Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#76 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Mike H »

Neal wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:28 pm Late to the discussion, I hate seeing our group split over some quite trivial stuff in the great scheme of things. Steve please come along and bring your stuff, I’d love to hear it as I would a really expensive system from Dave and of course compared to Nicks creation...personally I’ll find it fascinating in a non judgmental way. It’s just a hobby at the end of the day.
IslandPink wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:31 pm ...Second what Neal says, and get some calcium and magnesium, the body is just a biochemical machine after all :) .

Over several fests I've found it hugely educational and inspiring even, and so can see how to improve things and in what directions, what new ideas to investigate, even that anything needs to change at all. Think it was Simon said once that without the fests you lose the plot of where it's got to and what else to do with it.

I still think it's bluddy amazing that any of us can make this stuff at all and that it works. A triumph of human ingenuity and persistence. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
little eddy
Old Hand

#77 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by little eddy »

I am hoping to bring my 'cheap as chips' £70 hybrid, and also Niobium 41MP pre / LM3886 power amps if finished.

As one of the more junior members, I don't mind being humbled but always learn a lot, even if it is just that I still have a long way to go. Listening to the best systems whether they are commercial or DIY designs is what keeps me striving to improve my system. I am never going to strive for a 200W SS monster, just as I doubt I want to work with 1000V, so I am never going to match some of the demonstrated kit.
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
steve s
Shed dweller

#78 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by steve s »

Thanks gents its nice to have the continued support for this event.. I too do it because I always learn something... and they are good social events with people I like to think of as mates..
Other people bringing good (bought or diy) gear is, I know, the point of it all... but is also the icing on the cake for me.
Remember I need a fair % your support for it to succeed every year.
Thanks Steve
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
JohnG
Old Hand

#79 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by JohnG »

I went as a first time visitor last year, and intend to visit this year, with a years more experience under my belt.
The whole event for me was a great day out and my kind of place.
It may have changed as well as evolved and the back bone members of the forum, whom will have been instrumental in making early Owston happen, may be working differently within their present projects, more knowing of their wants, but if I am reading it correctly these members are still stimulated and willing to attend and support Owston.
Any newcomer will only benefit from this, and as they settle in will have their enquires met with overwhelming replies.

I met a mixed bag of enthusiasts last year,and left the venue liking the rapore and shared views between the attendees.
I have encouraged a few non members with speaker building ambitions to visit,feeling sure they will have a good experience.
From my end, the more variety of works presented, the more broadening the knowledge and valuable experience to be left in the events wake.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#80 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Neal wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:28 pm Late to the discussion, I hate seeing our group split over some quite trivial stuff in the great scheme of things. Steve please come along and bring your stuff, I’d love to hear it as I would a really expensive system from Dave and of course compared to Nicks creation...personally I’ll find it fascinating in a non judgmental way. It’s just a hobby at the end of the day.
Well when you put it like that :)

I may bring the speakers, depending on how things are by the end of June, but if I do bring a system, may I respectfully request that people just be aware that I'm recovering from a pretty debilitating mental disorder that has left me in a pretty weak state and just be straightforward about the system. No need to walk on eggshells; constructive criticism is welcome, suggestions for improvements are equally welcome.

I enjoyed last years event as I have enjoyed all of them since Eggborough. It was what happened to me on here last July that soured everything.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Neal
Shed dweller

#81 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Neal »

Great look forward to to Steve :thumbright:
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
chris661
Shed dweller

#82 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by chris661 »

I think it's difficult, sometimes, to figure out what to say. We all try to be supportive of each other's efforts, but we all have feelings about each other's gear, positive or negative.

From my point of view, if someone comes along and says "it sounds shit", that's not constructive, it's just an insult. If they say "it sounds like there's a bit of midrange coming out the bass port, and a notch filter might take down that peak in the treble", then that's worth talking about. If there's a box o' bits there, we could probably even rig something up and see if it improves things.
Better still (again, from my point of view) is if we can take a quick before/after measurement and see how the graphs and our perceptions line up.

One man's "detail" is another man's "forward, screechy upper-midrange", after all.

Chris
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#83 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ain't it just.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#84 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

So I would prefer, about my own fumblings, That sounds like shit ( aka not very good) because...

I want reasons.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#85 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

You mean like:

Owston 2016.

Nick: Steve, that amp's broken, it's slew limiting, you need a cathode follower before your power valves or a mosfet.

Me: Er...right, I'll have a look at that when I get home.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
andrew Ivimey

#86 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Slew limiting hmmmmmm not sure what I'd make of that
Twas a similar thing to being told my amp was drawing grid current as it got quieter and quieter.... I learned something and took steps yo make sure it wouldn't happen again.

Worse things happen at sea!
ed
retired

#87 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by ed »

Steve you'll have to put me down as a maybe....

the mem sahib has a speed awareness course booked for the 30th June and I'm not sure if she can, or wants to try re-arranging it.

oh waily waily...
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#88 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

As I am doing the North West Audio Hi-Fi show the weekend before I am now not sure if I will come, it depends how knackered I am in the week before.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#89 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by The Stratmangler »

ed wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:53 am Steve you'll have to put me down as a maybe....

the mem sahib has a speed awareness course booked for the 30th June and I'm not sure if she can, or wants to try re-arranging it.

oh waily waily...
Bring the nipper with you.
It's what I did on more than one occasion.
Chris :happy3:
ed
retired

#90 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by ed »

nice thought Chris....but

little mangler and Seb are not the same kind of beastie and I don't think my nerves would be up to it
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be