General Raspberry Pi stuff

Subjects that don't have their own home
Neal
Shed dweller

#16 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

Upgrading to the latest version of Stretch overwrites any custom config files you may have, it’s supposed to place them in an oldconfigfile directory...except for me it didn’t! It also removed my python script files... :(

The RunReset pin function has changed on the B+ as you now have to pick up a gnd connection from the top hat header if you want to use a switch on Run. The other pin header is now labeled as PEN....some googling required on this.....
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Neal
Shed dweller

#17 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

There seems to be an issue upgrading pihole 3.3.x to v4.0. The access to github seems to be blocked by pihole itself, so when you run pihole -up the upgrade script can’t find the latest FTL. The fix is to edit resolv.conf and point it to google 8.8.8.8 instead of 127.0.0.1

Disable pihole via the web interface if still accessible or via the command line pihole disable then run pihole -r to repair

Enable pihole afterwards
Max N
Old Hand

#18 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Max N »

I'm looking to buy a raspberry pi to experiment with as a roon endpoint.
What's the consensus on whether to go with a 4 or a 3? The only reason I'm hesitating is that the 4 apparently runs hotter, so if a 3 is enough then is that the better choice? But then the 3 shares the USB and ethernet buses - or something.......so requires a separate USB hat for best audio performance....?
How difficult is it to build a Pi 4 into a passive enclosure (no fans) and keep the temperatures sensible?
Cheers
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#19 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

The 3 is easily powerful enough and is available off the shelf. It doesn't require a beefed up PSU or extra cooling.

All my endpoints are Pi3B+s with IQaudIO hats.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Max N
Old Hand

#20 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Max N »

Thanks Nick that’s very useful, cheers
Neal
Shed dweller

#21 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

Yup, I think the extra performance of the 4 only comes into play if you are considering the RPi as a NAS device with associated mirrored drives etc.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#22 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Paul Barker »

This conversation is showing me I’ve fallen so far behind.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#23 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Ray P »

If anyone is looking this might be a bargain?

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-me ... sport.html
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Neal
Shed dweller

#24 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

Finally got around to installing Logitech Media Server on a spare RPi

Could have just installed picoreplayer and saved time but for a general type install I did the following.

Install Raspbian, boot, login then:

Update with: sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Download latest version: wget -O logitechmediaserver_arm.deb $(wget -q -O - "http://www.mysqueezebox.com/update/?ver ... &os=debarm")

Install: dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_arm.deb

Install will fail due to dependencies so fix with: apt --fix-broken install

As my music is on a Network Share (NSA320s) set up a mount point:
sudo su
cd /home/pi
mkdir nsa320s
cd nsa320s
mkdir musicshare

Edit fstab to make permanent: sudo nano /etc/fstab

Add this line to the end of fstab using the local IP address of the NAS box: //192.168.1.98/music /home/pi/nsa320s/musicshare cifs guest,_netdev 0 0

Mount the share: sudo mount -a

reboot
ed
retired

#25 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by ed »

fwiw I'm a month down the line after installing a pi3 b+ with picoreplayer. It runs both squeezelite and LMS and it's much faster than the BBB and zyxel nas it replaced.....It's still using the old behringer DAC but after the initial setup issues(thanks Simon and Chris) it's as good as I want...recommended!

if something stirs in the undergrowth to upset the tranquility I'll let somebody else deal with it, I'm too busy listening to music.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Neal
Shed dweller

#26 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

Been playing with an RPi 4b as a desktop machine and it works quite well, certainly better than the 3b. I have the 2GB version the 4GB should be even better.

I didn't know this but you can get the Pin header info from the command line on the RPi by typing PINOUT....neat and saves having to google it!

The 4 needs active or large passive cooling, I went for active and bought a fanshim form here: https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/fan-shim

It simply slides on to the fist 6 pin pairs of the header, no screws or soldering....tbh its not ideal and I had to bend one row of 6 pins to create a bit more friction and better contact. Theres a script that is run at boot time where you can set upper and lower CPU temps for the fan to cut in and out automatically, many RPi4 case fans are very noisy but this one is quiet enough when running.

Something else you can do is add a shut down and run switch using dtoverlay, this works well on GPIO 3 but as the fanshim is using those pins I've compromised and added just a shutdown to GPIO 16 (pins 36, 34) using a momentary push switch. You then need to add dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown,gpio_pin=16 to /boot/config.txt for it to work.

The Pi remains powered though so you still need a switch in the power line to turn is off completely.
gninnam
Old Hand

#27 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by gninnam »

Nice work - been using a few of PI4's for a few months now - one as a NAS server, one as a retro gaming machine (RETROPI with 128Gb of retro games) and one for digital streaming using Volumio.

Today I received and fitted a DSI connected 7 inch touchscreen to the Volumio PI and work a treat - a few crappy pics:

Just need to design a case for it and print it out!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#28 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

Interesting!

At the moment, I'm busy playing with ESP32s and the ESP-IDF development environment with Eclipse as the IDE...

For $5, it's an amazing device...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Neal
Shed dweller

#29 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

Bit too ‘geeky’ for me but curious as to what you are building Nick....some neat ideas here: https://hackaday.io/projects?tag=ESP32 WiPhone looks interesting....
Neal
Shed dweller

#30 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

I’m it the process of installing a CCTV monitor for a local sports club using a RPi 4, taps into the cameras rstp feeds and displays them on a rotating 2x4 or single 1x4 screen. The app is displaycameras and intended for UniFi cameras but it works with others as well.

https://github.com/Anonymousdog/

Yes that’s my junk room/office/workshop!