I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#301 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by IslandPink »

I was taken aback by your extravagant milage there Andrew. Each time I have pushed myself very hard like that I have had to pay for it.
I also have a theory that wine drinking ( red ) is a fix for low stomach acid.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
DSJR
User

#302 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by DSJR »

Can't be light hearted about this thread - sorry chaps... I was put on yet another T2 Diabetes drug a few months ago as the blood sugar was going up again :( This one works with the kidneys to remove excess blood-sugar through the urine and almost overnight I lost a stone in weight. Not good enough though as twenty five years ago when single, I ate healthily, got down to below eleven stone and was still able to have marmalade, genoa cake, chocolate as a treat and alcohol at weekends! Getting married threw all that out the window and in recent times and with all this hypertension and Diabetes medication, I went up to over thirteen and a half stone :( :oops: Not sure I can starve myself to lose the extra stone and a half though and if I did I'd be worrying it was something else causing the weight loss :-x
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#303 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I 5 10 and 11 stone , the only thing is to get this enviable weight I had to have a stroke .

on the settee I look the best ive looked in yers , pity the wheelchair spoils it .
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#304 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

At worst about 10 years ago 14.5 stone, now 13 stone. The irritation is where the fat is, it is so variable in people especially men to women. Most women on the legs and arse, most men on the belly, chest and neck
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#305 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

Actually, in men, it's the visceral (as opposed to subcutaneous) fat that's most dangerous - men tend to store fat internally round the organs, women store it on the thighs & arse.

I had my visceral fat measured (along with a 100 other things) yesterday - that's what I'm concentrating on reducing...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#306 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

Coming up to the end of week 3 of 10.

Have lost 4kg (where did it go). Another 6 to go.

Have given up ALL dairy, caffeine and nearly all carbs. NO bread/grains/pasta/rice/milk/butter/yogurt/mayo/ketchup/... etc. Been really strict - no "little treats". Lots of protein (chicken/steak) & veg (microwaved & very fresh). red berries, nuts & selected fruit (have a banana before each workout). Taking some multi-vitamins and fibre tablets... Diet is essentially "paleo" (though I think that concept is, excuse the pun, slightly nuts).

Going to the gym twice a day (6AM & 8PM) every day - rowing 35,000 mtrs/week (decent pace - now on 1:52 splits with load on max), swimming about 1km every other day (25 lengths of the pool here - sometimes do 40 lengths which is a mile) - doing weights too. Every Wednesday on the cycle track doing laps (temperature & humidity is dropping, so not bad now - about 28C in the evenings). Helps having a gym & pool in my apartment building.

Fucking miserable, but sleeping better & a lot trimmer & fitter.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#307 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by IslandPink »

It's just astonishing - amazed you could cope with all of this.
I'm surprised you can sleep well, having given up all dairy ... where are you getting the calcium from ? I tried this a couple of time years ago, but my sleep went to pot straight away.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#308 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:55 pm It's just astonishing - amazed you could cope with all of this.
I'm surprised you can sleep well, having given up all dairy ... where are you getting the calcium from ? I tried this a couple of time years ago, but my sleep went to pot straight away.
I have to take supplements at the moment. Lack of carbs is tiring with the gym work - ketosis means not a lot of energy available, so towards the end of the rowing sprints my legs are dead but they recover really quickly.

Calcium is an issue as dairy is the best source -broccoli and sardines help.

I've done this before - it has to be managed carefully...
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#309 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by Ray P »

Impressive programme Nick!

For myself, after being laid up for three weeks I'm just about recovered enough to venture into the gym and start rebuilding; I'll start with some gentle sessions on a spin bike to get movement fully restored and slowly strengthen the damaged muscles.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#310 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

The gym here is slightly crazy - it's big, just been completely refurbished with all new kit etc. Steam rooms & sauna rebuilt - all new showers & changing rooms - lovely... but NOONE THERE! When I use it, sometimes I'm the only one, sometimes one or two others in a gym the size of a big tennis court.

The pool is nice - 40mtrs - biggest of any apartment building in Dubai (one of the reasons I stay here) - 2 lanes just for lengths, but again, almost never anyone else using them. Gym & pool use included with the apartment, so get up at 05:45, nip down in the lift to the gym and back by 7 to have brekkie & get ready before walking to work (about 1 mile).

Pool was shut for 3 months this summer - its outside, on top of the car park block for our building, but it was leaking into the top floor of the car park - the leak was getting steadily worse and they were worried the whole lot was going to collapse into the car park... hence the emergency closure :)

Completrely stripped, relined & re-tiled it - new funky underwater LED lighting too, which makes swimming at night slightly trippy...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#311 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:55 pm ...where are you getting the calcium from ? ...
So, I asked this question of the nutritionist who is looking after us - she said to use almond milk - it's non-dairy and fortified with calcium & vitamin D.

I'm giving it a go - bit of a pain as I'm not eating any grains, so no cereal, and no caffeine, so no tea & coffee etc., but I'll try making smoothies with blueberries & other red fruit etc.

It's also expensive. Interestingly, it seems that almond milk now outsells (by volume) Soya milk pretty much everywhere (well, in the UK & US).

Weight seems to have stabilised around the 100.5kg mark - my gut has almost completely gone and rowing times coming down nicely (splits now around 1:51 over 2,000 mts), plus weights now going up - flexibility better and no more back pain.

Just got a swimming coach - I can happily swim a mile breaststroke, but my crawl is pathetic, so on a mission to sort that - I just don't get the breathing right. So, one day a week I'm up at 3:45 and in the main Olympic-sized pool here by 4:30 for an hours intensive 1:1. I want this sorted by Christmas.

I have a plan for next year that involves swimming a long distance in open water (the sea, and I HATE swimming in the sea). No, it's not the obvious swim...

Just over 3 weeks in - 7 to go :(
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#312 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

So, this morning I went for my first full-on 1-1 swim training session in the olympic (50m) pool here. 5:30 AM. Intense stuff, full-on for an hour and I'm knackered but feeling good.

Today and tomorrow we are hiking in the Norther Hajar mountains on the border between Ras Al-Khaimah (RAK) and Musandam (an odd bit of Northern Oman that is very mountainous and separated from the main bit of the country).

A description of the walk route (in French) is here http://climbing7.com/2014/03/29/leopard-canyon/

Start point is at https://goo.gl/maps/XcThw5quhYU2 and goes up the wadi to the NE, then bears E for a bit before heading NE again and crossing into Oman on the high plateau. Just as you cross the boarder is the top of Leopard Canyon.

It's an 8-hour hike and a 2 hour drive to get there.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#313 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by Paul Barker »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:55 pm If I were you, Steve, I'd call that a result.

What's your blood pressure like Paul?

S's a funny thing about high dairy fats.
Better than a healthy person my age, was told not to return to the well man clinic for 10 years as my bmi and bp and colesterol all perfect. Not saying it to brag.

By the way I dont eat dairy or grains. There is a lot I dont eat that other folk think are healthy choice. The world of what we eat is an explosion of forces tugging us and other forses telling us thats all harmful.

The one thing that conscerns me aboutwhat I eat is the oxcillates, because to gte the great health I have proven bytests, is largely due to the huge amountof greens I consume compared to everyone else I even watch eat.

Yes its become a given thtaI am on the autistic spectrum, and oops, now a tug abiut food has proclaimed greens (oxcilates) cause autism.

Ho hum.

Anyway at present, after a near breakdown, decided to be content with my autism and eat the greens which are doing me so much benefit in so mnay otherareas.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#314 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by Paul Barker »

Paul Barker wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:54 am
andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:55 pm If I were you, Steve, I'd call that a result.

What's your blood pressure like Paul?

S's a funny thing about high dairy fats.
Better than a healthy person my age, was told not to return to the well man clinic for 10 years as my bmi and bp and colesterol all perfect. Not saying it to brag.

By the way I dont eat dairy or grains. There is a lot I dont eat that other folk think are healthy choice. The world of what we eat is an explosion of forces tugging us and other forses telling us thats all harmful.

The one thing that conscerns me aboutwhat I eat is the oxcillates, because to gte the great health I have proven bytests, is largely due to the huge amountof greens I consume compared to everyone else I even watch eat.

Yes its become a given thtaI am on the autistic spectrum, and oops, now a tug abiut food has proclaimed greens (oxcilates) cause autism.

Ho hum.

Anyway at present, after a near breakdown, decided to be content with my autism and eat the greens which are doing me so much benefit in so mnay otherareas.
Autism (well mine at least) is only a problem to people without it. They can jog on!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
shane
Social outcast

#315 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by shane »

Interesting program by Chris Packham last week about his autism. Ends up with roughly the same conclusion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/progin ... ers-and-me
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.