The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2671 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Good weather today so i'm just going to head out into the hilly wilds of West Somerset - probably around 40miles with a coffee stop beside the Bristol Channel.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2672 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Managed a two-hour walk on the hills yesterday and just now, a 1.5 hr bike ride, using some of the smaller and slightly more hilly roads around the valley. Feeling pretty strong actually, that's a good sign. Only 2 weeks till my long-postponed LaKe District holiday.
Pretty chilly out there though, but not quite as autumnal as yesterday. Lots of combine-harvesting going on.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P

#2673 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Turned into a good 50mile ride this afternoon, very pleasant weather.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
I remembered to take some pictures!

After coffee and cake at a little beach cafe it's a big climb up to the top of the Brendon Hills, topping out at about 1400ft, the pictures are at about 1100ft up the climb looking north with the Welsh coast on the horizon (the red arrow shows the approximate location of the cafe).

and finally a DtB style selfie, but without the cheese and piccalilli sarnies...

Ray P

#2674 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Got any old inner tubes hanging around?

https://www.cycleofgood.com/recycle-your-tubes/

or fancy owning an ex-postie bike, with the option of a large sandwich tray on the front (the site rather tactfully calls them parcel trays!);

https://www.cycleofgood.com/shop/elepha ... hant-bike/
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2675 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Nice scenery in the background there, Ray !

Friday - 1 hr 10 mins bike ride, usual stuff Llanbedr DC & back, 137bpm. Tune-up for today's walk.

Today : Snowdonia - Moel Siabod from the lay-by on the A5 ; quarries and East ridge on the way up, main ( NE ) ridge on the way down.
5hrs15 @ 142bpm - ouch ! :confused3:
Far harder than i expected, got down to car at 7:10pm. No sign of the fitness I've tried to build up over the lat 8 months. Useful training for the Lakes, but let's hope it's better when I get there.
Greg
Social outcast

#2676 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Greg »

I’ve done that walk although I think I went a little further. Gobsmacking that you can’t move for people on Snowden, but do some of the satellites and you see no-one. Have you noticed how the walking paths are becoming difficult to distinguish because of lack of use on these lesser peaks? A great shame or maybe a bonus for the environment. Who knows.....
Greg
Social outcast

#2677 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Greg »

Got a place to stay in Anglesey for a week on Friday. Will do the limited Anglesey things but expect the rest of the time we’ll be in Snowdonia which we love.
Ray P

#2678 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:33 pm Nice scenery in the background there, Ray !
but rather spoiled in the last picture!
Ray P

#2679 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I've now done a good few rides/miles on the new wheels equipped with the tubeless tyres - really impressed with the improvement in ride the tubeless tyres have brought and after two weeks or so still haven't had to top them up.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2680 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Greg wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:19 pm Have you noticed how the walking paths are becoming difficult to distinguish because of lack of use on these lesser peaks?
Not so obvious on Siabod since a good part of it is stony tracks or hewn into the rock - however on the summit ridge between the rocky sections it seemed a little fainter. On the Clwydians there was some re-growth before things opened=up again. In the Lakes it may be a different matter - will report back in a couple of weeks !
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2681 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:34 pm .....On the Clwydians there was some re-growth before things opened=up again.
Ooooo Matron!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2682 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

computer-icons-facepalm-emoticon-share-icon-smiley-png-clip-art.png
ed
retired

#2683 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

for the second time this week I've abandoned my early morning ride.....
yesterday it started raining so I immediately headed for home. This morning it was too cold, I've never come to terms with that pain in the lungs when you're breathing very cold air...Some folks don't mind, but I really don't like it.

The reason for the post.......I have a chum(tough biker type) who maintains you shouldn't go out if the temperature is below 8 degrees as it's not good for the muscles...has anybody else heard this, or have an opinion?

Oh...also....For the last week I've been heading out at 7 instead of 6 as it's dark at 6 now. There is oodles more traffic(obvious really) but the air is noticeably more smelly.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2684 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

ed wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:42 pm The reason for the post.......I have a chum(tough biker type) who maintains you shouldn't go out if the temperature is below 8 degrees as it's not good for the muscles...has anybody else heard this, or have an opinion?
I just can't see that being true. For instance most mountain runners in the UK would never be able to train or make progress in that case. Bradley Wiggins, before his TdF victory in 2012, did about 8 weeks of training in Lancashire, starting at the end of November, going up from 18hrs/week to 30hrs/week. Seemed like a very good basis for what came after.
Ray P

#2685 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:01 pm
ed wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:42 pm The reason for the post.......I have a chum(tough biker type) who maintains you shouldn't go out if the temperature is below 8 degrees as it's not good for the muscles...has anybody else heard this, or have an opinion?
I just can't see that being true...
I concur with Mark, it sounds like nonsense to me. I rode all last winter - the trick is to dress appropriately. The only aspect of winter weather that deters me is ice.