I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#346 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

I was following the 2:30 pacemakers and just pulled away from them at the end.
Screenshot_20180408-202945-432x768.png
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#347 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've finally seen the episode where Jack & the brick come together. Amazing!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#348 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

So, am back down to 99 Kg but a lot fitter.

Currently swimming 1.6 Km (1 mile) every morning at 6-7AM - we have a 40 mtr pool in the complex, so 40 lengths is a mile (64 lengths of a 25 mtr pool). Mix of exercises (sets of Pull-buoy, legs only, flippers, crawl, breast-stroke, breathing pattern changes etc.).

At the weekends (Fri/Sat) I am now managing 1.5 miles/2.4 Km/60 lengths (96 lengths of a 25 mtr pool). By this time next month, I will be doing 1.5 miles a day and 2 miles plus each day at the weekends.

Every Tuesday & Friday I have a 05:30 1-to-1 coaching session - get up at 04:30 to be there on time (it's a 30 minute drive away) - coaching sessions are about technique, not stamina, so we only do maybe 1.4 km during that hour.

Long distance swimming is hugely about efficiency - little things make a huge difference, like really relaxing, subtle angle changes of hands, body rotation, everything is taken back to first principles and rebuilt.

Gym is now only twice a week in the evenings - 5 km run at 10km/h and then 1 hour of weights, mostly aimed at building up my chest muscles for swimming, e.g. lateral-pull-down & fly-press etc.

Absolutely knackered. But reasonably fit.

Just under 2 months until the big day.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#349 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by Dave the bass »

jack wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:22 am

.....ah! So you're doing all this so you can fit into that swanky posh wedding dress yeah!? 😊
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#350 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

Dave the bass wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:00 am
jack wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:22 am

.....ah! So you're doing all this so you can fit into that swanky posh wedding dress yeah!? 😊
Budgie smugglers.

Not a pretty sight... :)

However, neatly segwaying into the sight thing, I've just bought some Swan prescription swim goggles - Really high quality and designed for open water swimming.

A complete revelation! In a pool, being blind as a bat doesn't really matter as there's a big white line on the bottom of the pool and the end is only 40 or 50 mtrs away.

In the open sea, it's a bit different - getting hopelessly lost is easy. You send your prescription off (on their website) and 2 days & 35 quid later you get a set of prescription goggles. Less than twice the price of a normal high quality set of goggles, e.g. Zoggs or Speedos etc.

Amazing! After years of basically not having a clue what was going on around me, I can now see really well when swimming.
ed
retired

#351 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by ed »

thanks Nick, you've cheered me up today.
Went for my annual diabetes check at the end of march, for the practise nurse to give me the usual lecture....
It turns out I'd been behaving myself but the weight was an issue at 97kg

yours truly promises a change of life and we parted good friends...

well....I was monitoring on a daily basis but I've cut back to once a week

at present 91.5kg bp 128/74.....

my big day is end of August next year and I have 4 hardly-warn expensive suits in the wardrobe, not seen the light of day since 2007...
I'm feeling confident
must get some goggles for the pool though, my eyes are starting to sting a bit.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#352 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

Time for this thread to reawaken!

I'm up at 103 again 😟😱
Ant
Shed dweller

#353 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by Ant »

Well I'm not a fat bastard, but, as part of the carers plan I have with the local authority for being a designated carer for my wife, I've been provided with some funds that are specifically for my health.
So today I've been and got a huawei band 3 pro fitbit thingy that links to an app on my phone and tracks all sorts of things and stuff.
It does heart rate, distance run/cycled/swam via GPS tracking, treadmill running distance, steps, weight, I think that it has to be filled in manually on the app and also gives interval training, 5k, 10k, half marathon and marathon training and tracking too.
It does a load of things I haven't looked at yet.
I've also been and got some new clothing to replace the extremely tatty old stuff I've been using for the last 10 years. In fact there's a pair of shorts that I had when I was at school...... Time to throw them out after 20 years I think.
I also got a pair of running gloves for the first time, I always get home with raw hands and always forget to put gloves on when I go running, perhaps I'll remember if they are with the rest of the running stuff.
I have started to feel unfit for the first time in a long time.
That needs to change
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#354 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by Ray P »

Ant wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:12 pm So today I've been and got a huawei band 3 pro fitbit thingy that links to an app on my phone and tracks all sorts of things and stuff.
It does heart rate, distance run/cycled/swam via GPS tracking, treadmill running distance, steps, weight, I think that it has to be filled in manually on the app and also gives interval training, 5k, 10k, half marathon and marathon training and tracking too.
It does a load of things I haven't looked at yet.
I've been using a Samsung smart watch, which does similar things, for over a year now and it certainly works well to remind and motivate me - mine interfaces to Samsumg Health on my smartphone and that app also interfaces to Strava (for full cycling and rowing machine data) and to MyFitnessPal for food data. Spend a little time working it out and you can get a good daily summary. Upshot is that I maintain my weight at about 75Kg.

Of course, the downside of getting a Huawei device is that the Chinese state will be able to take control of you. :lol:
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#355 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

I use a Garmin Vivoactive watch. Looks cool and does everything I need - bought it for the Bosphorus swim training and now it's my daily wearer... Main thing is it integrates with Strava, as in "if it's not on Strava it didn't happen"😀
rowuk
Old Hand

#356 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by rowuk »

Due to diabetes, I needed to lose weight and limit carbs. I stopped eating bread, rice, potatoes and corn and sweets - just ate more meat and vegetables. I stopped eating crisps - replaced them with nuts. Replaced beer with wine. Now, 1 year later I am 10 KG lighter, I have reduced insulin by 50% and have a lot more energy to get stuff done.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#357 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:33 pm
Of course, the downside of getting a Huawei device is that the Chinese state will be able to take control of you. :lol:
Taunton was first on the takeover list. :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ant
Shed dweller

#358 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by Ant »

Oh well :mrgreen:
I chose it based on the GPS performance which according to the reviews gives very accurate results and as its 5k and 8 k runs I do that's the bit I was looking at.
I need to do a couple of 5k runs to see where I'm at before I start to extend up to my 8k route and then extend up to 10k.
It's more about feeling better in myself than anything, and getting some time out. Everyone needs some time out once in a while
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#359 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by Paul Barker »

rowuk wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:09 pm Due to diabetes, I needed to lose weight and limit carbs. I stopped eating bread, rice, potatoes and corn and sweets - just ate more meat and vegetables. I stopped eating crisps - replaced them with nuts. Replaced beer with wine. Now, 1 year later I am 10 KG lighter, I have reduced insulin by 50% and have a lot more energy to get stuff done.
Great that’s a big weight loss, happy you’ve gained life changing responses from you’re body system’s.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#360 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by Ray P »

pre65 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:16 pm Taunton was first on the takeover list. :lol: :lol:
Nah! I think their ambitions start well beyond Taunton...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!