The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#721 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:17 pm To fit an endless chain normally means taking the swinging arm off, so a lot more involved.
Or use a chain breaker, I had to borrow one years ago when I tried to replace the chain and sprockets on my old W650 only to find the swingarm pivot bolt had corroded itself solid (aka. 'neglect') and I couldn't remove the swingarm at all.

I prefer the split link chains and both Bullets have them but I did use DIY rivet chains on the W650 when the spit link chains in that size and pitch started getting difficult to buy over the counter for the same reasons Baggy has found. The rivet you flatten to form the endless chain is softer than the hardened factory made jobbies thankfully.

I've just had to replace the chain and sprockets on my newish Chinese commuter bike, the original stretched at an alarming rate from new. I've replaced it with an 'O' ring spit link chain as they're easy to find in the itty bitty '428' chain range.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#722 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Dave the bass wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:20 pm
pre65 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:17 pm To fit an endless chain normally means taking the swinging arm off, so a lot more involved.
Or use a chain breaker,
Or an angle grinder. :lol:

Fitting a split link to an O ring chain can be a little tricky to compress the O rings enough to get the split link safely in place.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#723 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ha!

I sorta did that on Monday, I had to take the chain to the bench grinder to grind the head of one of the rivets down so I could drift it through and remove some links because I bought a chain that was 4 links too long. I'd over estimated the amount of extra links I'd need when increasing the gearbox sprocket by one tooth on the 125.

15T is now a 16T.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#724 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Choho chain is an old English brand ? :lol:

Edmund Burke

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#725 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:18 pm Choho chain is an old English brand ? :lol:
Chinese, like the rest of the bike.

Ugly, cheap, mostly plastic and slow but economical and Euro 4 compliant so I won't get fined going up to the smoke everyday into the expanded ULEZ zone that kicks in next October, I'd have to pay everyday if I kept on riding the Indian Bullet up. I bought it new and it'll have paid for itself in 6 months by not having to pay out to commute by train anymore.
Greg
Social outcast

#726 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Greg »

I would have thought, Baggo, considering the bike the chain is to be fitted to, a split link would be fine. Just buy a decent quality chain around the length you need, but slightly longer and split the chain and remove the unwanted links before fitting the split link. Simples!
Baggy Trousers
User

#727 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Greg wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:58 am I would have lioke the thought, Baggo, considering the bike the chain is to be fitted to, a split link would be fine. Just buy a decent quality chain around the length you need, but slightly longer and split the chain and remove the unwanted links before fitting the split link. Simples!
Sorry for slow response - I've been shielding. I think.

I am coming to like this bike very much, but whilst not wishing to suppose that Honda might have got their sums wrong, I felt that the machine was over-geared - the standatrd gearing is 15/36. Additionally, I thought that since I've little interest in achieving escape velocity, I might trade some speed for acceleration which would be more useful. So, having done some basic calculations and armed with a few tax dollars unexpectedly refunded by the Internal Revenue Service at the President's request, I bought some 525 X-ring chain and a few sprockets. Chain is DID and sprockets JT, so it's quality stuff. I discovered that the PO had fitted a 16T front end and this accounted for the unduly long legs. I replaced this with the proper 15T thingy and then fitted a 38T wheel at the back; things were better, so by now I had some idea of where I was going, but the chain was getting rather short.

I attacked the original and somewhat worn chain with a grinder. What a ridiculous performance! - is one expected to carry a cordless angle grinder as part of the tool kit? There is 40mm of potential adjustment available in the swinging arm, so with the new chain of 110 links (as opposed to the original's 106), I fitted a 40T sprocket but now felt that I'd overdone it a bit and 60mph cruising was feeling rather busy at 4400rpm. From the factory, the final drive ratio is 2,40:1 but the PO had reduced this to 2,25 which was too much for this engine.

The chain came with a solid link connection; I also ordered a springy job but your'e right Philip, it's not like the old days of just slipping the loose plate on - the combination of having to compress the seals and the interference of the GOLD plate requiring the use of the tool (and prising it off again) made things much more difficult. In fact, in order to assemble the link, I had to omit the seals from one side, otherwise it was not possible to get the spring located**. Incidentally, the spring link came with dire warnings of reduced strength and all manner of disasters (probably including Covid) if it was used. Of course the strength bit is rubbish as the open ends of the riveted type needed for expansion are weaker than the solid pins of the spring link. I suspect this is some CYA stunt by the manufacturers.

Anyway, with a revised FD ratio of 2,5:1, (16/40) I'm a happy camper with what I feel is an acceptable compromise. I could have employed a 15T front and 38T rear which provides substantially the same ratio but opted for the larger wheels as they allowed additional clearance of the swingarm on the chain top run. So in the end, I have done just as Greg suggested.

** When I'm sure that this is the final iteration, I'll attend to the link and assemble it properly. That way I shall avoid disaster and Covid and, possibly, the displeasure of the MOT tester - the one I use is likely to spot something like that. Which is why I use him. My thanks all who have contributed.

My shrink tells me that burdening others with boring and irrelevant tripe assists with my therapy. I'm feeling better now, thanks.
Last of the late brakers.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#728 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

:D Good post Baggy.

I've now done ~250 miles on the Plastic Lobster-mobile and I'm very happy with the 1T increase in the gearbox sprocket sizing. It 'cruises' at 50mph @ ~7000rpm now and feels less frantic in general.

With the reduction in engine speed and using Baggy's reckoning skills I too have no doubt avoided CroonerVirus AND doubled the MPG I'm getting on the commuter bike.

Whahey!
Baggy Trousers
User

#729 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

I was going to ask if it was safe to exceed 450V plate voltage on the 6550 but realised that I was in the wrong department, so I'll pose a question of some philosophical consequence concerning a motorcycle instead.

The machine pictured is 30 years old, only assembly oil in the engine, 1,9 (instrument test) miles and never had fuel in the tank. It is expected to sell at auction for around £16,000.

Questions: supposing you had the money, would you buy it and if you did, what would you do with it?
Attachments
Honda-GB500.jpg
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#730 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Hi Baggo.

In short, no. I don't think it's my kind of bike, but, to be honest, I've never ridden one.

I had a Matchless G80s (my first motorcycle) and much later an Ariel Red Hunter VH 500, and (from memory) they were nice to ride.

I suppose, in truth, I have a hankering for a Suzuki GS750, which was the first Jap bike I owned,the first big four stroke four from that marque, or deep down a Vincent Rapide/Shadow. 8)

But, motorbikes don't really do it for me anymore, for many reasons, and the BMW R1200r, nice as it is, is just an ornament these days, and the TriBSA scrambler is never likely to see the track again (at least in my hands) but that will be harder to let go.

I'd sooner be cruising around in an old Rover (P4 - 95/110 or P5b) these days.

Edmund Burke

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#731 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:21 pm
The machine pictured is 30 years old, only assembly oil in the engine, 1,9 (instrument test) miles and never had fuel in the tank. It is expected to sell at auction for around £16,000.

Questions: supposing you had the money, would you buy it and if you did, what would you do with it?
You don't need anyone's permission to buy it, so, if I had the money and I wanted that TT500 , yes, I'd buy it. I'd also ride it and ride it and ride it all the while I can. It's obviously a bike you like and it's caught your eye, I can understand why too FWIW.

My reasons are.....chances of another turning up in that condition are small, however, if you buy it and dont use it .... it becomes an 'investment' and you'll never know what it'd be like to truly ride/own/enjoy/hate the bike.

Buy it, use it. Then either live with and enjoy it or sell it with lowish miles on it and accept you'll probably end up getting less than you paid for it.
Baggy Trousers
User

#732 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

pre65 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:43 am I'd sooner be cruising around in an old Rover (P4 - 95/110 or P5b) these days.
In my view, the P4 was quite the nicest of British quality cars (although I liked the Alvis too). Had several from a Cyclops 75 to a 105S and loved them all. As an unconnected aside, I still have the letter from Peter Wilks, then Technical Director, thanking me for evaluating conditions leading to piston failures of numbers one and six cylinders which was costing Rover much in warranty claims at the time. And the "Auntie" sobriquet is totally undeserved.

Anyway, as I was saying . . . .

The point of posting the GB500 picture was by way of promoting some discussion; the current "value" of the machine lies in its virginal state. If it is fired up and ridden, that virginity is lost and the bike assumes a value consistent with whatever the market is doing; about a two-thirds loss at the moment.

Philip, unless you are on the tall/large size, I think you would like the bike. I bought mine to replace the unusually quick VH I had been "improving" for 12 tears, but had become too heavy for me. But I miss it terribly. The Honda is small, light, very slim and easy to push around. Even a long-stroke dinosaur like me gets used to the stratospheric crankshaft speeds. And the performance is superior to that of a standard DBD34 but without the bad manners. What's not to like? But I think it's because of the lack of weight that it does tend to get thrown around by the godawful road conditions we are expected to tolerate. Several times I've had to get off to inspect the back end, thinking the tyre's gone flat. Most disconcerting.

DTB, I agree, a bike is to be ridden - even something as priceless as Sammy Miller's Porcupine is exercised. I've no time for rivet counters and trailer queens and I wouldn't dream of owning this Honda; apart from anything else, the horror of throwing the thing up the road would be too inhibiting of riding style and cause sleepless nights. In any event, sad experience suggests that "motorcycles" and "investment" are mutually exclusive. But I think I'm fortunate to have the next best thing. With its revised gearing, I'm delighted with my XBR but not with the weather which has returned to its customary crappy state to prevent me from enjoying my toy.
Greg
Social outcast

#733 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Greg »

Well, I can instantly see the attraction. All those who always wanted a BSA Goldstar or a Manx Norton. A modern reliable low maintainance equivalent. What’s not to like?
Nick
Site Admin

#734 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

I am always a sucker for a cafe racer. Bars seen too high for the layout though. If I had indeterminate amounts of cash to spend on a bike a bevel 900ss would be my choice (though prices are now silly for them).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Neal
Shed dweller

#735 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Neal »

That bike reminds me of what goes on in the classic car world as well. It was designed to be used so should be IMHO, can't see the appeal of garage queen cars or bikes the main joy of them for me is to drive them! I don't see them as desirable if all they are is a shinny ornament. Buy it Baggy if you have the cash, you can't take it with you!
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.