New language...

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 New language...

Post by jack »

So, for a lot of my career I've done both software and hardware development... More years of many languages, especially C++, than I care to try to remember....

But never VHDL until now!

Been reading up for some months and working through loads of examples. Really liked the free pdf "Free range VHDL" by Bryan Mealy and Fabrizio Tappero. My sort of book at a price I like...

Now have bought a Digilent BASYS3 board. Comes with Xilinx Vivado licenses and a raft of tutorials...

Digilent also have the "Arty" board at USD 99 which is a bit less full-featured but with the same FPGA...

These are seriously powerful mixed-mode devices...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: New language...

Post by Nick »

If you are anything like me you will have had to work hard not to think of the code in procedural terms instead of as the hardware it sythsises into. And then if you need it you can just drop a open core into the mix and write some c for that just because you can.

One of my should get around to is to play with the little dev board I have that I had plans over a year ago to wrap a dac and dac around to mess with the sap multiply blocks and implement some filters.

Aliong similar lines the code and libs for coding to graphics cards is rather cute as well if you have not looked at that before.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: New language...

Post by jack »

As it happens, I've done enough digital design in the past that concurrency vs. sequential vs. procedural hasn't been an issue.

The language is pretty straightforward - it's getting 100% with the design paradigms that's taken a bit of time - data flow vs. behavioral modeling vs. structural...
ed
retired

#4 Re: New language...

Post by ed »

Boy oh boy, I'm glad I've retired...

I had a few nights of disturbed sleep when converting to OO. When I say converting I really mean working in conjunction with.

I wish you luck...I'm happy to leave it all to the kids now.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: New language...

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:47 pm Boy oh boy, I'm glad I've retired...

I had a few nights of disturbed sleep when converting to OO. When I say converting I really mean working in conjunction with.

I wish you luck...I'm happy to leave it all to the kids now.
Kids, eh? :D

I turned 60 just over a month ago.
ed
retired

#6 Re: New language...

Post by ed »

jack wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:49 pm
Kids, eh? :D

I turned 60 just over a month ago.
as I said, I leave it to the kids now...

snigger
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be