Lee S wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:48 pm My wife is a dentist so we have a water flosser as we got it cheap. It's OK, but IMHO no substitute for either traditional floss or Te-Pe sticks. Ours is currently languishing at the back of the cupboard and never gets used, but we get through lots of floss. Make of that what you will. YMMV. :wink:

Ha yes!

One or two of my patients do swear by their water flossers although I suspect there are quite a few others languishing in the backs of cupboards.... if you can Te-pe then great; floss less effective but sometimes the only thing to pass through tight contacts, water flosser can be very effective for back teeth, or those with less than perfect contact points (filling/crown overhangs perhaps) or if you are less dextrous..... did your hygienist suggest one, Phil?
thomas
Old Hand

#5 Re: Dental matters.

Post by thomas »

DSJR wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:02 pm If we all flossed properly, we'd have no need for Hygenists - perhaps you could tell them that!!! patronising cows, some of them and I fell out with my last one as she was over-familiar to someone nearly pension age and the water cleaner she used hurt my ears, causing her to resort back to a good dig and scrape. I walked out of the room shaking like a leaf and could barely get down the stairs. I have to pay for their services FFS - they're not doing me a favour...

As for the rest of it, I'm frustrated at losing a kindly gentle highly skilled private dentist when we moved here and now paying the price after a good few years of an NHS butcher who over drilled a root canal meaning the tooth remains crumbled away and any fillings he re-did needing doing again. I need some more work doing, but frankly, I'm scared to death, even of the new chap who's tried his best. To Philip, I was recommended a supposed excellent dental practice in Cambridge, with all the latest scanning and treatments available, but it's too far and I can't now afford it now, even if you can - to cap it all (sorry) I can't remember the name, but it wasn't far from the city centre I recall...

Sorry to hear of your experiences....however hygienists are needed regardless of your oral health regime, although sometimes they can seem a little err harsh....
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#6 Re: Dental matters.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Another thing I can't do with one hand.