Spectre & Meltdown CPU vulnerabilities...

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#16 Re: Spectre & Meltdown CPU vulnerabilities...

Post by Nick »

Whilst it's generally accepted that Linus is a Git
Well, he did write it :-)
he has a point regarding Intel being economical with the actualité and dissembling on these issues.
Yes, that was my point, that ARM doc is a good example, I think Intel would have removed the 3b column, and then said just that no current CPU's are vulnerable and quietly pushed the changes out to the A75 licences under a NDA.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#17 Re: Spectre & Meltdown CPU vulnerabilities...

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:43 am
Whilst it's generally accepted that Linus is a Git
Well, he did write it :-)
It was an "in" joke, which is why "Git" has a capital "G"...

He says named it Git as a form of nominative determinism - he admits he is and regards himself as a complete git.

So maybe he has a sense of irony/humor in that weirdly Finnish way... :dontknow:

Footnote: I'm attempting to learn some Arabic whilst I'm out here. There's a bit of apocrypha that "Git" means "pregnant camel" in Arabic. Whilst there are a fair few words for camel in Arabic, "git" (or phonetic versions of it) aren't there in any dialect I can find. It's a myth, sadly.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#18 Re: Spectre & Meltdown CPU vulnerabilities...

Post by Nick »

Oh, I think he has a perfectly good sense of humour.
Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#19 Re: Spectre & Meltdown CPU vulnerabilities...

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:59 am Oh, I think he has a perfectly good sense of humour.
Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.
that's not humour or irony.....

that's pathos...snigger
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#20 Re: Spectre & Meltdown CPU vulnerabilities...

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:48 pm
Nick wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:59 am Oh, I think he has a perfectly good sense of humour.
that's not humour or irony.....

that's pathos...snigger
Nah. He's an engineer, so more likely to be logos. i.e. a non-emotional & logical deduction.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt