Phono bake-off

Subjects that don't have their own home
Max N
Old Hand

#1 Phono bake-off

Post by Max N »

OK, people are suggesting a new thread for the phono bake-off but no-one has created it, so here we go.
Summarising the discussion from the Owston thread (feel free to correct me if I've got this wrong), the idea is a phono stage comparison, somewhere easier to get to for us southerners, possibly at MCRUs new place.
I assume all-comers are welcome - DIY and trade, MC and MM, any price point?
Or do people want something more structured?
I will bow out at this point because, really I'm just putting this here as a bit of a placeholder...
Max N
Old Hand

#2 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Max N »

Oh yeah, sorry, forgot to say, maybe a bit of detail about the phono comparison at Owston would be useful as well as a starting point?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by IslandPink »

Max N wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:41 pm ..easier to get to for us southerners, possibly at MCRUs new place.
Well it's one or the other, not both ! :D

Could be good, I did hear some of the phono comparison but not diligently enough to make any clear statements other than I perked up a bit in involvement when Thomas's was in the system although that could have been to do with the music ...

I wish I could get on and build my variant of Nick's LCR but I must buckle down and get a stereo speaker system going... I know, I know ...
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Max N
Old Hand

#4 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Max N »

Ah, have I exposed myself as geographically illiterate?
I must admit that I don't actually know where David or Richard are based. I guess I assumed that as Richard couldn't get to Owston, but he was suggesting David's place as a venue, that....Oh I don't know.

Mark, I am in exactly the same boat as you. Plans for various phono stages, but I have decided that sorting out a good pair of speakers must come first. I think that if I get the speakers sorted, that will provide a solid foundation for experimentation with sources, amplification, etc....
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Nick »

Assuming David is up for this at some point in the future, his place is at Huddersfield. Though it is convenient for the Railway Station for non drivers. If he doesn’t read this, I will mention the idea to him.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Max N
Old Hand

#6 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Max N »

Huddersfield - hmm, yes, I see what you mean Mark.... :)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#7 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

As I initiated the idea I would like to put my input. Too complicated to get both MM and MC, and we must get a wide range of product. I believe for a test of excellence it needs to be a low output MC test. That creates the choices of valve stages with SS or SUT step up, supplied as a unit option. Any valve or nuvista stages that a member feels happy with a MC on their own. And solid state stages.

Format, start with the two cheapest offerings and drop the loser, working up through the price range, dropping the loser at each stage (but always remembering quality v price in our end reports). I see two results voted for 1/ best overall stage 2/ best value for money stage, maybe a third for best budget. We should try and get as many items as possible in the test as this saga has created much conflict over the years. SUT v SS, valve v SS, so it would be nice to get something pretty much definitive. For DIY stages a honest estimate of the cost to the maker also accounting for time involved would be useful to know where to slot it in.

TT to be decided, I don't want to bring my TT all that way but will bring my Ortofon SPU Gold MC cart if voted for.

For a bit of fun I can also show that the stage I bring can be run from single power supply or dual power supply, one per channel, and a monster 4000va supply made up of four 1000va supplies each powering a gain stage. This will be to show the influence power supply size has on musical quality of the same stage, as lots of people think these things only need a wall plug supply.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#8 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Max N wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:10 pm Ah, have I exposed myself as geographically illiterate?
I must admit that I don't actually know where David or Richard are based. I guess I assumed that as Richard couldn't get to Owston, but he was suggesting David's place as a venue, that....Oh I don't know.

Mark, I am in exactly the same boat as you. Plans for various phono stages, but I have decided that sorting out a good pair of speakers must come first. I think that if I get the speakers sorted, that will provide a solid foundation for experimentation with sources, amplification, etc....
I explained my reasons for dropping out earlier. The main purpose was to get my TT Cressy has been building for me, but it turned out to be inconvenient for him, and other stuff had to be collected. I am now collecting it all from Cressy tomorrow.

For this bake-off which I see as an important event Huddersfield is fine.
Nick
Site Admin

#9 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Nick »

Quote from Dave "yes I am up for that for certain"

But don’t get too excited as we have to get the basement system up and running first.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#10 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Sounds like a plan - Huddersfield's good for me. I'll bring my Whest along, I'd be really quite interested to hear it up against the NVA Phono 2 actually, alongside others.

Although right now I'm pretty happy with it, even after hearing it against others at Owston, if it turns out that I can get better sound for less than the resale value then WINNING!! - upgraded sound and money in my pocket for more records! :D Like I need more records (looks over at groaning shelves)

My turntable needs a team of movers and a van to get it out of the flat so I can't help there, I'm afraid. Actually, truth be told, I'm more nervous about having to remount a nude Van Den Hul without a stylus guard.
Last edited by Thermionic Idler on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#11 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by mainscablesrus »

The railway station is 1 minute walk from my new place.

Suggest a HANA MC low output or whatever else is suggested as a suitable cartridge as both myself and Nick have one.

Sunday is the best day as there are no traffic wardens lurking about and we are next door to Tescos for snacks and round the corner is a craft ale pub, what more could a man ask for!

I have plenty of my own turntables so no one needs to bring one, Cressy is making me a Lenco special so if that's ready we can use that or my 401 or if someone prefers another even a TECHY god forbid (lol).

If anyone wants to start looking into numbers start a list so I know how many people to accommodate....

Start off

ME
Nick
Richard D.
Mr Idler
Max N
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#12 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Gotta be an idler drive. Not that I'm biased or anything...
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by IslandPink »

Hasn't the Hana got a rather high output impedance ? - in which case it's be at a significant disadvantage whenever a SUT is used ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#14 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Nick »

We can make plans for the rest of the system when we are closer to having a confirmed date.
JohnG
Old Hand

#15 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by JohnG »

I have been trying to create a Phono Shoot Out Funday via another forum, I believe there will be a idler drive up front and a selection of speakers.
I don,t know the etiquette on informing of this event across forums, but I am sure the more Phono's the merrier.
If anyone would like to know a little more PM me. The event has a venue East of Birmingham.