2 2A3 Types, 5 Phonos, One Pair of Fanes.

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: 2 2A3 Types, 5 Phonos, One Pair of Fanes.

Post by IslandPink »

Interesting ...
Good write-up Steve, sounds like a very good and educational session.
I've never tried split-RIAA , though that was the feature of the Arthur Loesch one in SP many years ago. I just found that all-in-one passive seemed to get better as you increased the current in valve 1 ( and lowered the Zout ) and kept going that way ; with an aspiration to go to LCR eventually.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#17 Re: 2 2A3 Types, 5 Phonos, One Pair of Fanes.

Post by Ray P »

Thanks for a really enjoyable read Steve, great stuff. You get a real feel for theday's proceedings/outcomes.

As for the Transcendent 300Bs, the 25Hz filament supply arrangement is a bit of a compromise and there's a lot more music to be had with a full-house set of Andrew's DHT DC filament supplies - that would be a major rebuild though. I think you included the TL783 tweak when you did the original build?

I have been planning to bring my 300Bs up north for a while - I want to hear them with Colin's OBs - but haven't really been feeling well enough to motivate myself but if I can get off my backside it might be nice to swing by and hear them with your Fane's?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#18 Re: 2 2A3 Types, 5 Phonos, One Pair of Fanes.

Post by simon »

Nick wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:49 pm If someone wants to try building something similar to the Cole, I should have a pair of S&B 600R LCR modules somewhere about.

Very tempting Nick, very tempting. I'll drop you an email later on.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: 2 2A3 Types, 5 Phonos, One Pair of Fanes.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Ray P wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:02 pm Thanks for a really enjoyable read Steve, great stuff. You get a real feel for theday's proceedings/outcomes.

As for the Transcendent 300Bs, the 25Hz filament supply arrangement is a bit of a compromise and there's a lot more music to be had with a full-house set of Andrew's DHT DC filament supplies - that would be a major rebuild though. I think you included the TL783 tweak when you did the original build?

I have been planning to bring my 300Bs up north for a while - I want to hear them with Colin's OBs - but haven't really been feeling well enough to motivate myself but if I can get off my backside it might be nice to swing by and hear them with your Fane's?
Cheers Ray. Yes I think I did the TL783 tweak. IIRC Nigel had provided the chip upgrade kit which I installed when I built the amp for him.

You certainly can hear your own OTL with the Fanes if you are passing in the future. I may bring them to Owston; depends on how I'm feeling at the time. Failing that you are welcome at my place.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#20 Re: 2 2A3 Types, 5 Phonos, One Pair of Fanes.

Post by izzy wizzy »

IslandPink wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:01 pm Interesting ...
Good write-up Steve, sounds like a very good and educational session.
I've never tried split-RIAA , though that was the feature of the Arthur Loesch one in SP many years ago. I just found that all-in-one passive seemed to get better as you increased the current in valve 1 ( and lowered the Zout ) and kept going that way ; with an aspiration to go to LCR eventually.
My plan and experience same. To do split EQ you need 3 stages and I've always been a 2 stager :)

cheers,

Stephen
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#21 Re: 2 2A3 Types, 5 Phonos, One Pair of Fanes.

Post by Ray P »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:23 pm You certainly can hear your own OTL with the Fanes if you are passing in the future.
Cheers Steve.

We travel back from a holiday on the Saturday of Owston so If I manage to get along it'll just be the Sunday and I'll travel light so no 300B amps this time.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#22 Re: 2 2A3 Types, 5 Phonos, One Pair of Fanes.

Post by simon »

I'm a little late posting but Saturday was thoroughly enjoyable. I was only popping round for a couple of hours as I had stuff that needed doing, but ended up stopping nearly 6!

I agree with what's already been said about what we heard. The phonos were all very good and reassuringly the more they cost the better they were. And everyone thought so. We didn't know how much the DIYHiFiSupply Cole cost so it was difficult to place it value wise, but it was clearly the best. It had the wonderful air and ambience that valves have that the solid state amps that I've heard can't do. But I have a valve "head".

The phono 1 and Nick's were of a similar level of performance, my personal preference was for Nick's.
For me the phono 2 and Decware were on a par - different flavours but similar level of performance. I prefered the air of the Decware to the solidity and drive of the phono 2. The Cole had the best of both of them. Sweet.

The phonos were a big bonus as the reason I'd popped over was to hear the Fanes. And they're as good as everyone says. Yeah, if you were to listen to modern dance music you would notice a bit of missing bass, but for most music they're just very musical. Nice. I'll be buying a pair.

The 300B OTLs were a bonus bonus. It's a heck of a lot of kit for a whole 1.5W, but what a nice 1.5W they are. They worked really well with the 100dB Fanes.

And finally the 2A3s. The RCAs are a lot nicer than the Sovteks I first started out with all those years ago. So I was very interested to hear the big JJs. I found it very difficult to tease out the differences from the listening we did, which probably says they're in a similar ballpark. Fortunately Steve packed me off home with them for more detailed listening. :-).
steve s
Shed dweller

#23 Re: 2 2A3 Types, 5 Phonos, One Pair of Fanes.

Post by steve s »

Wish I'd been there .. can't wait to hear these new speakers at owston
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ant
Shed dweller

#24 Re: 2 2A3 Types, 5 Phonos, One Pair of Fanes.

Post by Ant »

Don't think they are going AFAIK steve
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#25 Re: 2 2A3 Types, 5 Phonos, One Pair of Fanes.

Post by Cressy Snr »

steve s wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:44 am Wish I'd been there .. can't wait to hear these new speakers at owston
I haven't made my mind up on the speaker front yet Steve. Depends on how I'm feeling on the day.
steve s
Shed dweller

#26 Re: 2 2A3 Types, 5 Phonos, One Pair of Fanes.

Post by steve s »

That's fine Steve. How about another mini meet at mine when you get chance? I was talking to Scot earlier he's looking forwards to hearing them too...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: 2 2A3 Types, 5 Phonos, One Pair of Fanes.

Post by pre65 »

An interesting and informative account of the days proceedings.

Thanks to those who were there. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#28 Re: 2 2A3 Types, 5 Phonos, One Pair of Fanes.

Post by Cressy Snr »

steve s wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:27 pm That's fine Steve. How about another mini meet at mine when you get chance? I was talking to Scot earlier he's looking forwards to hearing them too...
Aye,
Can do that, no probs. :)