The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1141 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:51 am Great news Ray - glad to hear you're on the way back.

I seriously hope that route is by the back roads - the main A roads on that route are EVIL for cyclists...
Thanks Nick.

Oh yes, we're avoiding main roads and urban centres as much as possible, in fact the route includes a ferry across from Southampton to Hythe that avoids the worst of the city and delivers us neatly into the New Forest. Here are some links to the provisional route (in three parts because the route planning tool doesn't like ferries and trys to route you around the water);

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26706106

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26705760

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26706103

By taking this route on quieter roads gives a relatively benign profile too!

120miles feels a very long way after this morning's exertions but I know I can do it with the right preparation and riding in a small group for a good cause will certainly be motivating on the day.

BTW, we're happy for people to join us if there are any takers?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1142 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Congrats on getting back on the bike Ray. Thats good news.

WRT RwGPS route planning, you can get it to 'see' the ferry route and get it to add that extra mileage if you use the straight-line routing tool in options.

I've temporarily lost my fitness mojo too as I'm just commuting the 0.4(!) miles to work by bike and fitting in a few local loops for now, JTS has had her operation on her wonky foot finally and is a bit stuck mobility-wise for now so my wheelie bike time is spent elsewhere whilst she concentrates on growing another foot or summat...
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P

#1143 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Thanks for the tip on routing with RwGPS Dave, I'll check it out later. I think adding the extra miles in is a bit of a cheat though seeing as we'll be sitting on a boat!

Best wishes to JTS too for a quick recovery. Glad to see you're doing your duty and sacrificing your riding to look after her.

Is that the foot she uses to kick you, if so I'm not surprised it needed a repair.

Cheers

Ray
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1144 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:59 pm Is that the foot she uses to kick you, if so I'm not surprised it needed a repair.
The very same, its the 2nd time its been operated on... she's got a load of metalwork in there now to help her get a better swing at my bum :)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1145 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Bit of the old Barry Sheen's then ?
Wish her all the best on that.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P

#1146 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Yuk. I went out on the hybrid this morning and managed fifteen very wet. windy and muddy miles at only 14mph average. I planned on doing more than that but it was pretty cold and miserable. I'll have to make up for it tomorrow if the weather improves.

Mr bass, can you point me at the 'direct routing' option in RwGPS as I seem to be suffering from brain fade - might it not be part of the free version? Cheers.

Ray
shane
Social outcast

#1147 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by shane »

In Somerton today and you’re right. Not good cycling weather. Not much fun driving up this morning either, lots of spray and standing water.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1148 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:40 pm I've temporarily lost my fitness mojo too as I'm just commuting the 0.4(!) miles to work by bike
Is that all it is now?
JTS has had her operation on her wonky foot finally
Yeech! :shock:

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1149 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:52 am Mr bass, can you point me at the 'direct routing' option in RwGPS as I seem to be suffering from brain fade - might it not be part of the free version? Cheers.

Ray
Yeah, when you're in the 'Plan' menu (for planning a route) click on the 'Overview Tab, 'Optimise for cycling -> 'Draw Lines'. That switches off the 'follow-road' command which sticks your routes only to cyclable roads/paths/whatevers. Switching to 'Draw lines allows to plot routes in straight lines, A->B.
Mike H wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:33 pm
Dave the bass wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:40 pm I've temporarily lost my fitness mojo too as I'm just commuting the 0.4(!) miles to work by bike
Is that all it is now?
Yeah, got a different job now thats (even) closer to home, 2 mins by cycle, about 8 mins by walking. Win-Win!
JTS has had her operation on her wonky foot finally
Yeech! :shock:

[/quote]

Yeech!!!!!!!? You dissin' me bird?! :)

I reckon she's a bit of alright, I quite fancy 'er really .
Ray P

#1150 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:17 pm Yeah, when you're in the 'Plan' menu (for planning a route) click on the 'Overview Tab, 'Optimise for cycling -> 'Draw Lines'. That switches off the 'follow-road' command...
Got it. Ta
Ray P

#1151 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I didn't get out on Sunday, it was wet again and I got rather involved with listening to my new DSD project, but it was back to the gym again last night, I had a good session on the spin bike - a virtual 7miles in 19mins 37 secs, that equates to an average 21.4mph. I'm planning a lunchtime ride with a couple of guys from work later in the week. I have a lot of preparation before me if I'm to ride 120miles in August so the aim is to get back to a good level of fitness, and down to a beter weight, for when spring arrives so I can take advantage of the better weather for to start banking the miles.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1152 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:38 am I didn't get out on Sunday, it was wet again and I got rather involved with listening to my new DSD project, but it was back to the gym again last night, I had a good session on the spin bike - a virtual 7miles in 19mins 37 secs, that equates to an average 21.4mph. I'm planning a lunchtime ride with a couple of guys from work later in the week. I have a lot of preparation before me if I'm to ride 120miles in August so the aim is to get back to a good level of fitness, and down to a beter weight, for when spring arrives so I can take advantage of the better weather for to start banking the miles.
120 miles is not that bad - all depends on the profile - there's a big difference in "getting round" and "getting round comfortably" :)

My own fitness battles continue, so I'm with you on this :)
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P

#1153 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:35 am120 miles is not that bad...
I feel pretty daunted at the moment Nick but that should start to dissipate as I get my fitness back to where it was last summer.

How's the back?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1154 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:38 am I have a lot of preparation before me if I'm to ride 120miles in August ...........
'ang on.

120/31 = 3.870967741935484 (ish)

3.8 miles a day.

Pfffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. I thought you was a rufty tufty biker boy :)
Ray P

#1155 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

That new job working in a school has learned you stuff then...