The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#151 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

102 mile round trip this afternoon to the Dengie peninsular.

First stop was Mangapps railway museum near Burnham-on-Crouch. A farmer built it his farm because he was a railway enthusiast.

http://www.mangapps.co.uk/

Then off to the Chapel of St Peter on the wall, somewhere I've been meaning to go for ages.

http://www.bradwellchapel.org/home.html

It was good to be out and about. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#152 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:12 pm 102 mile round trip this afternoon to the Dengie peninsular.
pre65 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:12 pm
It was good to be out and about. :D
Good to hear. The Bullet and me did a lovely 60 mile round trip today along the Pilgims way eastbound to Tatsfield then back on the A25 to Sundridge then up to Otford then Dirtfud.

Awethumne weather for it too. We could have an Audio Talk Motorcycle meet up one day.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#153 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Excellent, congrats. :thumbleft:

Had to look up Dengie peninsular, well well!

Had a quick ride around Satdee, on way to lunch at Trader Mill cafe. Then I'm off to Kenilworth for a couple of nights Tuesday.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#154 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:25 pm Excellent, congrats. :thumbleft:

Had to look up Dengie peninsular, well well!
Sometimes called the Dengie Hundred.

Edmund Burke

Michael L
Old Hand

#155 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Michael L »

Signed the 'missus' up for a glider flying course today. The club is up on the Long Mynd in Shropshire. Mrs L used to fly when she lived in Poland and clocked up quite a few hours there, sometimes flying in mountainous areas.
One of the instructors at the club - a keen biker said the two activities - gliding and biking go together well. I can imagine the thrills pulling some g's and the freedom in the air has some parallels with the experience on two wheels having ridden bikes. Anyone on here tried gliding?
Baggy Trousers
User

#156 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Michael L wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:40 pm Anyone on here tried gliding?
My father owned a Slingsby 3F and I flew it often enough to obtain a Silver C. Unquestionably, there is a certain magic attached to moving silently through the air and exercising the skills necessary to remaining aloft. Only very high performance sailplanes are stressed to more than +4/-2g and usually considerable height is lost in high-loading manoeuvres - such spectacular feats are not generally regarded as being part of the general soaring experience. I have to admit that I never felt really comfortable in the absence of the racket made by engine/engines and for this reason I feel powered flight rather than gliding is akin to motorbiking.

Gliding is well worth a try. Give it a go but be warned - flying is both addictive and expensive. :roll:
Last of the late brakers.
Michael L
Old Hand

#157 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Michael L »

The club has a couple of ex fast jet pilots as members. One flew Phantoms and the other Lightnings. It would be interesting to know how they view their flying experiences with the vastly different aircraft. My Wife tells me there is a great deal of skill and experience required to find the best lift.
It's quite an achievement to fly large distances cross country in an unpowered machine.

I am intrigued by Wave - something that the Long Mynd based club benefits from due to westerlies coming across the Welsh mountains.

Wave Lift
This is caused when the wind blows across a feature in the landscape such as a hill or mountain and, if the wind is of sufficient strength, then the airflow begins to oscillate up and down like a large wave. This sort of lift is glider heaven. Wave systems can provide lift up to 20,000 feet and is very smooth to fly in.

http://www.nwgc.org.uk/page52.html
ed
retired

#158 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by ed »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:21 am
Unquestionably, there is a certain magic attached to moving silently through the air and exercising the skills necessary to remaining aloft.
word!

spent many fun filled hours in a T21...

But...hang gliding rools!, or failing that a microlight....pic of similar to my last machine in the avatar. Mike Mike November Delta.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Baggy Trousers
User

#159 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

ed wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:31 am
Unquestionably, there is a certain magic attached to moving silently through the air and exercising the skills necessary to remaining aloft.
word!

But...hang gliding rools!, or failing that a microlight....pic of similar to my last machine in the avatar. Mike Mike November Delta.
Good heavens, ed - you have to be giving your age away with the old Sedburgh! They were an excellent workhorse, particularly with ab initio
students in the RAF. I've always thought it curious that the T21 was a civilian designation and it was called something else by the Air Force, whilst in the RAF, the T21 was the incomparable DHC1 Chipmunk.

Never been tempted by hang gliding - probably a bit athletic for me! I once was taken up in a microlight, can't remember much about it other than it had a Rotax engine. It was a great way to see the countryside. I can understand why these two forms of recreation have a strong following but I have never been seduced - a pity because I'm sure it would have been fun.

All of which has little to do with bikes so I had better mention that I was lent a Monster 900 for the weekend. Very enjoyable, particularly as the weather was so nice. I can't explain why but the newer Ducati engines do not seem to have the appeal of the old bevel drives. Nonsense, of course - but I still hanker after my old Darmah. I did like that bike although I found it a bit heavy. Certainly couldn't cope with it now but I found the Monster quite manageable, probably because of the lower seat height allowed by the 17" wheels.
Last of the late brakers.
Michael L
Old Hand

#160 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Michael L »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:13 am
ed wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:31 am

word!

Good heavens, ed - you have to be giving your age away with the old Sedburgh! They were an excellent workhorse, particularly with ab initio
students in the RAF. I've always thought it curious that the T21 was a civilian designation and it was called something else by the Air Force, whilst in the RAF, the T21 was the incomparable DHC1 Chipmunk.

Never been tempted by hang gliding - probably a bit athletic for me! I once was taken up in a microlight, can't remember much about it other than it had a Rotax engine. It was a great way to see the countryside. I can understand why these two forms of recreation have a strong following but I have never been seduced - a pity because I'm sure it would have been fun.

All of which has little to do with bikes so I had better mention that I was lent a Monster 900 for the weekend. Very enjoyable, particularly as the weather was so nice. I can't explain why but the newer Ducati engines do not seem to have the appeal of the old bevel drives. Nonsense, of course - but I still hanker after my old Darmah. I did like that bike although I found it a bit heavy. Certainly couldn't cope with it now but I found the Monster quite manageable, probably because of the lower seat height allowed by the 17" wheels.
The engines did look the business and sounded rather nice. I loved the sound of the Contis on my old '81 bevel 900ss. I think it was around 180Kg dry and seemed to sip petrol. Probably the lack of weight and desmo valve gear helped it as well as the headlamp fairing. If only I could buy one now without a new mortgage. They have become something of a collectors bike.
Did you ever attend the International V-Twin rallies at Shaftsbury?
I wish someone would lend me a Monster for a weekend!
SteveH
User

#161 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by SteveH »

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/down ... ew&id=5616
I'm playing around with Slimjet which has inbuilt optimised photo resizing and this is the first attempt.
Yesterday I turned 65 and am now a pensioner. I used to be a motorcyclist in my yoof and haven't owned a bike since the early 90's. Over the past couple of years an acquaintance has slowly reignited the itch and yesterday I scratched it. I'm in the process of buying this '86 CBX. I hope to have it between my legs late next week.
Attachments
784349500.jpg
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#162 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Doh, I thought a Honda CBX was a 6 cylinder 12ft wide (approx) behemoth and prepared to phwooooooarrr!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#163 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Looks like a CBX750F to me.

I nearly bought one myself many years ago.Hydraulic tappets from memory.

Just remember that bikes like that are much quicker than the British ones of the 60s.

Ride safe and enjoy yourself. :)

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

#164 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by shane »

:evil:
Dave the bass wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:15 am Doh, I thought a Honda CBX was a 6 cylinder 12ft wide (approx) behemoth and prepared to phwooooooarrr!
Yup. Me too. Insane device, but magnificent.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Neal
Shed dweller

#165 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Neal »

Pah! All this two wheel drive nonsense where’s the 4 wheel stuff?
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.