The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2281 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Got out for an hour on the bike this afternoon. Bit windy, sun was out at the start but got ambushed by a cold shower in the last 2 miles. Not uncharacteristic of March, though. Felt good to get going again. Typical of cyclists, I was undeterred by a 'Road Closed' sign , and went down to the expected trouble at a small hump-backed bridge that I found closed 3 weeks ago when we had the big floods. It took a bit of walking and some clambering over concrete blocks and around JCB's to get through - luckily the bridge was actually still spanning the river.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2282 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:23 pm...I was undeterred by a 'Road Closed' sign...
You rebel, you!

Glad you're back on it though.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2283 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

^^^ Mark probably needs 'amounting bike' I think they're called, you can get them from Lidl and Halfords I think. Perfect for that sort of terrain, easily spotted as they have knobbly tyres, garish paintwork, suspension on everything (including the bell) and weight about 12 tons :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2284 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I've heard about those, but it would cramp my style in the 'hurtling phases' which come shortly before, on the main road down to Llanrhaedr , and again on the way back from Llandyrnog.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2285 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

I am still doing regular 50km rides, but just too many to post all the time...

When I move up to regular 100km ones, or something different, I'll post those...

Daughter is doing her first London marathon this year (if it goes ahead) - she ran 38km in 3 hours yesterday...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2286 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

That's a bloody good effort.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2287 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:56 pm That's a bloody good effort.
She's pretty fit - was junior international at judo and rugby... contact sports ended by shoulder injury & consequential surgery, so now runs... Hates cycling, so is only one of our kids not doing Vatternrunden with us. London (hopefully) will be her first full marathon - done lots of halves...

Vatternrunden may not happen too of course... All in the lap of the gods (or the Swedish organisers/government).

#2 son cycled 102km in 3 hours exactly on Saturday... 209W average power... He is 25 but very fit (and 20kg lighter than me), so I kinda suspect he'll be (a very long way) ahead of me in the Vatternrunden...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P

#2288 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

The winter weather is taking a toll! My winter bike developed some play in the rear wheel so I took it in for some maintenance today - the freehub (dont trouble yourself about it Mr B) was completely shagged. Bike's a lot better to ride now its had some TLC and I've got some mudguards again.
Ray P

#2289 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Time for a new bike!

IMy 'everyday' training bike is the white Specialized Sirus, which started off as a straight bat hybrid. As I developed my riding I've been finding it a bit too high at the front and the overall geometry a bit too relaxed so I've been looking to change it. I've just picked up a new carbon road frame in the Planet X sale onto which I can swap all the parts from the Sirus and get the better ride that I'm lookng for. Got it for £360!

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRVIMITDI ... -frame-set

Pretty eh!

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2290 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:51 pm .....the freehub (dont trouble yourself about it Mr B)
Hot dang! I was just about to n'all ! :)

Bellamy (my resurrected heavy old clunker of a bike found dumped in a bush) is showing signs of needing attention, the olde worlde cup n cone BB has a 'surprising amount of play' in it. He gets used on the arduous daily commute and is the go-to popping down the shops/town/pub bike and has had no attention for the last 3 years, just doing his job.
Ray P

#2291 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

It was warm, sunny and I felt good when I headed out for my solo exercise this afternoon so I pushed myself - chuffed with the results;

Departed: Mar 24, '20, 02:59PM
Starts in: Taunton Deane, England, GB
Distance: 25.4 mi
Elevation: + 1444 / - 1435 ft
Max Grade: 8.6 %
VAM: 547 Vm/h
Moving Time: 01:24:26
Calories: 1023
Avg. Watts: 202
Max Speed: 35.2 mph
Avg. Speed: 18.1 mph
Moving Pace: 00:03:19
Max Heartrate: 144 bpm
Min Heartrate: 66 bpm
Avg. Heartrate: 123.8 bpm

Avg Watts & HR both a good margin higher than my typical ride. Safe and social distancing was maintained by all except a dickhead boy racer!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2292 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

If the train companies scale down their service anymore I might have to start cycling in again. It's a bit further away too than the Holborn Labs.

Erks.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2293 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Been out on the bike this afternoon. Slow ride around the lanes, an hour & 40mins. Took the Canon camera in a rucksack with new 50mm Zeiss lens received this morning. Light was fab.
Fell off while looking at a potential picture, due to poor track-stand skills. Bruised knee but seems OK.
Ray P

#2294 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:01 pm Been out on the bike this afternoon. Slow ride around the lanes, an hour & 40mins. Took the Canon camera in a rucksack with new 50mm Zeiss lens received this morning. Light was fab.
Fell off while looking at a potential picture, due to poor track-stand skills. Bruised knee but seems OK.
Track stands are over-rated Mark - just put your foot down. Was it worth the risk of trying it, both from the point of damage to you and/or the expensive camera, especially in the curent situation if you'd had to call for someone to pick you up off the ground!

Been out again this afternoon, sticking to local quiet roads. Hard work with the windy conditions. Working from home takes away the physical aspects of working in the office, little things like going to discuss something with a colleague, and I'm not doing the daily commute ride so a late afternoon is a good antidote to becoming physically inert.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2295 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Ray P wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:50 pm Track stands are over-rated Mark - just put your foot down. Was it worth the risk of trying it, both from the point of damage to you and/or the expensive camera, especially in the curent situation if you'd had to call for someone to pick you up off the ground!
I think you take things too literally Ray, I tend to write in a way which is slightly tongue in cheek most of the time.
I slowed down almost to a stop in 30x19 while wending my way up a hill, saw this potential shot, then found I was stopped and the left Look pedal is a bit stiff on the release owing to mud from some light cyclo-cross getting around a closed road a couple of weeks ago. I knew it was too late & I had to just go down, the knee has a bash but nothing that will stop me doing anything, and nothing else is hurt, even my elbow is fine.