Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Subjects that don't have their own home
steve s
Shed dweller

#46 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by steve s »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:06 am so I am surplus to requirements.
There are no requirements doc other than your own
There is nothing commercial about it.
The meetings are not about that.. it's about listening and learning and enjoying it...
Lots of good chat, hearing others prospectives and some good music and kit
One thing I've learnt is there are many ways to achieve your goal... And outside the box thinking is valid

For the likes of morgan Jones to be coming again says a lot about our meets ...and the people who attend
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#47 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I don't think you understood what I wrote.
DSJR
User

#48 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by DSJR »

But I think he's suggesting you'd be regarded as a fellow music lover and 'enthusiast' rather than an online manufacturer. The fact that an NVA amp or two may be there as well isn't really relevant here as I believe they'd be secondary to the speakers, which people ARE interested in!
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#49 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

But I am not, the same as MCRU I am a pollutant, that is the way people will observe me. If I just went with Doc Mods cap on it would be passable, but I don't have time for that, it only justified when I had to cost in picking up my TT from Anthony anyway. And Nick is taking the Doc Mods anyway.

Owston is pretty much unique and should remain so, with all of us looking on in horror at valves and transformers spread out over a chunk of plywood with thousands of volts connected by croc clips :shock: , and multitudinous open baffle speakers.

In reality I am too old with too much work, I have nothing to learn, and nothing to teach, apart from nudging people to find out for themselves.

The places I want to go are NEBO, MiBO, Scalford (as was), ASBO (tas) but I am not allowed to.
steve s
Shed dweller

#50 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by steve s »

I understand you better than you may realise doc
I been to many scalfords and twice to the nebo meet

Ours is more diy based.. but just as good ....

Dave is right you would be welcomed as a fellow enthusiast...
Nobody wants confrontation face to face .. And it would not be welcome at one of my meets ... if it did it would be my last ...
We have on accasions a few keyboard warrior's amongst us but face to face it does not matter one jot
Everyone gets on...
There is no pressure from me for you to attend, that's your choice but if you do attend you may be pleasantly supprised
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
JohnG
Old Hand

#51 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by JohnG »

I,m doing Stoyans bidding here.
He has informed me the Sony CDP 970 has three divergent power supplies, for the digital section,
DAC's and Valve Rectifiers with separate Choke Filters for both channels.
I know some body out there knows what this is all about.
If any one would like to have a CD played through it bring your fav's along.
He is claiming it is a very satisfying re-design.
steve s
Shed dweller

#52 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by steve s »

Look forward to hearing that John
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#53 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by Dave the bass »

If for some reason my whiz-bang screwed-to-a-lump-of-wood I2S into Sabre-toothed-summat or other DAC and Laptop source fails to behave .... is there anyone else that has a USB input DAC I could borrow that I could feed from my Laptop? Or even something I could plug a USB memory stick into and play my top tunes through? ... they're good 'uns of course :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#54 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by Ali Tait »

Yep, I'm bringing a Mytek Dave, that'll work fine from the laptop.
steve s
Shed dweller

#55 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by steve s »

Looking through the post we have around 8 systems and quite a few single items to listen to.
That should keep us busy for Saturday. The Sunday is more of a later back mix and match day any way but I'm sure we will have a great weekend.

If anyone else wants to bring a full system please do. I know it hard work but it makes the day

As I said when I first posted the costs have risen this year
The cost for the Saturday is now £15 that includes
Tea / Coffee at around 11.00 & buffet lunch at 12.30 and the room hire
Sunday at this point there is just the £100 room hire to share between those whose name is down, but we will have a vote on Sat morning for adding tea /Coffee on Sunday, an extra £1.50 each, and I'll collect all the money in sat lunch time as usual
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#56 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by Dave the bass »

Ali Tait wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:07 am Yep, I'm bringing a Mytek Dave, that'll work fine from the laptop.
That's super brill, ta Ali. It's just in case the lump of wood DAC fails to function and it'll save me bringing an SBT + accoutrements. Ta Poppit.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#57 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by Ali Tait »

No problem sweetcheeks. :D
chris661
Shed dweller

#58 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by chris661 »

steve s wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:10 am Looking through the post we have around 8 systems and quite a few single items to listen to.
That should keep us busy for Saturday. The Sunday is more of a later back mix and match day any way but I'm sure we will have a great weekend.

If anyone else wants to bring a full system please do. I know it hard work but it makes the day
Update - I'll be bringing...

- PA system, with one of the new subs.
- little Fostex monitors
- Behringer B3030a monitors.

They all have their own amps & processing, but we can try different sources easily enough. The Behringer monitors will need an inline attenuator since they're designed to be fed straight from a desk.

I'll also bring the mixing desk - there's a few multi-track recordings on there that people can tinker with (through headphones or speakers) which might be fun.

Chris
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#59 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:17 pm If for some reason my whiz-bang screwed-to-a-lump-of-wood I2S into Sabre-toothed-summat or other DAC and Laptop source fails to behave .... is there anyone else that has a USB input DAC I could borrow that I could feed from my Laptop? Or even something I could plug a USB memory stick into and play my top tunes through? ... they're good 'uns of course :)
I also brunging my HiFimeDIY one, should work.

:thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#60 Re: Owston 2017 - What're you bringing?

Post by Dave the bass »

Ta Mike, s'good to know there's a back up.