I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#331 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by IslandPink »

Good effort (2) Nick, especially after that back strain you had ( or whatever ) recently.

I've been up in the Lake District, last week. Stayed at a place in Matterdale End, on the road between the A66 and Ullswater - except that it was up a half mile of road with 1:7 gradients and hairpin bends, from the main road. Hence I was snowed-in on Tuesday - which was what I wanted- ideal. Been looking for a nice wintry week in t'Lakes for over 15 years.
I managed three more Wainwrights - small to middling ones, just one per walk - filling in some gaps in my coverage. Hills were Pikewassa (Steel Knotts) , Hen Comb and Raven Crag ( Thirlmere ). The last one done in 2-3 inches of snow all the way. Fun without crampons - but only short sections of difficulty. Views were great, and plenty of other photo opportunities particularly towards sunset near the A66. Took a lot of (old-school) slides on the Leica and a few big shots on the Fuji GW690.
My progress uphill was glacial , after recent stresses and health problems, but the legs were working quite well downhill after a few short training walks on the Clwydian hills.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#332 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by pre65 »

IslandPink wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:18 pm
and a few big shots on the Fuji GW690.
That's a camera I'd never heard of Mark. Just been reading up on what it is.

Don't think I'd get on with it but it seems (in the right hands) to be capable of superb results.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#333 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by IslandPink »

It has been called the 'Texas Leica' !
I do love the 6x9 cm film format. Not nearly as much hassle as sheet film ( 5x4" or 8 x 10" ) ; you get 8 shots on a roll, and the quality is equivalent to about 60-80 MPix which is enough for super-sharp 20" x 16" exhibition prints.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#334 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

Not cycling ATM, but doing a lot of swimming and running (another half marathon in a couple of weeks). Swam 1km crawl on Friday's (knackering) session - for me that's almost an impossibility. I can swim maybe 4 or 5km using breast stroke, but crawl has always been my bête noire - could never get the breathing right. With the big swim only 4 months away, I need to crack on.

Eating sensibly but still having treats, weight slowly dropping and now at 98kg.

Had to have full medical for the swim, including ECG and full bloods - all clear, thankfully, except low vitamin d (normal out here - most folk take supplements)

Got a new toy for weekend use (!) which is great fun!
IMG-20180324-WA0004.jpg
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
shane
Social outcast

#335 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by shane »

I thought vitamin D was produced by the action of sunlight on the skin? You’re not getting out enough!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ant
Shed dweller

#336 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by Ant »

For the first time in my life I an starting to put on weight.
Ive been about the same size for the past 15 years, but now am seeing weight increase and to be honest, am starting to feel abit crap for it.
And am quite unfit compared to this time last year.

Started running again this week, on my old 5k route.
Took 33.24 first time out which is just crap. It has dropped on the second and third runs (every 2 days)
To 31.44 then 30.54. Which is still crap, but better.

Running aint much use for weight loss unless its done as interval training, doing sprints then partial recovery so the heart rate increases quickly and drops back, but i want to get myself back into running first and build up some endurance before I start on sprints. Last thing I want is to pull something by not easing back into it properly.

Need to start watching what i eat too, gone are the days that I could eat any old crap and burn it off. Its crept up over the last 6 months....
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#337 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

shane wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:19 pm I thought vitamin D was produced by the action of sunlight on the skin? You’re not getting out enough!
Very few people here do. The sun is soooo strong that for at least 6 months if the year folk rarely go outside much during the day and if they do, they use factor 30 or 50 sunscreen.

Vitamin D deficiency is very common here, especially in children.

incidentally, whilst camping in the desert this weekend, we had a camel spider in the camp. Our one was obout 5 inches end-to-end and ran really quickly. Although they are classed as Arachnids, they're not spiders - they have their own group. (all spiders are Arachnids; not all Arachnids are spiders).
camel-spider-bite-size1.jpg
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#338 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Cute...and I'm not talking about the syllogism;----)
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
shane
Social outcast

#339 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by shane »

If that came into my tent I’d be out in the sunshine PDQ!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#340 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

shane wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:08 am If that came into my tent I’d be out in the sunshine PDQ!
Yep - they like shade, but have no sting and generally avoid humans - if they follow you, it's because they want to be in your shadow...

However, they do look like your worst nightmare. They really do. Initially I thought it was a scorpion, but it turns out that these beauties eat scorpions, so technically are really your friends.

You are correct in that no-one wants one in their tent - you have to keep your tent zipped up and keep all shoes etc. inside at night - always check your shoes before putting them on in case something has decided to hide in there...

So, yes, if one was inside your tent, most people would run outside... but then you'd be running into a world of scorpions, horned vipers, Arabian Cobras and Saw Scaled Vipers, plus the Australian red-back spider that is now pretty common over here.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#341 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

Second half- marathon (UK, Paddock Wood), grim weather - cold, grey and drizzly. Managed 2:28:22 which is a full 22 seconds faster than last time.
IMG-20180408-WA0005.jpg
ed
retired

#342 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by ed »

you can do anything, but lay offa my blue suede shoes.....

respect though!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#343 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by IslandPink »

Good effort !
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#344 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by jack »

Thanks chaps. Split the sums raised equally between Hospice in the Weald and Alzheimer's Research UK.

Over GBP 2,500 so far...
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#345 Re: I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Post by Dave the bass »

What they all said except the Blue Swayed Shoes bit!

Well done NdS.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"