Proposed Chesterfest.

Subjects that don't have their own home
markh
User

Post by markh »

Yeah, I might take my little OB's and a 2a3 amp I'm playing with. I promise to leave my car stereo at home!

Everyone will be waiting for a date to finally confirm I guess, but I'm quite flexible. I'll plan on doing the driving and if you're available, hitch a lift!
Hope that's ok with you.

Anyone else in the Leeds area interested in sharing transport?

Mark
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

That's great Mark,thanks very much.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

I booked a room at the local community centre for Saturday 23rd August.

http://www.caldyvalleychurch.org.uk/centre_info.htm

No pub attached to this venue, but there is one three minutes walk away if anyone gets desperate.

There is ample parking and access is pretty good.

The room is 36'x30' and is not carpetted, so it may result in a lively sound. Bring yer own rug.:)

Tea and coffee making facilities and food in the form of sandwiches will be laid on.
Expected cost per head is likely to be around £7-8, depending on numbers attending. So far we have 17 persons expressing an interest. Might have to restrict numbers to around 20.

I hope that the lower attendance (when compared to Owston) will lend itself to listening to individual components rather than just entire systems. Which we could do as well if time allows.

I'll be asking those who wish to turn up to confirm nearer the day.

Looking forward.
Much to learn there is.
Brian
User

Post by Brian »

Latest addition to my system is one of these:
http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_django.htm

If anyone is interested I can bring it along (if all goes to plan) together with the lash-up job I did on the Neofone's, although I'm sure they'll struggle in such a large room. There is a small chance that between now and the 23rd August I may have had the time to throw the Neofone's into a BIB, as another experiment.

Brian
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Here are the names of those who have expressed interest in attending, or whose names have been suggested.
Forgive me if i have missed anyone out.
In no particular order.

Marco.
Ian Walker.
Ian Kay.
Dave Anderton.
Dunc.
Yomanze.
Chris Frost.
Aquapiranha.
Shian7 (Mike)
Tony Moore.
Lee
Brian.
Martin.(Deco-Doctor).
Mark H.
Ali.
Nick G.
Les.
Rob.
Me.
Possibly 4 more whose names i don't yet have.

If any of these are able to confirm before the date, that would be helpful
Much to learn there is.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Thinking ahead.

If we are to attempt a reference system style reviewing session, whereby everyones gear gets substituted into a chosen system. Then some issues need to be considered.

Firstly repetitive listening to tracks.
I thought we could overcome the inevitable boredom by using three pre- defined (shortish) tracks from different artists/genres for each session. Maybe Rock, Jazz and Classical.
Ie. Three tracks for digital sources, another three for amps and so on.
Probably best to have all these tracks from the same albums.
Possibly a compilation of these would save time, and allow a faster changeover of components.
This would also give people chance to aquaint themselves with the music at home prior to the day. With this in mind, i think the albums chosen shouldn't be too obscure.

Everyone knows a warm tube amp sounds better than cold. So anyone bringing these might also want to bring along some 8ohm resistors that can be plugged into the speaker sockets to enable safe warming up.

There are just four double 13 amp sockets throughout the room, so some extension leads will be provided. If you bring your own please label them. I have never known anything go missing at these events but things can get mixed up. Given that only one system will be playing at any one time i don't forsee any problems here.

Depending on the amount of equipment we have to listen to. It may be an idea if we have stuff setup at both ends of the room.
There is likely to be a separate DAC comparison at some point and i think a turntable one too.

Suggestions of suitable music/albums for the three tracks please.
Suggestions for anything else welcomed.

I don't want to be too regimented, but if we have a lot of stuff to get through then we have to accept some order.

There will be no competition, no prizes, just an informal chance to meet, see and hear what everyone else is doing.

I'll be there from about 9 am, setting up the room, and we'll get under way as soon as the majority have arrived. The building/room should be exclusively ours for the day, so if you arrive early please make yourself known as i don't yet know everybody.

I would like to think that everyone will return home, having heard their gear used with something very different to their own. If that happens, then we can call it a success.
Much to learn there is.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Sounds good Al. If you need any info on what people are bringing, I was intending (assuming I can lift it) to bring

turntable
Phono stage + power supply
Breadboarded DAC
211 amp
TVC preamp

I was going ot leave the OB's at home, as most have heard them now, and I might be able to fit the above into the car instead of having to use Kays 4*4

If some of it gets used, good, if none of it gets used also good.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
markh
User

Post by markh »

al newall wrote:Thinking ahead.
Hi Al,
Looks like a marathon event! 3 x 3 min tracks with 30+ permutations...
Seriously, given the enormous interest in your event, unless you are particularly short of loudspeakers to play with, I'll just come and listen if I may. Probably the less gear, the better the day.

Rgds
Mark :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

It sounds like it'll be a good event!

I was planning on bringing along:

1. CDPro2 based CD player
2. My SqueezeBox/TDA1541A hybrid! (+laptop, etc)
3. My WAD 300B PP amp

Speakers are a possibility but I'd certainly need some help and transport as they won't fit in my car, nor can I lift them easily without getting a hernia and back problems. (IPL S5Tl golds)

For those listening via CD may I suggest one of the Oriental Bass tracks for one of the listening tests. It's a very lively and revealing album and also has more depth so less likely to get bored with it so quickly maybe?

Cheers,
Tony
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Hi Al,
I'd like to confirm.I'd like to bring-
1-Mr Liang 845
2-Audio-Note Zero dac

Tony's bringing his 300b PP so I won't bother with mine.I could also bring a KEL84 if anyone hasn't heard one and wants to.

Mark,am I still on for a lift?
markh
User

Post by markh »

Ali Tait wrote: Mark,am I still on for a lift?
Hi Ali
Looking forward to it....

RGds
Mark
PS PM
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Updated list.

Marco.
Ian Walker.
Ian Kay.
Dave Anderton.
Dunc.
Yomanze.
Chris Frost.
Aquapiranha.
Shian7 (Mike)
Tony Moore.
Lee
Brian.
Martin.(Deco-Doctor).
Mark H.
Ali.
Nick G.
Les.
Rob.
Me.
Steve Toy.
Anthony (Matthews)
Barry
Tony
Tonys friend.
Much to learn there is.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Sounds good Al. If you need any info on what people are bringing, I was intending (assuming I can lift it) to bring
Yeah, i suppose thats going to be the next question.

Cheers.

I'm not sure yet, but I don't think we will be overun with speakers. Some of these guys have speakers the size of wardrobes and ain't gonna be simply chucking them in the car.
Much to learn there is.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

looks like a good meet brewing..

shame i'm away on holiday that weekend or i would have come

steve
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Mark.

If for example we have 15 amps, 8 cd players and 10 speakers. Each getting 9 mins.
Thats roughly 5 hours plus breaks and changeover time. Then the turntables and DACs ...2hours. Total 7hrs. 10am-6pm =8hrs.
That gonna be tough.

Cutting each component down to 6mins would bring the total to over 6hrs.
That might work better.

When we find out who is coming and what they are bringing, i'll try and work out what's feasable.
Much to learn there is.