The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#2626 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by simon »

pre65 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:26 pm The authority responsible for that bollard will be searching online tomorrow to track down the culprit. :lol:
If they knew who'd done it they probably would be seeking recovery of costs.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#2627 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ha! What a wicked world it is .
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2628 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Safer on foot ! . Walk on hills, Moel Famau , 2hrs 46 @ 130bpm. Training for the Greater Ranges. Might do a bike ride on Friday.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2629 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Nudged a little (0.1mph) closer to the magic 20mph average for my there and back route this evening. I think it helped that I didn't ride into anything! :lol:
Capture.JPG
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
ed
retired

#2630 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

oh waily waily....

wheels arrived today..got stuck in straight away.
to start with...not very impressed on first viewing....they are not freehubs and the cassette lockring has 2 holes in the keeper and no splines for a fitting tool...the hubs are marked Shimano but I'm doubting this because I was under the impression that Shimano didn't make freewheels these days, only freehubs..though I may be mistaken here, must do a bit of research.

Checking on Sheldon Brown the lockring looks like the French one he illustrates, but nothing like a Shimano that I can find.....academic anyway, I don't think I'll be changing it.

And then I am replacing a 13-22 hyperglide with a 14-28 of suspect appearance, and to accomodate I might have to buy a new chain..at present it indexes on the 5 smaller gears ok.....but I expected this from the advert as the 14-28 was mentioned.

And then I managed to pinch both tubes on refitting.....big holes in exactly the same place on both tubes.....I'm usually very diligent here but must have a particularly keen gremlin on my case today.

I'm going to keep the Wolbers and have the back wheel rebuilt at a later date.

If anybody is picky about their wheel set then I won't recommend madspeed7 to them....It was pointed out that you get what you pay for....still, waily waily!

edit: found the cassette - looks like a genuine Shimano, part of the tourney range - I guess it's 30 years down the line from the one it's replacing and consequently doesn't look like the quality.......my bad!!!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
ed
retired

#2631 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

Harry lives!

new tubes arrived this afternoon....impatient boy just had to fit them....did 2 or 3 miles just to see whats what...and all is good...

my thumbs are going to be useless for the next couple of days......I tried to fit the marathons back on without levers.....Impossible!! that's the word!
Ray P

#2632 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

ed wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:14 pm Harry lives!

new tubes arrived this afternoon....impatient boy just had to fit them....did 2 or 3 miles just to see whats what...and all is good...

my thumbs are going to be useless for the next couple of days......I tried to fit the marathons back on without levers.....Impossible!! that's the word!
Thats good Ed - the wheels that is, not the sore thumbs!

Are the wheels quiet or is there any pinging from the spokes - a possible tell-tale of them not being tensioned evenly.

Let's hope they stay true and you try not to but that to the test by riding into any more bollards.

You're probably aware that Tournay is down near the bottom of the Shimano pecking order - normally found on low-cost mass market bikes.
Ray P

#2633 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

My own replacement DT Swiss wheels are due to be delivered tomorrow so I'll also have the pleasure of fitting tyres!
ed
retired

#2634 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

Ray P wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:48 pm
You're probably aware that Tournay is down near the bottom of the Shimano pecking order - normally found on low-cost mass market bikes.
I think I tried to highlight that fact in an earlier post. Not least because its a freewheel and not a freehub. But the spacing and the rivetting just look cheap. Like I said you get what you pay for...and I was comparing to the Wolbers, which I have found to be outstanding, notwithstanding bearings which only seem to last 30 years..Pah! I say!

The wheels are quiet so far. I did the usual circuit this morning and turned in exactly the same time as normal. Disappointing as I was expecting the new wheels to go twice as fast...snigger
Ray P

#2635 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

ed wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:55 am ...and I was comparing to the Wolbers, which I have found to be outstanding, notwithstanding bearings which only seem to last 30 years..Pah! I say!
I would say that for the wheels to have lasted 30yrs with rim brakes not wearing out the rims is more notable than the bearings, but then we know from your recent posts that you use an alternative approach to stopping :lol:

Before getting the Wolber rebuilt I would suggest having a look at how much life is left in the rim.
ed
retired

#2636 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

Ray P wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:30 pm Before getting the Wolber rebuilt I would suggest having a look at how much life is left in the rim.
I think you're right Ray. I went off a bit quick in my haste to get back on the road and these madspeed7 wheels were the first I saw. I realise with a bit of research I could have got a much better wheel set with a seperate Shimano 7 speed 11-28 freehub cassette for not much more money, dare I say it, even from the likes of Halfords....

c'est la vie!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2637 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Used my Park Tool chain cleaner gadget for the first time. Excellent - very efficient. Painless to use and clean.
Then with my clean chain whirring quietly, I got in an easy ride of 1 hour 35 around some of the usual valley roads. Shame the sun had gone in though. Very warm.
On Ebay earlier I was looking for some 9spd spares, and managed to get an 9sp Ultegra 12-27 cassette for £12.50 because it was missing one sprocket. Looked pretty new, he had some good close-ups. Apparently someone sold it to him as an 8-speed, but it was actually 9sp with one cog missing :roll: Looks like you can still buy spare sprockets here & there, just looking around for the best value one. In any case it's excellent for spares.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2638 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Steady ride on 'Route 4' today. About 30 miles , 2hrs 13 . The sun was a bit bashful. Also there was a mild headwind that circled round during the ride, that was an odd one. Not the first time !
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2639 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Youtube is a goldmine of interesting cycling vids.
This one caught my eye, a week or two back. Superb stuff. Both funny and poignant, it reminded me of the old Leigh Premier days when I was a teenager, heading out in bad weather on similar roads on club-runs or reliability trials ; only these guys are HARDER ! How you can complete a 100mile ride in snow, without gloves or a hat ? not sure...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2640 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

61.5km today with 2450ft of climbing.

Silly idea really...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt