Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#301 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by ed »

ah...
this was a wip and my biggest critic said I should work on the vocal(note, not the lyrics)...but I think it'll do like this:

http://www.vitalstates.org/diy/misc/bullies.wma
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
shane
Social outcast

#302 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by shane »

It's very obvious that Richard and Daniel have far more experience with forum conflict than I, and equally obvious that neither will ever listen, so I shall do what wiser people than I do and ignore the rubbish. You've won chaps. Your god given right to express your point of view regardless of any other consideration has over-ridden anyone else's wish to have a forum that's enjoyable, informative and entertaining. I'm sorry if that bores you Daniel, but there are plenty of other forums that thrive on conflict. You could always go to them for your excitement.

Coffee and croissants beckon. Managed to get hold of a Francis Francis Illy coffee machine a while ago. Best cup of coffee I've had for years...
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
thomas
Old Hand

#303 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by thomas »

chris661 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:58 am ... And there goes the SNR. Again.

Well I laughed!

I look forward to the next Owston and meeting people in person. In the meantime I shall endeavour to put my phonostage into a pretty case....
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#304 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

shane wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:54 am It's very obvious that Richard and Daniel have far more experience with forum conflict than I, and equally obvious that neither will ever listen, so I shall do what wiser people than I do and ignore the rubbish. You've won chaps. Your god given right to express your point of view regardless of any other consideration has over-ridden anyone else's wish to have a forum that's enjoyable, informative and entertaining. I'm sorry if that bores you Daniel, but there are plenty of other forums that thrive on conflict. You could always go to them for your excitement.
Perhaps you should have done that in the first place and avoided so much wasted forum space.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#305 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well back to the point, who is up for this MC Phono Stage bake off. Obviously I can't host it and Fireybum is once again trying to avoid it. Perhaps this could be a situation where MCRU can show he is not just grooming you by providing the facility and not having a horse in the race, unless he is selling Nick's one, but even that doesn't matter as long as there are neutral ears. I am sure we could gather quite a few for the event, it may even become the definitive Phono stage event.

If it works other parts of the chain could be done, how about DACs. I don't make one so would not be involved apart from as an interested observer or even potential customer. I don't do digital :cry:
Nick
Site Admin

#306 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Nick »

I was considering suggesting David's space. It's not ready yet but I will ask and bring up the suggestion when it is.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#307 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by simon »

chris661 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:00 am
cressy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:28 am I think they were css drivers, coaxial iirc
Seas H1333.
Thanks Chris, blog updated again :-).

The buffet was definitely a step up. No curry like...
chris661
Shed dweller

#308 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by chris661 »

No problem. After I got back (and sorted out the gig I half-missed), it was one of the first things I checked up on.

FWIW, I wouldn't be that bothered about a phono stage shootout. I understand why you guys might want one, and I wish you all the best with it. Perhaps it's worth starting a new thread about.

Chris
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#309 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by pre65 »

chris661 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:47 pm
FWIW, I wouldn't be that bothered about a phono stage shootout. I understand why you guys might want one, and I wish you all the best with it. Perhaps it's worth starting a new thread about.

Chris
Good idea, I missed some of the shootout so a detailed re-cap would be nice.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
thomas
Old Hand

#310 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by thomas »

I've put the phonostage schematic on the projects thread....
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#311 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Firebottle wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:30 pm Glad I made you laugh, you come across as such a sour puss usually.
Also if you are sticking to facts try getting them correct in the future, the Phono 1 is £280, not £250.

For a comparison to the Phono 2 see here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthre ... post827899
Correct me If I am wrong , but all those phono's were tested as mm devises with a moving coil cartridge and as such a jez arkless mc head amp was required . That is of course an illegiamte way to test any phono stage let alone one from a designer with a passionate hatred of head amps . It is analogous to having sex with Zoe Deschanel whilst being forced to wear a Samsung virtual reality head set and ear phones with images of Teresa May being projected saying strong and stable over and over .

Apologies for forgetting RD's first price increase in years . A phono 1 costs £280 plus free postage plus 30 day money back no quibbles return plus full price trade in on a phono 2 within 2 years .
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#312 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by Paul Barker »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:30 am Well back to the point, who is up for this MC Phono Stage bake off. Obviously I can't host it and Fireybum is once again trying to avoid it. Perhaps this could be a situation where MCRU can show he is not just grooming you by providing the facility and not having a horse in the race, unless he is selling Nick's one, but even that doesn't matter as long as there are neutral ears. I am sure we could gather quite a few for the event, it may even become the definitive Phono stage event.

If it works other parts of the chain could be done, how about DACs. I don't make one so would not be involved apart from as an interested observer or even potential customer. I don't do digital :cry:
I'd like to come to that event if my schedule allows.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#313 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by pre65 »

I'm not sure if it's already on here somewhere, but I came across American Ray's (ratbagp) blog about his Owston trip.

http://ratbagp.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/o ... -land.html

Edmund Burke

ratbagp
User

#314 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by ratbagp »

Thanks for remembering me. I really enjoyed my time in England though it has been good to be home.

I have started work on my version of the BAF 15 Schade amp and will post some info eventually.

ray
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#315 Re: Audio Talk meet Owston, Doncaster, 10&11 june 17

Post by pre65 »

ratbagp wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:32 am Thanks for remembering me. I really enjoyed my time in England though it has been good to be home.

I have started work on my version of the BAF 15 Schade amp and will post some info eventually.

ray
Looking forward to that Ray. :)

Edmund Burke