Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Subjects that don't have their own home
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#1 Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by mainscablesrus »

This was mentioned quite a while ago elsewhere but as usual nothing came of it (or so it seems to me).

Anyone up for starting 1?

I would volunteer my new place as a start, if the first few are successful I am happy to keep using my new place for regular meets every few months.

There is a good pub across the road serving craft ales, Tescos round the corner and plenty of car parking free on Sundays (would hope so anyway)!

Suggestions as to a suitable format more than welcome.

Bring 3 LP's and 1 item of gear each would be my initial thought, spend the day listening to each others music and tinkering a bit with kit. Other ideas anyone got any?

The new premises will be ready to move into end of May, the basement will have a large dem room big enough to accommodate 10-15 visitors at least and I am all ears and eyes as to what anyone else can suggest to make it a joyous occasion?

As those of you who know me well and maybe those who don't but are reading this anyway there is no selling involved or any pressure to buy anything, its a bunch of old farts enjoying themselves, simple really!

I propose a R2R session for the first meeting, my Studer B67 is back from being modified by Gamut Audio and I have some legally copied material from STS and Analogy Records to play on the Studer and I am expecting the system to sound astonishingly good once it's all set up properly, I hope some of you can come along to hear it too! Any fellow R2R owners most welcomed.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by IslandPink »

Good idea as long as it's called t' Yorkshire Hi-Fi club !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#3 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by Ali Tait »

Sounds good to me.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#4 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Commercial venture ?
chris661
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by chris661 »

Interested. Not sure if it'd be of interest to anyone, but I'd be happy to bring some test gear along if anyone wants some graphs for their creations.

Chris
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#6 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by Scottmoose »

Likewise. :) Although due to lack of space, unfortunately I'm digital only at present.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#7 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by andrew Ivimey »

All power to your elbow! Very best of everything.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#8 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by andrew Ivimey »

P.S. it wasn't so long ago I stood and drooled over a beautiful B77. I could have bought it, ho hum, but it was enormous .
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#9 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by Nick »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:06 am Commercial venture ?
AFAIK, the shop is, but the club is more of a community idea. I think Dave wants a excuse to listen to music and talk shit about hifi, and probably some beer might be involved as well across the road.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by Cressy Snr »

I'd be up for it. It isn't that far for me.
Been to Steve's at Hull plenty of times so no problem for Huddersfield.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#11 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

And the hidden motive is :lol: :P

BTW does the sign on the front of his shop rotate.

I know you like him Nick but I hope that doesn't mean we all have to, 'cos I have distinct case of jaundice when it comes to hi-fi retailers. Not yellow but red with little steam puffs coming out of my ears. Well if it is genuine I suppose it is a way he can give back a little of the 30 to 70% he takes from every customer.

I may be in the minority here, we will see, but I have my opinion from over 40 years of experience of them as a genre.
Nick
Site Admin

#12 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by Nick »

Nobody has to liker or dislike anyone.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#13 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by mainscablesrus »

As those of you who know me well and maybe those who don't but are reading this anyway there is no selling involved or any pressure to buy anything, its a bunch of old farts enjoying themselves, simple really!
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#14 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by mainscablesrus »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:43 am P.S. it wasn't so long ago I stood and drooled over a beautiful B77. I could have bought it, ho hum, but it was enormous .
The B67 I got off ebay after a good friend of mine who is an expert on R2R quizzed the seller with about 90 questions as to its age and condition. It was then shipped to the owner of Gamut Audio who is also a self confessed R2R fanatic. He has spent about 7 months all told modifying it into something rather special.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#15 Re: Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club

Post by Ali Tait »

Look forward to hearing it David.