Where I Work

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1 Where I Work

Post by Ray P »

Here's a link to a short video about the work I do that I thought might be of interest to some. It was filmed in my office when I was off work following my bike crash so I don't feature but the chap looking at windfarms and the one in the last shot are both colleagues. To put it in context, something like 90% of the world's vessels greater than 500grt use our charts - 'Made in Somerset'!

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#2 Re: Where I Work

Post by Ray P »

Sorry to be a bit of a bore but where I work has been in the media a bit lately, this week we were featured in the BBC's 'Antique Road Trip'.

There is some really interesting historical stuff relating to items we hold in our archive (which is a public records office) including a chart produced by James Cook and a chart of Portsmouth harbour from 1620 (when the Pilgrim Fathers were sailing to the new World).

The modern bits features some of my colleagues in the Remote Sensing area.

Here's the relevant excerpt from the Road Trip programme.

Ray
antonio66
User

#3 Re: Where I Work

Post by antonio66 »

Sorry to thread drift but coming from Lincolnshire, I was always taught the Mayflower sailed from Boston, so today I have just googled it and this seemed to be the best answer. http://www.bostonguildhall.co.uk/index. ... cleid=5458
There are so many references to the Mayflower in Boston although it is many years since I last went through there.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Where I Work

Post by pre65 »

So, it was Portsmouth then.

Quite a few UK towns have associations with the Pilgrim Fathers, Billericay in Essex being one.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#5 Re: Where I Work

Post by shane »

pre65 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:19 pm So, it was Portsmouth then.

It said Plymouth when I read it!

We do have the Mayflower steps here to commemorate the event, although apparently after leaving here they put in to Newlyn to take on extra water for the voyage, so theoretically that would be the last point of departure.

Three hundred and fifty years later they did me a huge favour. To celebrate the anniversary in 1970 Plymouth held a huge jamboree on the Hoe which my parents were happy to let me attend as it looked like jolly wholesome fun. The fact that I ended up down at the Vandike Club watching Free from a distance of about six feet from Paul Rogers’ feet and experiencing one of the major turning points of my life was never revealed to them.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ray P

#6 Re: Where I Work

Post by Ray P »

I think there's a clue in the name of the place where they landed on the other side of the pond - Plymouth.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Where I Work

Post by Mike H »

Only 4 from Billericay, on the Mayflower, if memory serves. The rest from Lincs & Nottinghamshire areas, history here:

https://www.lincolnshire.org/lincolnshi ... m-fathers/

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."