Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#61 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

mainscablesrus wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:11 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:24 pm Comparing implies making value judgements about the worthiness of one thing as opposed to the worthiness of the other.

To successfully compare requires there to be a high degree of trust among those participating, and for people to be up-front and straight with each other, as it was was on Saturday at my place, with Chris and Dave, or as it always is at Steve's with Scott, Steve and Ed (or Nick and Paul a good few years ago now).

That essential trust was lost at Owston last year, and as a result, no audio equipment of mine is going there. I will not put myself in a situation like that again, it's really that simple.

I'll come for the crack and I'll fetch the DIYNVA for Nick to listen to, but thats it for my own gear.
Was not there last year but if someone had said something about something I had brought along either to my face or behind my back guess what I would do? F...K ALL

Nothing phases me, nothing bothers me, nothing offends me, couldn't care less what people think of my gear, that's just me, why do grown men get all hot and bothered over such trivial matters? I thought that was for women. :D
FYI David, and you weren't to know, but my mental health has been rather poor over the years. If I could have pulled myself together and manned up as you imply I should have, I would have done it in a heartbeat long ago, long before any of you even knew I existed, rather than have endured the pain of the Generalised Anxiety Disorder I have only recently been diagnosed with.

But I'm being treated for it now and need to look to the future.
As I said in my last post, there will be teething troubles.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#62 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Mike H »

Hang in there Steve. I also have a history of depression and feelings of uselessness so can sympathise.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#63 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by izzy wizzy »

mainscablesrus wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:11 pm Nothing phases me, nothing bothers me, nothing offends me, couldn't care less what people think of my gear, that's just me, why do grown men get all hot and bothered over such trivial matters? I thought that was for women. :D
I'm going in here a bit ignorant. I wasn't aware that MCRUS was a DIYer/designer/builder guy but a dealer. Assuming I have that right, I'll carry on. If you design your own gear, then you have a personal investment and so people saying bad stuff about your own stuff that you've poured your heart and soul into can hurt. Poking fun at people that are more onthe sensitive side when showing no understanding why is a bit crap IMHO.

I get where Steve is coming from re comparisons to so called exotica in that it isn't comparing the same things. I didn't see his comment as offensive and have re-read countless times to se how it could be and as MCRUS can't be offended, why does Nick step in? Curious.

OTOH, I'd love to compare my stuff to commercial gear cost no object to see where my stuff stands. After going to Munich this year, I couldn't believe the level of BS and marketing triumph over actual good sound. Except for the Living Voice room. Now that was WOW!

I would love to come to one of these meets but it's a bloody long way though closer than Munich. In fact, I should have swapped and spent the time heading North instead. Maybe next time :)

cheers,

Stephen
Last edited by izzy wizzy on Tue May 22, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#64 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by pre65 »

Last time I said something in defence of David,Nick chided me and said David was more than capable of looking after himself. :?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

#65 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by ed »

the moon is a harsh mistress.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#66 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Stranger in a Strange Land

Why did I say that!?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#67 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by izzy wizzy »

We're going on a Heinlein romp?
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#68 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

A Glory Road...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#69 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by IslandPink »

izzy wizzy wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:57 pm I would love to come to one of these meets but it's a bloody long way though closer than Munich. In fact, I should have swapped and spent the time heading North instead. Maybe next time :)
Yes do come if you can - but if you hadn't been to Munich and heard the V.O's, we wouldn't have had a fully reliable assessment of them from an experienced DIY builder - and this matters !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
shane
Social outcast

#70 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by shane »

I’ve always sworn to myself that I’d come to Owston one day although it’s a long old road from here, and I still hope to do so one day despite the slight feeling that I’ve missed the glory days. Isn’t it just s case of evolution though? It’s still the same core group that it was fifteen years ago, but you’ve all moved on. Some have reached the limit of their abilities, some have reached a point where they feel they’ve achieved what they set out to achieve, and one or two have moved on to a higher level. As a result there simply isn’t the same level of diy activity that there used to be and Owston needs a different focus. The chance to compare DIY efforts to real high end domestic and pro gear gives it a new direction, and without that it would probably just fade away. It’s still the same people though, plus a few new ones, and it’s thd people that make it what it is.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#71 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Mike H wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:42 pm Hang in there Steve. I also have a history of depression and feelings of uselessness so can sympathise.
Thanks Mike
At the moment I'm absolutely knackered, physically, due to coming down from over 20 years of virtually constant high anxiety levels. My mood has levelled out and the anxiety has dispersed. The intrusive thoughts have faded a lot, and those that do occur don't cause a fight or flight response, and I'm much more capable of rational thinking when confronted by one of these thoughts, so the anxiety increasing intensity cycle is being broken by the medication and the mindfulness practice.

I'm feeling much better now than I did a few months ago.

EDIT
Anyway, Mental Health Week has been and gone, so I'll quit polluting this thread with irrelevance.
Hopefully, at least some awareness might have been been raised.

Peace :flower: :flower:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Neal
Shed dweller

#72 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Neal »

Late to the discussion, I hate seeing our group split over some quite trivial stuff in the great scheme of things. Steve please come along and bring your stuff, I’d love to hear it as I would a really expensive system from Dave and of course compared to Nicks creation...personally I’ll find it fascinating in a non judgmental way. It’s just a hobby at the end of the day.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#73 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by IslandPink »

...Second what Neal says, and get some calcium and magnesium, the body is just a biochemical machine after all :) .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#74 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by mainscablesrus »

izzy wizzy wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:57 pm
mainscablesrus wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:11 pm Nothing phases me, nothing bothers me, nothing offends me, couldn't care less what people think of my gear, that's just me, why do grown men get all hot and bothered over such trivial matters? I thought that was for women. :D
I'm going in here a bit ignorant. I wasn't aware that MCRUS was a DIYer/designer/builder guy but a dealer. Assuming I have that right, I'll carry on. If you design your own gear, then you have a personal investment and so people saying bad stuff about your own stuff that you've poured your heart and soul into can hurt. Poking fun at people that are more onthe sensitive side when showing no understanding why is a bit crap IMHO.

I get where Steve is coming from re comparisons to so called exotica in that it isn't comparing the same things. I didn't see his comment as offensive and have re-read countless times to se how it could be and as MCRUS can't be offended, why does Nick step in? Curious.

OTOH, I'd love to compare my stuff to commercial gear cost no object to see where my stuff stands. After going to Munich this year, I couldn't believe the level of BS and marketing triumph over actual good sound. Except for the Living Voice room. Now that was WOW!

I would love to come to one of these meets but it's a bloody long way though closer than Munich. In fact, I should have swapped and spent the time heading North instead. Maybe next time :)

cheers,

Stephen
I though Mr Scotts room sounded shite but that's just me.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#75 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by izzy wizzy »

mainscablesrus wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:40 pm I though Mr Scotts room sounded shite but that's just me.
Well it was certainly very different to just about everything else there so if that's your reference.....