New Listening Room

Subjects that don't have their own home
gninnam
Old Hand

#1 New Listening Room

Post by gninnam »

After 13 years of having my HiFi stuffed in the middle room of the house, we have finally had a move around and I managed to get the end room with new furniture and stuff.
Think it looks good and so far I think it sounds better too :D

First picture shows the new listening couch, LP holders and lamp, plus foot stool (for big feet...)

Second picture shows the rig on its new/old rack (made the rack many years ago but never got to use it properly - not 100% happy with it so might change it down the line)

Also swapped out the Michell ISO MC phone stage for a Cairn Boost phono stage. It supports MC and MM and can be configured so playing around with some of the settings with the MC to see what sounds good

Apart from the speakers bought from Colin and the rack made by yours truly, I am afraid missing a lot of DIY :oops:

One day I will get back into building my own stuff, but for the mo, just enjoying the tunes!!
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#2 Re: New Listening Room

Post by Scottmoose »

That's the object.

Room looks great. :)
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
gninnam
Old Hand

#3 Re: New Listening Room

Post by gninnam »

Scottmoose wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:36 pm That's the object.

Room looks great. :)
Cheers and agree :D
Nanook of the North
User

#4 Re: New Listening Room

Post by Nanook of the North »

Kind of reminds me of the Holburn hifi listening room in Aberdeen.

I prey the sound of your new set up is better.

Don't like multi array speakers though, its like the designer said this just dont sound right.....I've an idea lets add another driver....wait a minute that still don't sound right....ive an idea lets add another driver....wait a minute.

Well you get the picture.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#5 Re: New Listening Room

Post by Scottmoose »

Since I designed them, I can assure you they always had 4 midbass drivers. That's the entire point.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
gninnam
Old Hand

#6 Re: New Listening Room

Post by gninnam »

Scottmoose wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:17 pm Since I designed them, I can assure you they always had 4 midbass drivers. That's the entire point.
And a grand job you did too :mrgreen: 8)
Love the sound coming from them and they work well in the new room.
Lee S
Old Hand

#7 Re: New Listening Room

Post by Lee S »

Looks very snug and intimate..... Love it !! 8)
©2020 Lee
gninnam
Old Hand

#8 Re: New Listening Room

Post by gninnam »

Lee S wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:04 pm Looks very snug and intimate..... Love it !! 8)
Thanks Lee
Neal
Shed dweller

#9 Re: New Listening Room

Post by Neal »

Good job there, how stable is that Gyro on the top of the rack? Any chance of getting it on a solid wall bracket? IE brick up that door! LOL! :D
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
gninnam
Old Hand

#10 Re: New Listening Room

Post by gninnam »

Neal wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:13 am Good job there, how stable is that Gyro on the top of the rack? Any chance of getting it on a solid wall bracket? IE brick up that door! LOL! :D
:lol:
Replacing the rack in the next week or so for something lower and wider so will remove that issue (though not noticed any issues with the sound coming from the TT.
gninnam
Old Hand

#11 Re: New Listening Room

Post by gninnam »

Spent the weekend changing the rack as wasn't happy with the original one.
Used the Ikea Lacks with extra wood inserted in the hollow legs allowing me to put inserts in so I could screw in spikes - looks a lot better and very stable.
A few pics:

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#12 Re: New Listening Room

Post by simon »

Nice Ikea hack!

Interesting use of Lacks. I cut the legs down on one once to fit under a desk - they were a hollow plastic. Did you just glue some wood at the cut ends or fill the legs so it bears on the top of the leg?
gninnam
Old Hand

#13 Re: New Listening Room

Post by gninnam »

Thanks.
A mixture of both - but most have tons of glue in then the wood pushed in so the glue spews out.
Seems to work well so far :D
gninnam
Old Hand

#14 Re: New Listening Room

Post by gninnam »

Hurrah - Had a change around today. Moved the music room from the sun room to the larger front room, the TV is now in the middle room and the dining table in the sun room.

My speakers now have room to breathe and they are sounding awesome :)
Had to make up some speaker cable (gone from 2 metres to 7 metres.....) but not an issue.

Now looks like this:

Just enjoying the new lease of life the new room is making with the extra volume of the room :)
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#15 Re: New Listening Room

Post by Scottmoose »

Nice. :)

FWIW, I suspect the power-response will suit the larger space; if things get a mite confined the top end might seem a touch over-done. That should come down in the bigger room.