Malware cleaner.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#46 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by Nick »

Lee S wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:24 pm Don't think there is a day goes by without my Linux install needing updates... seems a lot more frequent than the Windows 10 OS I run on the other laptop.
There is possibly another slight problem with equating Linux and Windows updates, in general the Linux updates covers just about all the programs on the system, the Windows ones just the OS ones and Microsoft programs.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#47 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by Mike H »

Mine isn't problems, it's "tuning". :D

The programs I was talking about intentionally run in background, 'cause the designers decided they are going to work that way. So it's not a fault. And there are / were 14 of them. Image

It's no good saying well uninstall them then, to stop "the problem", cos I want them! :D

A couple were bought & paid for.

The Avast tool just "puts them to sleep" so the OS isn't doing that stuff as well as what I actually want it to do at this moment in time.

The difference is not much BTW, but it does make start-up quicker.

HTH

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#48 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by simon »

Y'know, this and the Spectre/Meltdown thread are interesting. A number of the contributors are IT professionals (apologies if I'm wrong) and there's some (mild) disagreement/discussion about the whys and wherefores of OSes, kernels, best methods of updating etc. etc. I've used Linux and Pis, and I knew my way round C in the day, so I can just about understand some of the things talked about. But the average person on the Clapham omnibus? Not a chance. Neither do they care.

So what do they do? Path of least resistance - they don't care about the real techy stuff.

And sure enough, day by day, we are all becoming more reliant on computers. Who goes in to town to go to the bank today? A lot less than 20 or even 10 years ago I'd guess.

In the future I expect we'll be almost completely reliant on computers, and their weaknesses, in ways most probably can't even imagine now.
Nick
Site Admin

#49 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by Nick »

Well, just to be clear, i wasn't disagreeing in particular with what Jack was saying, I was just of the view that some of the comments were open to misunderstanding. I do think that Intel's handling of Meltdown has generally been driven by the marketing department rather than the technical one. This is one of the reasons I am rather keen to prevent the two named issues from merging into one in this little bit of the public eye.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#50 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:37 pm edit: briefly again, imo....simple questions relating to IT issues are often responded to by techies who start scoring points with smart-arsed answers full of acronyms and quickly OT........I noticed this a lot on the embedded chip forums.....noobies got no chance.
That's a bit unfair. The original issue was addressed with plain & sensible advice. I'm not at all sure anyone here is attempting to "score points" - there's a discussion, sure, but no flame wars like you might see elsewhere. Not that OT either - we moved from the original topic to how systems automatically update drivers and fix bugs.

The bottom line is that IT, professionally, is light years away from domestic stuff and yes, like all professions it has a fair bit of jargon & acronyms. Some of the issues we've been discussing, like the Intel AMT issue or the processor vulnerabilities known as Meltdown & Spectre. are intensely complex - so much so that most IT professionals, unless they are low-level hardware types (not just infrastructure bods but electronic engineers) won't understand them fully either.

If someone wants to have a point clarified, then say so - I was always taught that the real test of your understanding was if you could explain an arbitrarily complex point to a complete novice. However, that wasn't the discussion we were having - if you want a higher-level explanation, just say so. No egos here.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#51 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by pre65 »

First BSOD since changing the memory .

Now seems Hpmoa407.sys is the culprit.

I have an HP printer (photosmart 5524) but all the drivers seem up to date. :?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#52 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by pre65 »

Just got another BSOD.

This is "kernel autoboost invalid lock release"

(nt+0x1756E0)

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#53 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by Nick »

Have you run memory checking software?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#54 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:48 pm Have you run memory checking software?
Yes, I use the Windows built in memory checking software and it finds no problems.

Last checked 5 mins ago.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#55 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by pre65 »

Another BSOD.

System service exception.

hardware.sys

Edmund Burke

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#56 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Take outside
Apply big hammer
Bag up bits
Take to tip.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
ed
retired

#57 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by ed »

and for goodness sake, keep smiling
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#58 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by pre65 »

ed wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:56 pm and for goodness sake, keep smiling
Oh yes. :D

This laptop is very handy, but I have at least two backup W10 PCs if necessary.

At worst I'll get a new hard drive and reinstall W10.

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#59 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by jack »

It's beginning to sound like a solid hardware problem, possibly the motherboard. Not an uncommon problem with laptops.

One thought. Does it crash quickly after power on or after a while?
Note I'm talking about POWER ON, not after booting into windows, i.e. does it crash when physically cold or do you have to wait a while?

Might be thermal. Have you opened it and checked the fans are running ok and aren't blocked?

Not a happy bunny.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#60 Re: Malware cleaner.

Post by pre65 »

I can hear both fans running slowly, does not seem to get hot but I'll check for dust this afternoon.

Normally goes wrong after several hours (days even), and only once has it done so twice in one day.

Edmund Burke