The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1831 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:49 pm
jack wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:31 pm Whizzo chainset...
Is that the one Dennis the menace used ?
Nah. Molesworth.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1832 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Picked up new bike this afternoon, had last adjustments made, and cycled to Charing cross.

Forgot how batshit crazy cycling in London is...

Cycled home from local station. Couple of decent hills. Panting hard, but didn't stop. Incredibly smooth compared with old t'bike - just whizzes along.... Came with it's own lightweight tools, including a preset mini torque wrench !

I'm soooooooo unfit. 30 miler tomorrow (goudhurst to smarden and back). Some nice sharp hills but a lot of flat. See how this baby goes...

What apps are you guys using for tracking?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1833 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

I read thats as Goudhurst to Charing Cross... :shock:

I use a Garmin Edge Touring Cycle GPS thingy to record rides, but the uploaded data comes from 'Ride with GPS' -> https://ridewithgps.com/

BTW, Cycling in London can be ace. Using the TFL route planner on Cycle setting can save you from the bonkers roads.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1834 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:04 pm What apps are you guys using for tracking?
I use my smartphone running either RidewithGPS or Strava for recording my rides. If I want navigation its RidewithGPS as I use that website for route planning. I've been drifting towards using Strave simply because there's a bunch of cyclists at work that are set up as a 'club' - we could have an Audio-Talk club on Strava.

Note though that if you have the screen on all the time, either tracking or navigating, your battery will take a hit (for long rides I carry a small USB charging cell and top up when I top up). Sometimes if I just want to record a ride I'll just turn off the display and pop the phone in my back pocket but other times and specifically when in navigating mode I clip the phone to my bars or stem and use 'handlebar' mode so the screen autoblanks until you need to know information, such as when you're approaching a turning. If you want to mount a smartphone on your bars I recommend 'Quad Lock' mounts; they're not the cheapest but they work really well.

As my smartphone screen is often blank or in my pcket I also have a small Cateye GPS-equipped computer on my bars that is always on; it gives me basic information, such as speed and distance but also records rides so I have a back up if I have a problem with the phone (I've only had it use the backup once though IIRC)

Anyway enjoy the new bike.

With the improved weather this week I've started riding my new one on some short loops to shake it down - first problem was when I found I hadn't torqued up the seat pin clamp sufficiently! I've got my position well sorted and comfortable apart from needing some small adjustments to the cleats. I've been using SPD 'touring cleats' but for the new bike I'm trying Shimano road pedals but they have less float so I'm needing to make very small adjustments to zone in on the sweet spot - this is entirely empirical and about feeling 'right' rather than extracting every last watt of power from my tired old legs.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#1835 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Apart from the daily commute ride (about 7miles) my cycling has been gym based so far this week as I've not been finishing work early enough to do any miles in the daylight. I've done three 10mile spin bike rides averaging around 240Watts/23.1mph.

It's a grey and breezy morning down here but I'll head out for a 20miler just after 8:00 and then back to work on my 13E1 project.
Ray P

#1836 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

It's funny how you can sometimes feel a little tired and then turn in a good time; that's what happened this morning;

Departed: Feb 16, '19, 09:04AM
Starts in: Taunton Deane, England, GB
Distance: 20.5 mi
Elevation: + 1049 / - 1040 ft
Max Grade: 7.1 %
VAM: 476 Vm/h
Moving Time: 01:11:30
Calories: 954
Avg. Watts: 222
Max Speed: 31.5 mph
Avg. Speed: 17.2 mph
Moving Pace: 00:03:30
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1837 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

I did nearly 4 miles today.

Dirtfud town centre and back.

Phew! Whattaride!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1838 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

4 miles! Awesomeness!

Can't go out today - SWMBO doing a tough half-marathon so I'm off to AudioJumble....

Tomorrow, hopefully...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1839 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

First (short) ride out... First bit very slow as was with SWMBO and she had bad DOMS as did the very hilly TW half marathon on Sunday. She turned back and I went on. Very happy to hit 50 km/h and average 20 (including the slow first few km) (30-37 on the flats) as route has some sharp hills. 250mts of climb. I should be averaging 30 around here...

Bike is a BEAST! 62cm frame and lively to ride... but...

...I'm really really unfit... 🙄
Screenshot_20190219-161832.png
Ray P

#1840 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Good stuff Nick.

You've got enough riders for a SE Audio-Talk club run - maybe I'll get the train over and join you.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1841 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:54 pm Good stuff Nick.

You've got enough riders for a SE Audio-Talk club run - maybe I'll get the train over and join you.
Thanks! Sounds like a plan. I'm away the next few weeks (hiking in Jordan) but back mid March. I'm not very fit - so frustrating as this time last year I was the fittest I've been for twenty years... But a series of injuries and ops on both eyes slowed me and the condition just rolled off.

I damaged my right knee diving in Oman last November and it's still not right - ok for cycling but something is deffo out of kilter, so am having a scan on my return. I hope that it's not more surgery, even keyhole, as I'll be unable to cycle for yet another few weeks.

Getting older is f*cking annoying...
steve s
Shed dweller

#1842 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by steve s »

jack wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:10 pm

Getting older is f*cking annoying...
Too true Nick I'm surprised how long it takes to regain the fitness you think you always had...
I spent my working life driving quite high mileages. I had a spell cycling to work when I was twenty but since just the odd couple of miles. I've always kept a bike though..
Last year on holiday ( with the bikes hung on the back of the motorhome) was the 1st time we have cycled as a means of transport, we had a couple of 18 mile days but hill climbing was a real struggle. I remember one day just outside Lourdes in France pushing our bikes up what we thought was too steep to ride when a group what looked like 70 year olds went flying past us.. that stuck with me, when we got back within weeks we joined the local gym and have been at the spinning classes 3 times a week since.
Hopefully next year we will be riding up the hills..(mountains ??)

It's much easier to own a bike than to ride it.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1843 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

steve s wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:28 am
It's much easier to own a bike than to ride it.
Oh so true. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ray P

#1844 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

pre65 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:52 am Oh so true. :)
Yes, I seem to remember you posting about your bike a while ago Phil. I think you might have even been up the road on it?
Ray P

#1845 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I've committed to two charity rides this year.

In May I'm riding the Air Ambulance Coast to Coast again, 55 miles from Watchet to West Bay. I really enjoyed it when I took part in 2017.

On July 8th I'm organising a charity ride under the auspices of my workplace's adopted charity for 2019, Mind. It'll be a 120mile tour of Somerset - any of the Audio Talk cycling fraternity will be welcome to join us.