The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#586 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

^^^ agreed. I've had success using that method too.

Top blogging on the rebuild too Mike, keep it up.

I'm still amassing more lumps of rusty metal that one day I hope will be a Continental GT 250.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#587 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

This thread is a feast for the eyes ! :)
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#588 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by jack »

Not a motor bike but son and I are looking for a decent LR series III or a Defender 110 to rebuild over the next few months...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#589 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

jack wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:26 pm Not a motor bike but son and I are looking for a decent LR series III or a Defender 110 to rebuild over the next few months...
Start a new thread if you please.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#590 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:40 pm
jack wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:26 pm Not a motor bike but son and I are looking for a decent LR series III or a Defender 110 to rebuild over the next few months...
Start a new thread if you please.
Yep - not hijacking this one :)
ed
retired

#591 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by ed »

way to go!

I've had 3 series 3 in my life and I can safely say that fiddling with a series 3 is better than sex. Oh yeah!

If you do get a series 3 instead of a defender then I can recommend a 5 bearing engine and a fairey OD. A defender will get you up to the legal limit though, which a series 3 may not.

edit: It just occurred to me there is an analogy to hifi here...

if you prefer fiddling with amplifiers and arguing about the merits thereof instead of listening to music then LR series 3 is deffo for you, cos you'll spend more time underneath it fiddling than you will driving it.....snigger
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Baggy Trousers
User

#592 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Greg wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:04 pm
Mike H wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:13 pm trying to "train" the new gaiters to go over the seal holders. I'm not optimistic TBH.
They’ll fit with a bit of brute force and a large dose of washing up liquid.
I have used this method on a couple of bikes but in each case, after about three months, the gaiters split due to the elastic limit having been exceeded. Of course, much depends upon the quality of the material but these days, one never quite knows what one is getting. And washing up liquid is corrosive; I would use red rubber grease.
Last of the late brakers.
Neal
Shed dweller

#593 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Neal »

Finding the same in the classic car world. Pattern parts aren’t as good as the originals, especially plastic or rubber parts. Suspension bushes for example crack and split after 12 months. It’s a mine field.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#594 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Neal wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:06 am Finding the same in the classic car world. Pattern parts aren’t as good as the originals, especially plastic or rubber parts. Suspension bushes for example crack and split after 12 months. It’s a mine field.
Poly bush kits seem to be the in thing at the moment.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#595 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Greg wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:04 pm
Mike H wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:13 pm trying to "train" the new gaiters to go over the seal holders. I'm not optimistic TBH.
They’ll fit with a bit of brute force and a large dose of washing up liquid.
Popular concensus says they tend to split tho. Not very good quality. I might end up actually cutting them then making good with thin nitrile sheet and cable ties!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#596 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:05 pm Have you tried soaking the gaiters in hot water ?
Yes did that, and that is the usual advice. However they cool down quickly while you're trying to stretch them, so not terribly helpful really, and didn't make much difference.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#597 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:16 pm I have used this method on a couple of bikes but in each case, after about three months, the gaiters split due to the elastic limit having been exceeded. Of course, much depends upon the quality of the material but these days, one never quite knows what one is getting.
Image this

This is what has happened to several people in the Bantam club.

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#598 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by jack »

I've always used silicone grease for this - should I be using red rubber grease?
Thinking... I've also used PTFE grease for this too...
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#599 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Silicone would be kinder yes.

Well things have escalated apace. We are now at "DEFCON2"

What's the most serious thing you can have wrong with your motorbike? Apart from an engine blow-up.

Someone else had to point out that in one of my photos on the Bantam forum, the top tube looks slightly bent. I couldn't see it and put it down to camera distortion (iPhone). He wasn't sure either (ditto). Anyway when sitting drinking my first morning coffee yesterday and looking at it, and thinking what could I be doing next, I could see the bend. Put a steel rule along it, yep. It's had a front-end shunt and bent the frame. Also there's weird stuff going on at the back end, such that the wheel won't slide in easily, but needs "persuasion", like the rear frame is too narrow. Fits better if I leave a nut out, but that's not right. Then, after taking the plungers out, the top and bottom clamps are different distances apart by 1/4 inch, also the bottom left one is bent in like it's had a big whack. So seems like it came down hard on the left side as well, in the crash, whatever that was. But perversely, it's the bottom two that have the widest gap, so it's all screwy. None of this can be really be seen until you strip the frame completely. It's basically fooked.

Good news is, I've found another one, same colour even, and all the tubes appear to be straight in the photos. (Get blow up photos on the screen then use a folded piece of paper as a straight edge to compare against. This is what the other guy did with my photo, or similar.) Not expensive either and clean looking.

Just prior to finding that, another one I found for sale, black plus forks and plungers still attached, very dirty and scabby and rusty. Did the blow up and folded paper thing on the photos, yep, bent top tube. Not as much as mine tho. And he wants £400 for it and £100 to deliver. Non. Nein. Niet.

So green frame on order.

PS: apparently it is, or was, a "thing" to deliberately bend the top and front down tubes of a Bantam frame to change the head angle slightly (make it steeper) for trials bikes. :shock: Pretty sure this isn't the reason here tho.

Press on regardless!

Nick
Site Admin

#600 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Did my social isolation today by taking the bike out for the first time this year for a few hours. Originally went towards North Yorks, but decided that the motorway was boring, so turned around and went through Hebden then up through Blackshaw Head across the top to Burnley and back via Todmordon. Nice little jaunt and nothing went wrong. So a win.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.