The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#391 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Mine:

Gratuitous Ural video (14 minutes)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#392 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:47 am That's a proper amount of timing gears. Is it magneto ignition?
In 1959 on the same model it would have been Mike, but this is a December 1960 variant so they'd embraced CB and coil ignition (with mechanical advance and retard for the advance curve).

Inside the CB housing lives this..

^^^Olde worlde CB points. The condenser (a capacitor to 'us'!) lives next to the Ignition coil at the moment as the correct type that live inside the CB housing are almost unobtainable and current replacements wont fit easily inside the CB housing on a Lucas 15D1 'distributor' it seems.
Mike H wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:53 am What is all the dross at the bottom of the timing cover?
This lot.

Yep, as Greg says, a felt/mesh Oil filter in the bottom of that bit that sticks out, above that is a worm driven (not made from ACTUAL live worms) double ended oil pump. The rear section supplies oil to the big end, the front section houses a return/scavenge pump that sucks up the thrown oil from the big end that ends up in the sump and then gets pumped up to the rockers via that pipe work up the outside of the engine. From there it drains down the pushrod tunnels and get recirculated again,unless (of course, what with it being a model equipped with a oil pressure bypass valve built into the front crankcase) the oil pressure valve is actuated when the oil by passes the rockers and returns straight back to the oil tank which sits between the gearbox and the crankcase.

Oil pump spindle and scavenge pump body and plunger.

...and in-situ minus oil pump spindle.

Lots going on in that area of the engine.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Greg
Social outcast

#393 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Greg »

Good pictorial/tutorial, our Dave.

My recollection is that Royal Enfield were fairly innovative in the day by running a dry sump system without an external oil tank but with a pressured oil feed to the big end white metal plain bearing. The oil tank was incorporated within the crankcase, therefore all oil ancillaries like filters also needed including. Within three years of the design Dave’s bike has, the Bullet changed the crank case completely to sink the filter more aesthetically inside with only a maintenance cover cap visible. The whole crank case became far sleeker (some would say boring) in appearance. The pressured oil feed to the big end and valve gear was problematic after a period of use owing to oil leak and drop in oil pressure. Back in my day, I had an engineering friend, Mike Quarry who produced small conversion kits that ensured the big end oil feed remained constant pressure sealed and reliable. He developed this tweak on his own Meteor Minor and then made it available to other club members. This was particularly important with the later Bullet and the likes of my Crusader Sports and Continental GT, because Enfield casted and drilled an oil feed channel from the internal pump out through a section of the timing gear cover and then back into feed the oilway through the center of the crankshaft. Of course, to convey oil into the constantly rotating crank shaft, the oil feed nipple at the end of the shaft had to sit within a static rubber seal set in the timing gear cover. Mike used more up to date seals to ensure better reliability. The whole thing was a bit Heath Robinson but it worked properly........eventually.

I’ve referred to other tweaks, such as to the electrics previously. I get the impression that Dave is wanting to retain as much originality as possible in his build so tweaks in this case might be a rude word. I always took the view that for the purposes of ‘Concours de Elegance’ anything unoriginal that could not be seen was always fair game, especially if you wanted to ride and keep riding.

PS. I won one (CdeE) once :D
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#394 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Greg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:49 pm
What about your bike ? :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#395 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:09 pm
Greg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:49 pm
What about your bike ? :lol:
Arf! Thats a good 'un Popz.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#396 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Dave the bass wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:14 pm Inside the CB housing lives this..
I must say, you've lost me with all this stuff about the Captain Beefheart housing.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Baggy Trousers
User

#397 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Mike H wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:53 am
Dave the bass wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 am Static timing sorted...
OK, apparently not - but usually a convoluted drive train was needed to run a magneto, because it was a self contained unit.
Sort of correct. A magneto is indeed a self-contained source of sparks but probably more were driven by chain than turned by gears. The Bullet engine originally was of magneto ignition and like BSA, Panther, Ariel and a host of others, employed the excellent Lucas magdyno. The beancounters of the industry decided this arrangement was too expensive and so adopted coil ignition and this is why the original magneto drive has morphed into the quasi-distributor arrangement seen in the photos.

At one time, all Enfields - including lawnmowers! - employed gear trains but the later production twins changed to chains to save expense. Presumably, since the single was going to India, the bosses at Redditch thought the expense of changing the Bullet to chain drive was not warranted. Lovely to see such an example of proper engineering. BSA and Velo singles are likewise.
Last of the late brakers.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#398 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

All very interesting. I was just thinking, that oil filter encrustation sorta looks like a bodge, as in "That's it engine design all finished oh cr4p! We've forgotten about the oil filter"

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Greg
Social outcast

#399 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Greg »

Mike H wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:22 pm All very interesting. I was just thinking, that oil filter encrustation sorta looks like a bodge, as in "That's it engine design all finished oh cr4p! We've forgotten about the oil filter"
Well, it was the early days of incorporating the oil tank into the crank case and running a dry sump with a pressurised oil feed to the big end. As I said previously, later crank case designs incorporated the oil filter completely internally with just a maintenance cap for access.
Nick
Site Admin

#400 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

And then there was this:

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#401 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Have you got one of those yet Nick ? :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#402 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Toppsy »

Very nice Nick. Good to see that at long last you have got the fully restored bike back on the road. Been out on it yet. If so does it bring back fond memories of when you road this in its hey day?
Give me a call if you fancy a ride out together.
Nick
Site Admin

#403 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:48 am Have you got one of those yet Nick ? :)
I have owned that one for 35 years, its just a large number of those years it was in a pile of bits.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#404 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Toppsy wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:23 am Very nice Nick. Good to see that at long last you have got the fully restored bike back on the road. Been out on it yet. If so does it bring back fond memories of when you road this in its hey day?
Give me a call if you fancy a ride out together.
Not yet, it only arrived this morning.
steve s
Shed dweller

#405 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

That looks really good Nick
Nice job...

In the late 90s I restored a very ratty us import z650 for my eldest. it took some doing .. everything was knackered... I made him buy it with his student grant . Otherwise he would have blown the money.
It ran perfectly for 3 years then he sold it for more than the cost of the resto... good result in my books..
And a good lesson for him about investments !
Last edited by steve s on Fri May 03, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number