Hot and dry holiday destination.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Michael L
Old Hand

#106 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by Michael L »

We got back from a week in Porto - Portugal early this morning. If anyone here is interested in city breaks it's a must see. The Dom Luis I bridge made from steel is a double decker. The top deck used to be used by road traffic until Porto built it's metro system in the early 'noughties'. Now, metro trains appear from underground just before the bridge and take the centre while pedestrians walk either side across the bridge.
There is a small park in the middle of the city grassed over with mature olive trees and a cafe/bar playing Portuguese and Brazilian music. Nothing unusual there until you see that's it's built above shops which are built over underground car parking. It's just the most laid back place to be in the sun.
As you wonder around the city you discover hidden gems. In an arty area I asked where there was an ATM and we ended up eating in a very pleasant restaurant hidden at the back of the building where the machine was. In another street I found a small shop selling electronic components. In another a small hifi shop full of used amps turntables (incl Thorens) and speakers.
Everywhere the people are very friendly and everything is inexpensive. It's all very photogenic. The market is a great place to enjoy a fishy lunch.
I realise on our return I missed a visit to another special cafe - BOP shown here-
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/portugal/t ... 79d276f8c3
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#107 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by jack »

Absolutely love Portugal - forget the mass-tourism resorts - it's just a beautiful country.

Forget not that it extends right out to the Azores which are still a largely undiscovered (by mass tourism) world of wonder.

We've had fabulous off-the-beaten-track times in Portugal - in Lisbon & Cascais/Sintra National Park, other parts of the mainland and various islands, including Maderia, Sao Miguel, Pico etc.

Lovely people, lovely place, lovely food & wine, lovely culture, lovely gentle pace of life. What's not to like?

For those who haven't been, go to the Azores before the hoi polloi discover it...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Michael L
Old Hand

#108 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by Michael L »

jack wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 12:34 pm Absolutely love Portugal - forget the mass-tourism resorts - it's just a beautiful country.

Forget not that it extends right out to the Azores which are still a largely undiscovered (by mass tourism) world of wonder.

We've had fabulous off-the-beaten-track times in Portugal - in Lisbon & Cascais/Sintra National Park, other parts of the mainland and various islands, including Maderia, Sao Miguel, Pico etc.

Lovely people, lovely place, lovely food & wine, lovely culture, lovely gentle pace of life. What's not to like?

For those who haven't been, go to the Azores before the hoi polloi discover it...
Nick, I agree completely with your views of the country and it's people. My Wife and I discussed the possibility of spending a month there to get a better feel for things with a view to a much longer visit. The stress of her Pharmacist position is detrimental to her health and we could probably manage there on my pension if we rented the house out. I despair at the anti-EU sentiment here in the UK and I don't know if reciprocal medical care of lack thereof will be a stumbling block post Brexit.
It may end up as just a dream but the thought of living in sunnier climes near the sea and exploring the country and Spain at length appeals.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#109 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by jack »

Michael L wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:55 pm ... I despair at the anti-EU sentiment here in the UK and I don't know if reciprocal medical care of lack thereof will be a stumbling block post Brexit.
It may end up as just a dream but the thought of living in sunnier climes near the sea and exploring the country and Spain at length appeals.
Concur entirely. So small-minded.

It's possible that I might be able, due to my heritage, to get a Portuguese passport - one of my sisters is doing the paperwork right now - if she gets it (and there's a pretty good chance), so do I and so do my children - SWMBO would be OK too as my spouse. You can hold dual Portuguese and British citizenship, so it'd be great if it works out.

Never though I'd like living in a hot country, but I kind of like it out here. England will always be "home", but being realistic, you can be back in Kent from Portugal faster that it used to take me to drive to Manchester (where my daughter went to uni).

They're even quite reasonable at rugby !
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#110 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by pre65 »

Had the trip to Chichen Itza yesterday,over 3 hours each way, but worth it. As Max said before, the ball court was really amazing, and no-one has ever really worked out exactly how the game was played.

On the way back we stopped at the Ik Kil cenote and Jean had a swim in it. I would have done but it's too deep for inexperienced swimmers. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ik_Kil

I'm having a short break from the sun while my (overlarge) breakfast digests. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#111 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by pre65 »

PS

On the outward flight I reckon we must have flown right over Shane's territory. :)

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

#112 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by shane »

I did wave, but you must have been looking out of the other window.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Max N
Old Hand

#113 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by Max N »

Hey Phil, glad you enjoyed it. When we were there (15 years ago!) the theory was that the winning team were decapitated (so they could go straight to heaven as their reward).
Ik Kil looks amazing, if we ever make it back to Mexico we'll check it out :)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#114 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by pre65 »

Off out soon for a boat trip on the Cancun Queen. :)

I slipped over yesterday between beach and pool. :( 8) Bare feet and wet floor, grazed my elbow so nothing major.

Flying home Thursday afternoon.

Edmund Burke

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#115 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by IslandPink »

pre65 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 4:54 pm I slipped over yesterday between beach and pool. :( 8) Bare feet and wet floor, grazed my elbow so nothing major.
Did you get it on camera to send to Harry Hill ? :D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Michael L
Old Hand

#116 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by Michael L »

Where to go in northern Europe?

We are off next month on our annual trip to Gdansk where we have a flat. This year we are beginning the trip with a flight to Amsterdam to spend a couple of days seeing the sights. Mrs L has never been there. We will travel by train from there.
We are looking for suggestions for a nice quiet place away from city bustle possibly in Germany or Austria or maybe Denmark where we can travel onward after a few days to Gdansk.
Any ideas?
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#117 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Theres sonething magical about the noryhern tip of Jutland,,,
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Michael L
Old Hand

#118 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by Michael L »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:28 pm Theres sonething magical about the noryhern tip of Jutland,,,
Yes it looks wonderful but some 12 hours by train to Aarlborg.
ratbagp
User

#119 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by ratbagp »

It may be a bit out of the way, but Meinignen which is close to the east / west border in Germany is interesting. Curiously, it is where Brahms fourth symphony was first performed by the court orchestra.

http://ratbagp.blogspot.com/2012/06/meiningen.html

If you like trains, it has a factory that repairs steam engines but it is open only on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month.

http://ratbagp.blogspot.com/2012/06/dam ... ingen.html

One of its kings, George II was highly influential in the staging of plays and there is a museum that contains some of the sets that influenced Stanislavsky.
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com/2012/07/mei ... nburg.html

Another possibility is Dresden. The restoration after the bomb damage is incredible and the city is not over-run with tourists.

http://ratbagp.blogspot.com/2012/06/dre ... stadt.html

http://ratbagp.blogspot.com/2012/06/dre ... -city.html

ray
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#120 Re: Hot and dry holiday destination.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Dresden is always worth a little time,
Was it you who was recommending Wroclaw a while back? - thats a cool happnin' kinda place.

Whats those lakes and stuff south of Gdansk?

There's always szlena gora - cant remember the spelling.....after Dresden on the way to Gdansk.

You mentioned Denmark. I love the place, the peeps and a certain young woman who,,,, another time,

Look, from Schipol nearlyvanywhere is within easy reach.... Trieste, Istanbul, Odessa, they're all wonderful, but then, I think you know that ;----------)
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.