Solder

Subjects that don't have their own home
shane
Social outcast

#1 Solder

Post by shane »

The 5kg reel of Ersin Muticore that found its way into my lunch bag the day I left Toshiba in 1987 has finally run out. Should I replace it with the same or has the art moved on in the last 30 years?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#2 Re: Solder

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Imho Ersin multicore is a thing of the past. I lived the smell! R.S. smelled good too. Nowadays there's cheap lead free stuff like Maplin or stupid money silver solder I'm still using a massive roll of solder (much diminished) that I found on a car boot sale.

Perhaps there is a happy ending to this story....
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#3 Re: Solder

Post by Nick »

You can still buy Multicore solder Lead or Lead free

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/ ... lsrc=aw.ds
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

#4 Re: Solder

Post by andrew Ivimey »

knew there'd be a happy resolution!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: Solder

Post by Nick »

There is nothing in any rules stopping you from using Leaded solder if you like. What you can't do with some exceptions is make something for sale with leaded solder.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

#6 Re: Solder

Post by andrew Ivimey »

P.C.gone mad!

You'll be telling me were leaving the EU next and war with North Korea is very likely. Ha!

Fiddlesticks....
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: Solder

Post by Nick »

were leaving the EU next
Well, AFAIK, we were leaving, and I think we still are, not sure if you have more information.

Actually, you can make something for sale with leaded solder, I was wrong to say that, what you can't so is actually sell it.
ed
retired

#8 Re: Solder

Post by ed »

Apologies for going a bit OT Shane.....

About 5 years ago I ran out of large bobbin of Draper multicore, and started using Maplin lead free....

Since then I've been going through a large number of antek 1mm bits in my 18watt iron....The lead free stuff seems to oxidise the tips too readily and I've resorted to Maplin tip cleaner to try and keep the tips usable....the flux in the tip cleaner seems to eat the tips even more readily.....Only way I've found to get round this is too replace the tips....

The tips on the large 30 watt iron dont seems to suffer this at all.....

anybody got any serious suggestions?
Well, AFAIK, we were leaving, and I think we still are, not sure if you have more information.
well the news at lunchtime seemed to indicate that our man in Brussels is still beavering away to that intent,,, but it seems ever more likely that it's going to end in tears...they're in a good position to gang up on him.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9 Re: Solder

Post by jack »

I'm becoming Portuguese.

Oh, and if you use lead-free (RoHS) solder, it's a bitch. Higher melting point (5 to 20C more) so many conventional irons don't reflow it properly and even then, it's difficult to know if a joint is good by visual inspection as they're all "dull"...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#10 Re: Solder

Post by mainscablesrus »

jack wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:22 pm I'm becoming Portuguese.

Oh, and if you use lead-free (RoHS) solder, it's a bitch. Higher melting point (5 to 20C more) so many conventional irons don't reflow it properly and even then, it's difficult to know if a joint is good by visual inspection as they're all "dull"...
Audio Note solder is the best.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Nick
Site Admin

#11 Re: Solder

Post by Nick »

Why?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Solder

Post by pre65 »

Has David ever used Solder ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#13 Re: Solder

Post by mainscablesrus »

Nick wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:46 pmWhy?
Cos it is.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#14 Re: Solder

Post by mainscablesrus »

pre65 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:49 pm Has David ever used Solder ?
WBT, Oyaide, Rapid, Furutech, Audio Note.

I use the one Nick recommended for everyday use from Rapid.

For high end stuff I use Audio Note.

I solder more than probably all you lot together as I make 100's of cables up every week to sell.
andrew Ivimey

#15 Re: Solder

Post by andrew Ivimey »

A Labour of love?