The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#301 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

But non the less the actual picture of the actual crack pin nut shows its been hit with a edged tool in what looks like the direction of tighting the nut up (assuming a normal thread direction).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
thomas
Old Hand

#302 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by thomas »

The swarf and burring on that flat head screw looks like it was created by tightening too. Are there any markings on the piston crown that might suggest it's 'had work', DTB?
ed
retired

#303 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by ed »

I suspect Baggo would be horrified by the mecanical/workshop practises used by most farmers.......

as in use whats available....Most of the mechanical parts under the bonnet of my first land rover were held on by bailing twine...and if memory serves one of the manuals with a lwb I owned contained reference to running mud in the sump for so many miles if caught in the bush with a leak.

something about the mother of invention....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#304 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

thomas wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:29 pm Are there any markings on the piston crown that might suggest it's 'had work', DTB?
Not 'arf! I put them there! (on the piston crown) ....whilst working on freeing the seized/rusted piston from the barrel. There's lots of evidence its been worked on by highly skilled operatives other than me.

Erks! These were the timing cover screws....

Broken fin...

'Homemade' banjo union oil feed,the proper one is the bottom item in the piccie...

Hmmm, nice electrical work....

More cold chisel work around the swingarm nut(s)...

This alternator rotor nut must've been a 2 chisel job...

Aaah, more electrical excellence here too...

One of the sump plug/bolt was so rounded-off by a previous owner you can actually see where they'd filed 'flats' (and gouged the crankcase too) onto the nut to get a purchase in an effort to loosen the plug, but the thing that really 'stuns' me is that after doing that.... they refitted the same knackered sump bolt, genius!

Oh.... did I mention the electrical fire its been subjected to at some time also?

Yup, I reckon it's 'had work' previously MrT :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
thomas
Old Hand

#305 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by thomas »

Ooooph!

Yep, not the sort of work I'd have hoped for!

Actually I was wondering if the piston had +.02 or somesuch on its crown.....

Edit: I've just seen you've err flattened it!
Baggy Trousers
User

#306 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

ed wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:28 am I suspect Baggo would be horrified by the mecanical/workshop practises used by most farmers.......

as in use whats available....Most of the mechanical parts under the bonnet of my first land rover were held on by bailing twine...and if memory serves one of the manuals with a lwb I owned contained reference to running mud in the sump for so many miles if caught in the bush with a leak.

something about the mother of invention....
Or needs must when the devil drives. Years ago in Australia, I ran a big end miles from anywhere - there are lots of places like that in Australia!. This was in a 1947 Chevvy Strylemaster. The sump was carefully lowered to preserve the oil, the offending big end cap was removed together with the shells and a couple of inches of my leather belt was wrapped around the journal. Big end reassembled, sump put back, spark plug removed and did 85 miles slowly and with adequate oil pressure to get repaired. So I haven't spent all my life in temperature-controlled toolrooms!

If I could remember how to do these things, I could post a photo I took of a Model T sporting barbed wire HT leads. Wasn't sure if this was a product of desperation or a terrible warning.
Last of the late brakers.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#307 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:44 pm Erks! These were the timing cover screws....
I like the one at the right end. :D

-
Aaah, more electrical excellence here too...
Yep. Twist together and a prayer. Deserves an award for bodging. :lol:

One of the sump plug/bolt was so rounded-off by a previous owner you can actually see where they'd filed 'flats' (and gouged the crankcase too) onto the nut to get a purchase in an effort to loosen the plug, but the thing that really 'stuns' me is that after doing that.... they refitted the same knackered sump bolt, genius!
Maybe it was Sunday and he needed it for work Monday mornin'? Been there! :D

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Neal
Shed dweller

#308 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Neal »

Well not a bike and 4 wheels not 2. Had an ‘interesting’ break down in my old fiat x19, car stopped and cut out pulling up to a junction in a 30mph zone after a bit of spirited driving down some local A roads. Car was running perfectly well and ran ok in the 30mph zone until I went from 4th to third approaching the junction, where it cut out. The car would not restart, nothing other than a bit of a cough now and then, turns over fine bit would not start, had to be towed home. So the questions:

Carburettor problem?
Ignition problem?
Cam timing prob?
Something else?
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#309 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Answer. Its a Fiat innit :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

#310 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

There are slightly less bodgy ways of joining two wires

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#311 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Dave the bass wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:15 am Answer. Its a Fiat innit :)
:lol:

As a guess I'd say ignition.

Take out a spark plug and see if it sparks when turned over, if not then check the points open (if you have points that is)

To check fuel loosen fuel pipe at carb end and see if fuel runs out when engine turned over.

If still no joy call in a mechanic. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

#312 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Neal »

Fix It Again Tony. There where two,issues a stuck float in the carb and more worryingly the cam bet had jumped a couple of teeth :shock: :shock: :shock: given its an interference engine I’m lucky the pistons didn’t mash the valves!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#313 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

That's quite serious as it shouldn't happen, for obvious reasons. Needs a good dose of looking at. Something had to cause it. :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
shane
Social outcast

#314 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by shane »

Does the water pump run off the back of the cam belt? If so, that might need checking.
A bit like the old 70s Lancia Gamma where the power steering pump ran off the cam belt. Cold day on full lock = jumped teeth = wrecked engine. Not good.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Neal
Shed dweller

#315 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Neal »

Water pump is driven from the fan belt. I suspect the issue was the cam belt tensioner, the car has had previous head work (not by me) and the belt was reused and not tensioned correctly. Anyhow I have a new belt and tensioner to fit and I’ve rebuilt the carb. So hopefully it won’t happen again!