Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#46 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Nick »

Can I just say Steve, I find that offensive on Davids behalf.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#47 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

It's not about David Nick, its about a way of thinking, that's all.
I've nothing against anyone personally, just making an observation, No offence was intended.

I'll probably give Owston a miss this time round.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Nick
Site Admin

#48 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Nick »

Cressy Snr wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:57 pm It's not about David Nick, its about a way of thinking, that's all.
I've nothing against anyone personally, just making an observation, No offence was intended.

I'll probably give Owston a miss this year, maybe for good.
Well, it may not have been intended, but I can assure you thats the way I have taken it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#49 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

OK. whatever.
chris661
Shed dweller

#50 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by chris661 »

I think it'll be interesting to see what the cost-no-object stuff is like. I certainly don't see it as a bad thing.

There are a couple of possible outcomes from comparing a top-end commercial amp to our own gear:

Option 1 - our gear really isn't far behind at all, and might surpass it in some areas. In that case, pats on the back all-round. Octal relay holders screwed to bits of MDF might not be as pretty as an expensive commercial offering, but if the sound's there, it's difficult to argue with that.

Option 2 - we're miles behind, and the expensive commercial offering annihilates everything. In that case, we're all gonna be a bit disgruntled, and then realise that we've now got a target to aim at - a better overview of the grand scheme of things. The best thing about knowing the pecking order is the knowledge that we can move up.

To be honest, I don't think we're going to be far off. The OTL at the weekend, for instance, was about as good as any amp I've heard. Steve S's vintage valves and Nick's 211 are all up there, too. Sure, they're some of the best amps around here, but if our best can match the work of the top-end HiFi world, then I think we as a community are doing alright.

I don't like to contradict you, Steve, but I think you've got the wrong angle on this one. Remember that £6500(+VAT) worth of Crown's best touring amplifier didn't sound streets ahead of anything else at yours - they were all in a similar league. I really do think it'll be a similar story with this £42,000 unit.

Chris
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#51 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Thing is, If I want to listen to, say a 100 grand system I can go to a conventional show. Yes it's all very nice and I wouldn’t intentionally hurt a fly, but it's all getting way too over the top.
It was fun on Saturday, whipping my speakers with those pro amps, but pro amps are there to do a job of work they have a reason to be.
Zillion pound domestic hi-fi is just insane.

Maybe the makers of such desiderata genuinely believe they are pushing at the outer limits of what is possible and YMMV and all the usual disclaimers, but personally I find that sort of stuff offensive to my delicate sensibilities.
I've nothing against those who make a living selling such erotica to those with bottomless pockets and impeccable taste, good luck to them I say.

Sorry for any offence caused but I'm not going to make it my problem.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Mon May 21, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve s
Shed dweller

#52 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by steve s »

I've got a treat for next year ( 2019) lined up...
High end will not describe it ? virtually unobtainable and shit... it will have to be 3 stages... that nearly gives it away.. it's a valve amp !!
This year I'll have to make do with the soon to be slightly modded px25 again...
Btw I'm more than happy for people to bring what they like.. it's a good mix as it is.. bought kit and diy
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#53 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by mainscablesrus »

Why bother building anything if you never get a chance to compare it to something else whether the something else costs £500 or £50,000

If I was building stuff I would relish the chance to bake it off against something exotic, indeed I thoroughly enjoyed others trying to get a phono amp to beat Nick's.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Nick
Site Admin

#54 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Nick »

Ed's original point is a good one, it seems that there was a small point in time where valve amps had become of interest again, but before the imports of £600 amps that would take three times that price to DIY. It seems that point has passed now, there are still a lot of folk working away at the edges of audio but most of that space is not the solder a few parts together on a bread board sort.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#55 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

mainscablesrus wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:31 pm Why bother building anything if you never get a chance to compare it to something else whether the something else costs £500 or £50,000

If I was building stuff I would relish the chance to bake it off against something exotic, indeed I thoroughly enjoyed others trying to get a phono amp to beat Nick's.
What if you just build audio stuff for no other reason than it's what you like to do?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#56 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:04 pm
mainscablesrus wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:31 pm Why bother building anything if you never get a chance to compare it to something else whether the something else costs £500 or £50,000

What if you just build audio stuff for no other reason than it's what you like to do?
It's still nice to compare it with other kit.

I'm sure that comparing your NVA amps with your valve jobbie was a interesting comparison. I'd certainly like to hear Daves monster amp, and how it compares to Nicks offerings, and others in the room.

It's been said that our (Nicks/Pauls + mine) 833a amps sounded better than commercial models at eye watering prices so one never knows. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#57 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Comparing implies making value judgements about the worthiness of one thing as opposed to the worthiness of the other.

To successfully compare requires there to be a high degree of trust among those participating, and for people to be up-front and straight with each other, as it was was on Saturday at my place, with Chris and Dave, or as it always is at Steve's with Scott, Steve and Ed (or Nick and Paul a good few years ago now).

That essential trust was lost at Owston last year, and as a result, no audio equipment of mine is going there. I will not put myself in a situation like that again, it's really that simple.

I'll come for the crack and I'll fetch the DIYNVA for Nick to listen to, but thats it for my own gear.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#58 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Re my earlier rudeness about expensive exotica: I'm not the same person I was three months ago; there will be teething troubles.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#59 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by mainscablesrus »

Cressy Snr wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:24 pm Comparing implies making value judgements about the worthiness of one thing as opposed to the worthiness of the other.

To successfully compare requires there to be a high degree of trust among those participating, and for people to be up-front and straight with each other, as it was was on Saturday at my place, with Chris and Dave, or as it always is at Steve's with Scott, Steve and Ed (or Nick and Paul a good few years ago now).

That essential trust was lost at Owston last year, and as a result, no audio equipment of mine is going there. I will not put myself in a situation like that again, it's really that simple.

I'll come for the crack and I'll fetch the DIYNVA for Nick to listen to, but thats it for my own gear.
Was not there last year but if someone had said something about something I had brought along either to my face or behind my back guess what I would do? F...K ALL

Nothing phases me, nothing bothers me, nothing offends me, couldn't care less what people think of my gear, that's just me, why do grown men get all hot and bothered over such trivial matters? I thought that was for women. :D
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#60 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by mainscablesrus »

Not thread hijacking but don't forget the meeting at my place this saturday, all welcome.