The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#541 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Nick wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:34 pm If you have the original reg number you should be able to get a log book for it and keep the original plates AFAIK. If you don't have the original reg, then if you have the engine number and frame number you may still be able to find the original reg number.
All done and dusted before me, I didn't have to do nowt, original reg 303 UYW, was registered 2017 as had been offroad for so long it had dropped off DVLA's records, but dating letter from club dating officer got it back on.

Historic vehicle, zero tax, (but you stil have to apply, = £0.00), MOT exempt. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#542 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am Phwooooar, nice one Mike, that'll keep you busy for a while but I'm sure it'll be worth it when you're pounding the local streets on awethumne style! :)
Thanks, lots of country lanes near me so ideal for it, I think. Also quite a healthy local club branch, was up the pub with them last night, along with my postman who took me there and is getting one himself. We both joined up beforehand.

BTW I was wrong it seems all clues point to it being an actual D1, 125cc.
1st , Mike could check that no one else has 'claimed ' the original reg number it was issued with in the 1950s. The DVLA website has a search facility to check such things.
See above. :D
Flippin awethumne fun playing with old bikes innit. I'm on the look out for an old moped next, I want a complete saveable project, summat like a Norman (from, Ashford, Kent, whahey!) Or a Raleigh Runabout . 49cc or even a 98cc big-boy mean machine...
Yes not been so active for ages. I had one before so funny how memory kicks in and I know how things come off etc.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#543 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

thomas wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:06 pm Sweet looking Bantam, well done!
Thanks. :thumbleft:

As I said been basically cleaned up and rebuilt, but no actual mechanical stuff done, so I'm having to buy chains and clutch plates and wotnot. And it has lots of silly issues, just things not fitted right or bodged as though in a hurry.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#544 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Selected photos -

WiPac "GeniMag", thing at top is a magneto
-
Generator_2977.jpg
-

Example if things that are not very good – splitting h/bar grips:
-
Bantam_2983.jpg
-

Saggy primary chain:
-
Bantam_2991.jpg
-

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#545 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Ural 'C' spanner also works for Bantam exhaust nut:
-
Bantam_2987.jpg
-

Tank has lugs underneath for a tyre pump like a bicycle pump, I just happen to have one that was for R-series boxer BMW tookit, and it fits. How cool is that.
-
Bantam_2992.jpg
-

Rear light is a non-standard Lucas L525 pattern, but means I get a brake light ("standard" was probably a single 3W MES bulb, no brake light :shock: )
-
Lucas (pattern) L525 THIS.jpg
-

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#546 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Headlight is scrap -
-
Bantam_2997.jpg
-

Shiny new engine case screws (all the originals have incredibly chewed up heads)
-
Bantam_2998.jpg
-

All cables are bone dry. I now think this speedo cable was a new one, and never greased. Fortunately, the bike was never ridden either, since it was put on.
-
IMG_3004.jpg
-

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#547 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Smiths chronometric speedometer overhaul:
-
Bantam_3005.jpg
-

This is an extraordinary device, see video:
-

Now with shiny new bulb holder (missing), and shiny new long nuts (one missing, t'other rusty scrap). I alo had to unseize the odometer, again fortunate bike had no been ridden anywhere in the interim.
-
IMG_3011.JPG
-

... and shiny new dial face (eBay, old Smiths stock, never used, apparently), and warm white BA9S LED "bulb". The speedo is now the first part to be finished and ready to be bolted back on, as and when. Bit of a milestone moment so I'm going to open the wine in a minute.
-
Bantam_3014.jpg
-

Greg
Social outcast

#548 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Greg »

Nice work, Mike. Keep us up to date with progress. Really enjoying this thread!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#549 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Ta muchly. :)

New headlamp, testing different LED pilot bulbs -
-
Bantam_3001.jpg
-

Rear mudguard nearly finished – shiny new screws and nuts (came with somewhat tatty hex head bolts, just don't look right, I'm sure they were dome headed slotted screws – these are stainless button head Allen); also, shiny new number plate from Tippers in Cornwall (came today):
-
Bantam_3012.jpg
-

... and new wiring:
-
Bantam_3013.jpg
-

That's all for now

Baggy Trousers
User

#550 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Mike,

Can I suggest that you fit an LED as a headlight bulb as well. There's not a big choice of these things at 6VDC but your fitting seems to be a standard BPF so you might be lucky. I have converted my 6V light (Bosch pattern) in this manner and whilst the bean pattern is rubbish, the light output is infinitely better than the 35/35W standard incandescent bulb. Perhaps the biggest benefit is the reduction in consumption which is always a blessing at 6V, particularly with marginal systems like yours.
Last of the late brakers.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#551 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Whilst our-Mike is finishing off his project, I'm just about to start my next one. I reckon Greg will deffo recognise it, Baggy probably, others, maybe.

I've got my work cut out as it comes in kit-form this time.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#552 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

R-E 250 gt Continental ?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#553 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Kerrrrrrrrrrrr-ching!

Correct. Well done Popz.
Baggy Trousers
User

#554 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

A real Continental?

You could buy the bacon slicers as an add-on to jazz up the standard offering and many young people did. I suspect Hitchcocks still supply them.
Last of the late brakers.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#555 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Yup, a real un. Bacon slicers included, both located behind the fork legs in the 'bits' piccie. The chap that dismantled it passed away recently totally unexpectedly from a blod clot he knew nothing about. I miss him a lot, he helped me with advice during the rebuilds of the Indian and Redditch Bullets. I've bought all the bits of his GT250 and I'm going to attempt to put it all back together in the right order and blat it through the Kent countryside in his honour.