Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Subjects that don't have their own home
steve s
Shed dweller

#286 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by steve s »

Ray P wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:34 pm I have to say that the Owston buffet was good food for the price; I really enjoyed the sausage rolls and the scones weren't bad either. What about others who attended, what did you think?

Ray
ray I enjoyed it too... best buffet yet?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Firebottle
User

#287 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Firebottle »

Ray P wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:34 pm I have to say that the Owston buffet was good food for the price; I really enjoyed the sausage rolls and the scones weren't bad either. What about others who attended, what did you think?

Ray
It was an excellent buffet, the beef and horseradish sandwiches were superb, as were the quiche and sausage rolls.
Don't you just love valve phono stages 8)
steve s
Shed dweller

#288 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by steve s »

Cressy Snr wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:47 pm

But for the "process" I would never have deduced that the problem with dynamics was due to my amp rather than the speakers.

Steve that's a point thats often missed
too many times it's easy to blame the speakers when it's something in the chain, its a very skilled person who can identify every issue by listening

It was funny how those horn mouthed speakers woke your amp up.. Was it the single driver ?

Those comparisons we do are invaluable in my view
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#289 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray
Agreed, I reckon that was the best Owston Buffet yet,top marks to Mr Owston Chef. And, there was even food that wasn't yellow in colour for the super slim cyclists division.....bwahahahahhaaha!

Loved those scones, I ate three. I'm not in the super slim cyclists division.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#290 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Dave the bass »

steve s wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:24 am

It was funny how those horn mouthed speakers woke your amp up.. Was it the single driver ?
It was a co-axial unit. Stoyan (sp?) I believe had them made by a fella. I was impressed, they ticked a lot of boxes for me.
cressy
Shed dweller

#291 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by cressy »

I think they were css drivers, coaxial iirc
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#292 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Dave the bass »

Snap!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#293 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Ali Tait »

Dave the bass wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 am
steve s wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:24 am

It was a co-axial unit. Stoyan (sp?) I believe had them made by a fella. I was impressed, they ticked a lot of boxes for me.
Yeah, didn't get a chance for a proper listen, but what I heard sounded very good.

Bring them next time Stoyan!
chris661
Shed dweller

#294 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by chris661 »

cressy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:28 am I think they were css drivers, coaxial iirc
Seas H1333. 7" coaxial, poly cone and fabric dome tweeter. I quite liked them. I was impressed at how much low end they could put out while the rest of the range stayed pretty clean. Might be interesting to try those in a small passive radiator box with EQ (more cone area than the Fostex drivers = more headroom), but they're not cheap and I've other projects on for now.

I enjoyed the buffet. The sausage rolls were excellent.

Reflecting on what I heard at Owston, I'm going to be looking for a nicer amplifier for my tweeters. The iNukes get the job done, but they obviously weren't doing Colin's speakers much justice in the high-end, so I suspect they didn't help my setup either.

Chris
cressy
Shed dweller

#295 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by cressy »

Yer want a 300b otl for it chris :D
chris661
Shed dweller

#296 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by chris661 »

cressy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:01 am Yer want a 300b otl for it chris :D
Sure, if I can get a 2U rackmount one that doesn't mind being kicked around a bit, and will put out >200w/ch into 8ohm. Oh, and I'd like it to use an SMPS to keep weight down.
Think I'll grab something nice by QSC. The PLX range are supposed to sound excellent for the mid-high range, but don't have much guts when it comes to driving hard at low impedances. Since it'll only ever by 8ohm/ch and >800Hz, I think they'll be worth a look. Of course, I'd love to have a rack full of Lab Gruppen amps. Just not at those prices...

Chris
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#297 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Daniel Quinn »

shane wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:52 pm So as long as you can carry on spilling your bile, that's the only thing that matters is it? Never mind that you're offending practically every other member, to the point that many people will get fed up and leave, that's not your concern. The truth, your truth that is, is more important. You're quite happy to ruin something that a lot of people love, because your principals are so bloody important? Next thing, you'll be sounding off about freedom of speech. Well, Nick's granted you that in his forum but with freedom comes responsibility. Responsibility to respect the feelings of others. That seems to have passed you by.
You appear a little confused , whilst this is a good forum , it is so because it as knowledge people who have empirical knowledge of hifi , as such it is refreshingly free of hifi bullshit . However , aside from posts about peoples projects it is ditchwater dull , largely because it dominated by a group of cosy old men who prefer to be slapped on the back and have their views applauded , reinforced and praised ,rather than challenged.

Furthermore , as soon as these cosy old men spot a post they do not like they bleat on like distressed sheep dressed as fascist stormtroopers . Bemoaning like they have some god given right to dictate content simply because of longevity.

And fireybum , I thank you for your personality assessment of moi , alas I must of missed the life lesson that indicated tartan trousers were the sine qua non of a sparkling personality :wink:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#298 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Shane - So its your forum is it, your safe little castrated old pensioners allotment garden shed where you can hide from the real world. Sorry the real world is coming to get you. Who do you speak for apart from yourself (and Noddy and a couple of others maybe), you have done far more to derail this thread than I have.
chris661
Shed dweller

#299 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by chris661 »

... And there goes the SNR. Again.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#300 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Daniel Quinn »

You know the way that things go
When what you fight for starts to fall
And in that fuzzy picture
The writing stands out on the wall
So clearly on the wall

Send out the signals deep and loud

And in this place, can you reassure me
With a touch, a smile - while the cradle's burning
All the while the world is turning to noise
Oh the more that it's surrounding us
The more that it destroys
Turn up the signal
Wipe out the noise

Send out the signal deep and loud

Man I'm losing sound and sight
Of all those who can tell me wrong from right
When all things beautiful and bright
Sink in the night
Yet there's still something in my heart
That can find a way
To make a start
To turn…

P Gabriel Signal to Noise .

lets turn up the sausage roll discourse , Look at him with his sausage roll thumb .