The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#76 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Was a nice day today (for a change!!) so I did this:

Before picture
Euro-Single-03.jpg

After picture
Euro-Single-10.jpg

However it never remotely occurred to me to even think about the height, and turns out it's about 1 inch higher than the Enduro seat. :o So I'm now looking at ways to possibly make it a bit lower.

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Baggy Trousers
User

#77 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Mike H wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:49 pm However it never remotely occurred to me to even think about the height, and turns out it's about 1 inch higher than the Enduro seat. :o So I'm now looking at ways to possibly make it a bit lower.
Is seat height important on an outfit?
Last of the late brakers.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#78 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

It means that now screen and handlebars are 'too low'. So is mainly an ergonomics thing. Even affects how the pedals feel, believe it or not.

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#79 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

thomas wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:31 am That's a wonderfully ratty bike, Dave, looks like it's spent some time in a pond!

I guess it never got nicked then?!
Errrrrr, Ta!?! Yeah, in all fairness those piccies of it were taken when it was at the end of its long and abused 62,000 mile life, shorlty before it was bought for £50 by a nutter at an old workplace as a field bike (where no doubt it just dissolved into a pile of rust and gaffa tape).

For about 4 years it was parked every night next to the River Thames in G'end, I wonder if that affected its 'cosmetics' at all. Or maybe it was the fact that it never ever ever had a wash in all the time I owned it perhaps. Whatever! It was a proper 'work hack'. 54 miles a day too back then, G'town to Brixton and back then later G'town to Holborn and back.

Attempted thefts, nope, none that I know of but some bad person did nick the spark plug cap off it during the night once when it was sleeping next to (not in) the River! I fitted one from my 2CV to get me to work that morning :)

Liking the Single Saddle conversion Mike, even more Wallace and Grommit points acquired! :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#80 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Exactly!

It has a fine looking rear-end, needs showing off more.

:D

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#81 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

:oops:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
shane
Social outcast

#82 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by shane »

Not being a biker I can’t contribute much to this thread but thought this might be of periferal interest. In our village there used to be a gentleman who built a fearsome 3 wheel hill climb special from pre war motor bike bits. His daughter is an accomplished artist and sculptor, who welded this together from old bike gearbox bits. It’s called “You Blew Me Away”, and it does, every time I see it.

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#83 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Wow that is really cool. :thumbleft:

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#84 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Image "I have a cunning plan my lord."

I have succesfully figured out a way to lower the seat at least 1/2 inch. The stock springs are probably supposed to be 4" but actually measure as 105mm or >4", so if I substitute 3.5" springs, be reduced nearly 3/4", before compression.

So you would think yeah but no but what's the prob the springs compress shirley? Thereby attaining a lower level when sat on, well 'cept the stock springs are so incredibly hard that even if I stand on it, they hardly compress. :shock:

It was rather the point, to have a somewhat softer seat by additional springing....

-

gninnam
Old Hand

#85 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by gninnam »

shane wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21 am Not being a biker I can’t contribute much to this thread but thought this might be of periferal interest. In our village there used to be a gentleman who built a fearsome 3 wheel hill climb special from pre war motor bike bits. His daughter is an accomplished artist and sculptor, who welded this together from old bike gearbox bits. It’s called “You Blew Me Away”, and it does, every time I see it.

Awesome image - thanks for sharing :)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#86 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:44 am
So you would think yeah but no but what's the prob the springs compress shirley? Thereby attaining a lower level when sat on, well 'cept the stock springs are so incredibly hard that even if I stand on it, they hardly compress. :shock:
It was rather the point, to have a somewhat softer seat by additional springing....
What do the springs look like Mike ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#87 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Repeat post ...
Last edited by IslandPink on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#88 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

shane wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21 am ..His daughter is an accomplished artist and sculptor, who welded this together from old bike gearbox bits.
That is really excellent !
shane
Social outcast

#89 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by shane »

I love it. For. Long time it stood in the road outside her house. The shape is just wonderful, but then I get a bit closer and can’t help trying to identify all the cogs and dogs and splines and bits that she used.

http://www.pennyhardysculpture.com/
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#90 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:09 pm What do the springs look like Mike ?
They look like a pile of Onion rings ya wally! You new to this engineering thing or summat? :lol:
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"