What's your mains voltage ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#46 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by ed »

I think I'm with Ray on this one.

Weren't we talking about what comes out of the mains socket on the wall. Now we seem to be talking about what you can do with the mains that comes out of the wall.

If we're talking about products then isn't that a different topic/thread......

astounded by hifi enthusiasts paying £10k for regeneration though, whats wrong with this at £275

https://www.powerinspired.com/store/ag5 ... -1811.html

or it's bigger brother for £500. As for 2 tons of equipment, well that's just something else......just saying
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#47 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by Nick »

jack wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:18 am
Nick wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:37 am
At its heart is a completely bog standard online ups.
Don't think it is, last time I looked the PS audio units worked by comparing the incoming mains with a ideal reference then adding or subtracting as required from the source mains to achieve the reference on the output. It may only need to provide 10% or less of the actual power transmitted so it can live without the fans that a conventional UPS would need.
Quote from the usual marketing crap at https://www.psaudio.com/directstream-p20-power-plant/:
"The P20 converts your home’s variable, compromised AC power into pure DC, then back again into safe, protected, regulated, perfect AC. "

The bit I really liked was the reference to "holographic imaging".

Oh well...
I stand corrected, looks like they have gone with full regeneration.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
chris661
Shed dweller

#48 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by chris661 »

If anyone wants to try a mains supply with solid-state-amplifier distortion figures, I've got an amp that'll do up to 270v RMS at the terminals. You could even use it as a variac.

Might be worth a try at Owston.

Chris
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#49 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by Ray P »

239.5 here at 07:00hrs today.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#50 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:42 pm 239.5 here at 07:00hrs today.
Bottom line is that it's variable and not predictable (except that at peak times it's likely to drop a bit and the frequency increase slightly).
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#51 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:29 pm
Ray P wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:42 pm 239.5 here at 07:00hrs today.
Bottom line is that it's variable and not predictable (except that at peak times it's likely to drop a bit and the frequency increase slightly).
Yep, thus has it always been so....
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#52 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by IslandPink »

Except that ( it's been an interesting survey ) it's not that variable at any given location, from those that have posted repeat results ( and my own experience ) - just a few volts. Plus nobody seems to have 220V or 230V , only a couple below 240V . Almost all within 240 to 252.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#53 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:21 am ...As for 2 tons of equipment, well that's just something else......just saying
It's 4 tonnes just for the batteries. The whole lot is well over 15 tonnes. For the SDMO genset on the roof we had to get structural engineers to design a concrete load-spreading platform.

Over the next 4 weeks of evenings and weekends I'm completely reworking it with a team of engineers. We're running 4 huge (each about 2.5" diameter) 3phase cables up the building, 2 to each of two floors, putting in new distribution boxes and rewiring all the desks, about, printers etc. to have redundant ups power. There's two small data center rooms in there too.

The two huge ups systems are being upgraded to 200kva each and phase locked to run in parallel for hot/hot redundancy.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#54 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:16 pm Except that ( it's been an interesting survey ) it's not that variable at any given location, from those that have posted repeat results ( and my own experience ) - just a few volts. Plus nobody seems to have 220V or 230V , only a couple below 240V . Almost all within 240 to 252.

Yep, AFAIK, nothing changed when the spec went down to 220v other than the spec.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#55 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by mainscablesrus »

The voltage used throughout Europe (including the UK) has been harmonised since January 2003 at a nominal 230v 50 Hz (formerly 240V in UK, 220V in the rest of Europe) but this does not mean there has been a real change in the supply.

Instead, the new “harmonised voltage limits” in most of Europe (the former 220V nominal countries) are now:

230V -10% +6% (i.e. 207.0 V-243.8 V)

In the UK (former 240V nominal) they are:

230V -6% +10% (i.e. 216.2 V – 253.0 V)

This effectively means there is no real change of supply voltage, only a change in the “label”, with no incentive for electricity supply companies to actually change the supply voltage.

To cope with both sets of limits all modern equipment will therefore be able to accept 230V +/-10% i.e. 207-253V.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#56 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by mainscablesrus »

So why was the original question asked?

Most of you won't have mains regenerators as you are un likely to be able to build your own and from what I have observed over the years of following some of you is that you don't believe in mains conditioning, so what's the point of this rather pointless thread?
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#57 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks Dave. Please read post #1.
I was just trying to get minimum wasted power in the filament supply boards on the new amp, because the heatsinks will get fairly hot. If I know the minimum volts I'm going to see in likely locations, I can make sure the toroids are down-rated on the main side but only enough to ensure I still get a clean DHT heater voltage ( ie. regulated ) .
Next question ?
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#58 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by mainscablesrus »

IslandPink wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:34 pm Thanks Dave. Please read post #1.
I was just trying to get minimum wasted power in the filament supply boards on the new amp, because the heatsinks will get fairly hot. If I know the minimum volts I'm going to see in likely locations, I can make sure the toroids are down-rated on the main side but only enough to ensure I still get a clean DHT heater voltage ( ie. regulated ) .
Next question ?
Yes but a 15 second google search will give you all you need.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#59 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by IslandPink »

Are you warming up for this year's Grumpy Yorkshireman finals, Dave ?
Nick
Site Admin

#60 Re: What's your mains voltage ?

Post by Nick »

Yes but a 15 second google search will give you all you need.
But it wont. Google will give what it can be, Mark wanted to know what it actually is.