The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#646 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Putting the seat on!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#647 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Playing with panniers ...

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#648 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Part 5 which was held up ... assembling the brake plates

Part 10 – Removing wheel bearings

SimonC
Old Hand

#649 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by SimonC »

If you haven't already come across Alan Millyard's creations its well worth a look:

https://www.youtube.com/user/millyardviper/videos

Some of them are very subtle, his SS100 V twin and Z1 super-six look like they are factory production bikes. Others are not so subtle....
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#650 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Ah yes! He of the Viper :D

Moi:

Looking at stainless fork sliders ...

Early Bantam forks are not like later and more sophisticated 'normal' forks.

There's a spring at the top, a rod at the bottom, grease, and that's about your lot. No oil, no damping, nothing like that. :D
-

SimonC
Old Hand

#651 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by SimonC »

Mike H wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:49 pm There's a spring at the top, a rod at the bottom, grease, and that's about your lot. No oil, no damping, nothing like that. :D
Isn't that just the definition of a pogo stick :lol:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#652 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Pretty much! You have just described what it's like ridng a Bantam on a bumpy road. :D

If you try hard enough you can get your butt off the saddle as well.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#653 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Just a short one – there's only so much watching of rivet removing by angle-grinder that body and soul can withstand I'm guessing ... what you see here was repeated nine times!

Bantam D1 Rebuild, rear sprocket removal
-

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#654 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Crikey! What a hassle to replace chain and spockets.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Baggy Trousers
User

#655 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Quick change of subject . . . .

After ten years - I know, I know - I'm inclined to replace my venerable open-face Caberg with a new hat.

I should like to try a flip front model and am rather interested in either a Frank Thomas or a Givi version at about twenty quid more. The Givi boasts a "dual sun visor" but nowhere can I find what this is or how it works. Of course, there are other models but money is a consideration.

Anyway, I shall be very pleased to have comments on the flip front idea and particularly regarding forward vision; I'm having shoulder problems because of clip-ons and the brow of my present helmet being too low, so that I'm having to bend back my neck unduly.

Thanks.
Last of the late brakers.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#656 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

I might be able to help here Baggy, I've got a Givi flip up helmet, its this one...

It flips up by placing pressure on a hidden button under here...

....and does this...

The dual visor bit is clever, there's a little slider here on the side....

That lowers this ...

Which is really handy, its tinted and I like it in full on sunshine.

And of course you can have the 2 visors down too...

Or flip up the outer and Ta dah!

or outer up and inner down...

Downside? I'm told they're noisier than a regular full-face helmet, I haven't found that but then I'm not traveling at speeds that excessive wind noise (shurrup DTB!) becomes much of a problem on the Bullet(s) or the little 125 commuter.

I bought the 'Pin lock' version so its got a type of double glazing to stop fogging in the winter, its really really good actually. I'm back to commuterererering up to London everyday by motorbike and I've been very pleased with the helmet.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#657 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:51 am Crikey! What a hassle to replace chain and spockets.
Certainly is, popular opinion says BSA were notoriously tight so did they believe it was cheaper than nuts and bolts? Which are what are going back on! So a doddle for next time.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#658 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:45 pm Anyway, I shall be very pleased to have comments on the flip front idea and particularly regarding forward vision; I'm having shoulder problems because of clip-ons and the brow of my present helmet being too low, so that I'm having to bend back my neck unduly.

Thanks.
Get rid of the clip-ons? :D

Couple of years ago I got a Nolan N104 flip-front, honestly I can't imagine how I could cope without it now, it's so handy just to flip up to talk to someone, no need to remove it where signed "remove motocycle helmets", I can get it on and off without having to take my glasses off which I had to for every full-face I've owned.

The Nolan also has an inner dark visor, flips down by moving a slider, not been used very much but is a case of when you need it you need it, example low winter sun or blinded by reflection off car rear window etc. In the past I used clip-on sunglasses.

Baggy Trousers
User

#659 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Mike H wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:25 pm
Baggy Trousers wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:45 pm Anyway, I shall be very pleased to have comments on the flip front idea and particularly regarding forward vision; I'm having shoulder problems because of clip-ons and the brow of my present helmet being too low, so that I'm having to bend back my neck unduly.

Thanks.
Get rid of the clip-ons? :D
Ape hangers perhaps? Not such a silly idea, Mike, but there is a problem with this. When I bought the bike, it was fitted with those expensive German risers and an alloy bar which was wide enough for a Hardly Abelson with 3-furrow plough. The combination of this and the rear sets (which are non-adjustable) made any sort of spirited riding pretty well impossible. So I acquired a pair of original XBR clip-ons from eBay and now things make a lot more sense but, of course, other problems have arisen. The riding position is fine - it's just the neck bend which is irritating. I'm hoping a new hat will take care of this, although the Nolan may prove too pricey. I've only worn a helmet since their use became mandatory, so am not over-concerned about the safety aspect of things - it's on my head to keep Plod off my back, so no point in spending more than is necessary.

DTB - thanks for going to all this trouble. This explains things well - so far, most of the illustrations I've seen look like a section of the Sidney opera house. And I like the idea of not having to take it off at petrol stations and so on. Wind noise is unlikely to bother me either; too deaf to notice!

I think that if we ever emerge from all this virus crap, I shall ride down to Bridport for a visit to Helmet City and try on a Givi.

Many thanks to you both.
Last of the late brakers.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#660 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:15 pm I think that if we ever emerge from all this virus crap, I shall ride down to Bridport for a visit to Helmet City and try on a Givi.
and enjoy fish and chips on the sea front...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!