The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#706 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Boston to Assington Suffolk, Moto Guzzi Club Essex Branch Meet.

21 minutes, time lapse, 8 minutes = 1 hour's recording.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#707 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

I should recognise some of that as Assington is down my way.

In fact, on my walk on Thursday I was but a mile or two away.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#708 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

I should have said, I went right past your place, saw the direction sign for Clare and thought about you. :)

Worth bearing in mind tho, the B1112 & B1106 seems an interesting alterntive to staying on the A134 and not difficult to follow.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#709 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Friday 24th
"A Potter Around The Lincolnshire Wolds" (also, Getting To The Wolds [second video])

Wolds (plural noun) a term used in England to describe a range of hills which consists of open country overlying a base of limestone or chalk.

From the description: I've lived in Boston (UK!) for 4 years now, and still not looked at the Lincolnshire Wolds area properly. So thought I should do something about it ...

Bit long, so you are allowed to skip the boring bits (but was edited down from 2 hours!)

20 minutes ...

-

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#710 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I'm going to launch one of these on Youtube with my tea, in a min. The Lincs Wolds are a really special area - not been there for years, to my shame.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#711 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

These vids are so good, Mike. The Wolds tour just reminds me SO much of the sort of trips I sometimes do around North Wales - including the mistakes. This is why I try to own a small car, these days - makes the travelling on the small lanes less stressful.
This is the sort of footage that shows what's great about Britain, to my mind. Note I said 'Britain', not 'England'. The historic texture of the lanes, the hedges, the trees, the reciprocal courtesy of the drivers.
The non-GPS navigation is what i want - the aim to try and go from one place to another by memory - but if you go wrong, there's always the map - plus the possibility of finding a new road, or a new viewpoint that you didn't know before.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#712 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Thanks for your interest! :D I've always tended to learn a route beforehand. Nowadays I use Google map (also iPhone map, which is pretty good must be said), and the Google street view is very useful for finding out what key junctions etc. look like, so invariably when I get to it in real life as it were, I know which way to go.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#713 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

And now for something slightly different – Bantam rebuild – pressing in new wheel bearings – the excitement never ends

:lol:

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#714 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Ural rideout –

Trip to F2 Motorcycles and Gorefield (nr Wisbech, Camb.s)

What's at Gorefield? The Woodman's Cottage ...

Return from The Woodman's Cottage

Baggy Trousers
User

#715 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

I have just ordered replacement sprockets and chain for my XBR Honda. I requested a spring-link connection but received a reply to the effect that they could not supply this as all chains intended for 400cc and above had to have riveted links. In 65 years of biking and having owned large (for those days) capacity machines like a Rapide and a Square Four, I have never once experienced a chain break or other type of chain failure.

Is there something I don't know or is this just more bullshit from the jobsworths? :x
Last of the late brakers.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#716 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Looked at Internet lots of topics where lots of people say which they prefer, no-one has a definitive answer. I think it's merely that some perceive spring link is "more dangerous" as in, it has to fall off doesn't it? Seems some people are really scared of this. Mind you so could DIY rivetted fall off if you balls'd that up.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#717 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Lots of spring links for sale on Internet, you could just get the chain and the link from somewhere else?

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#718 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

No experience of motorcycle chains but I've had a chain break on a bicycle - not a recommended experience :pale:
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#719 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

What sort of chain are you after Baggo ?

An O ring ( or X ring) chain would probably be a good choice.

I used 520 O ring chain on my KTM and TriBSA, and used a spring link on both.

I'm very sure you are aware which way round the spring link goes. :wink:

To fit an endless chain normally means taking the swinging arm off, so a lot more involved.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
thomas
Old Hand

#720 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by thomas »

pre65 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:17 pm What sort of chain are you after Baggo ?

An O ring ( or X ring) chain would probably be a good choice.

I used 520 O ring chain on my KTM and TriBSA, and used a spring link on both.

I'm very sure you are aware which way round the spring link goes. :wink:

To fit an endless chain normally means taking the swinging arm off, so a lot more involved.
Yes for some reason I fitted an endless chain to my Yam Divvy back in the day, right royal pain it was too (I'd just split the chain nowadays).... My old Brit bikes have spring links, any 'modern' bikes I've had haven't- I think they are considered more reliable and 'idiot proof' by manufacturers.... think they came in in the 1980's and are ubiquitous now?