The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#691 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

You don't say?? Ta muchly :lol:

I just went in the shop, opened gob, and said "I want four of them, plus saucers" :lol:

I also got a teapot and milk jug. And a tray.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#692 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:27 pm And a tray.
You'll need a tray.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#693 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Cressy Snr »

I’m Darth Vader, I can kill you with a single thought.

But you still need a tray Mr Vader.

I do not need a fucking tray!
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#694 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

:lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#695 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by jack »

I only recent found out that there's a part 2 to this:

Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#696 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

:lol:

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#697 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Mike H wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:09 pm
Ray P wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:11 pm Are you getting product placement fees from Portmerion?
I'm sure this is very clever but I'm afraid it eludes me .. Image
Here you go Mike...

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/pr ... cement.asp

Portmerion is a famous brand of chinaware; the cup and saucer you have is from their Botanic Garden range, which is collectable;

https://www.portmeirion.co.uk/

http://www.portmeirion.tv/motifs1.htm
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#698 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Go on? Image

I did have plans to go there this year, before the virus hit

And here it is again!

Doing Things With Hubs (part 1)

Bantam Rebuild Part 12

Baggy Trousers
User

#699 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Smart move to change the tyres, Mike.

I bought some new tyres for dear old Balthazar and since his level of performance is not much better than a Bantam, I thought £59 the pair from Wassells probably was enough. These covers were by a manufacturer of whom I had never heard but since he hailed from that very core of world tyre technology and production, Pakistan, what possibly could go wrong? Oh dear. Getting the rear tyre onto the rim almost bust the tyre chappie's machine and chipped a lot of paint and when I took it back some months later because of a puncture, he refused to look at it. Removed it myself with a hacksaw and angle grinder.

Subsequently suffered bad front wheel pattering. Only small static imbalance which I corrected but the real culprit was the tyre sourced from that same cutting edge of innovation. This had a manufacturing defect which reduced the the overall diameter over about an inch of the circumference by over a quarter of an inch. No wonder things shook. Cost £6 to bribe the local tip to relieve me of these dreadful things

Anyway, I have now spent a further £135 for a Skidmaster and SM Mk2 which is what I should have bought in the first place. Learning can be such a painful experience.

Now I'm told that this year's attempt at the record on The Island is cancelled - no ferries and no accommodation.
Last of the late brakers.
Baggy Trousers
User

#700 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Smart move to change the tyres, Mike.

I bought some new tyres for dear old Balthazar and since his level of performance is not much better than that of a Bantam, I thought £59 the pair from Wassells probably was enough. These covers were by a manufacturer of whom I had never heard but since he hailed from that very centre of world tyre technology and production, Pakistan, what possibly could go wrong? Oh dear. Getting the rear tyre onto the rim almost bust the tyre chappie's machine and chipped a lot of paint and when I took it back some months later because of a puncture, he refused to look at it. Removed it myself with a hacksaw and angle grinder.

Subsequently suffered bad front wheel pattering. Only small static imbalance which I corrected but the real culprit was the tyre sourced from that same cutting edge of innovation. This had a manufacturing defect which reduced the the overall diameter over about an inch of the circumference by over a quarter of an inch. No wonder things shook. Cost £6 to bribe the local tip to relieve me of these dreadful things

Anyway, I have now spent a further £135 for a Skidmaster and SM Mk2 which is what I should have bought in the first place. Learning can be such a painful experience.

Now I'm told that this year's attempt at the record on The Island is cancelled - no ferries and no accommodation. I'm not having a lot of luck. :cry:
Greg
Social outcast

#701 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Greg »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:57 pm Now I'm told that this year's attempt at the record on The Island is cancelled - no ferries and no accommodation.
Ah, the Isle of Man TT. The very best motorcycling holiday in the world.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#702 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Mike H wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:48 pm Bantam Rebuild Part 12
Good to see the Portmerion cup and saucer making its appearance Mike...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Baggy Trousers
User

#703 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Greg wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:11 pm
Baggy Trousers wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:57 pm Now I'm told that this year's attempt at the record on The Island is cancelled - no ferries and no accommodation.
Ah, the Isle of Man TT. The very best motorcycling holiday in the world.
There's no question that, at least for a biker, there is a special magic which is unique to the island. I first dreamt of riding there in 1948 when reading of Reg Armstrong's exploits; it was many years before I could realise my dream. There's nowhere like it.

However, there are other fine holidays to be had. One I have enjoyed on five occasions is the "Antiguas" rally held in September by the Moto Club Piston of Santander. Although it is supposed to be for old bikes, (and there are plenty of them - I have taken two) - nobody seems to care much when the plastic rockets turn up. A week in the Picos de Europa, usually in brilliant weather, is wonderful. But sadly, not the cheapest of holidays. I've done the Colombres Rally as well and this is very good too. For a quicker machine, these are wonderful opportunities to ride on properly maintained, almost deserted roads and in a manner which we took for granted 60 years ago when I was a Rocker.

Sic transit and all that . . . . .

Greg, you may remember that there was a short article about this in the VMCC magazine a year or two ago.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#704 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:57 pm Smart move to change the tyres, Mike.
Possibly – they're brand new, but by Cheng Shin, which I'm suspecting may be as much use as a chocolate teapot in the rain. On the Bantam forum Mitas has been mentioned as very favourable. Also they're the correct 2.75 inches width not 3 inches as are the Cheng Shin. They came off fairly easily tho, at least insofar as tyres can come off easily!

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#705 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Well nearly...

See also, Return From Rachel's Cafe (link at end)

See how many times the bumpy road sign appears!

Appendix (EDIT): Apologies for the wobbly camera view, a new mounting pole idea didn't work, abandoned it and went back to using the MagPro mount during the second video.