Royal mail parcel prices.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Royal mail parcel prices.

Post by pre65 »

From the BBC web site.

"Charges for posting some parcels are going up, as a result of new size criteria. introduced by the Royal Mail.

Until now, parcels have been accepted on the basis of weight only. But from 2 April - post offices are closed on 1 April - parcels will be designated as small, medium or large. They will also continue to be weighed.

Over the past year, a parcel of up to 2kg cost £5.30 to post.

If it now qualifies as a medium parcel, the price will rise to £8.00.

Some parcels will be more expensive to post
A small parcel can be no bigger than 45cm x 35cm x 8cm. In other words, about the size of a cereal box.

This is deemed by the Royal Mail as a size that can be delivered relatively easily by a postman. However there are exceptions for some cube or tube shapes, which may still qualify as small.

Other charges will go down. A parcel that weighs between 751g and 1 kilo used to cost £4.30 to deliver, but will now cost £3.

The Royal Mail says the changes are necessary to reflect the true costs of delivery, especially larger, lighter items, which often need to be delivered by van."
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

If we're having a whinge, then according to our local rag sometime in the last week or two, both Basildon and Laindon post offices will be closed "as no longer cost effective."

Last time I ws in the Basildon one, which has been a while as I stopped going to it, because it was so busy they stopped using queues as such, instead you got like a raffle ticket out of a machine then waited for your number to be called.

This apparently is part of a nationwide purge on P.O. branches to cut costs. Instead a P.O. counter will be integrated into a local shop.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I got caught out by this new ruling this morning. A small jiffy bag envelope that would previously been accepted as a letter was deemed a small parcel. Cost me £3.00 to send.
In future I'll send all my stuff using Interparcel web service. The Royal Mail is too expensive now.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

I normally get competitive quotes through http://www.parcel2go.com/

Works pretty well for me.

Having said that, CityLink who were supposed to pick up a package of LARGE CAPACITORS from our house yesterday, failed to show up - no email, card, phone call... nada. I have sent a complaint (their complaints form crashed when trying to "submit"!).
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I will give a positive vote for Parcel to go as well.

City link have always done me proud, but I have read so many reports of poor performance over the years.

I think they all (couriers) are only as good as the weakest link which is usually the delivery/collection driver. Some of them are just shamefully (and unacceptably) non caring morons. Pay peanuts and get monkeys springs to mind. :(

Edmund Burke

Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Well I have only ever used City Link once for delivery of a FH3 flat pack kit.
The kit arrived in bits (some parts missing some damaged) with the wooden box I packaged the kit in smashed in one corner. Never got any satisfaction from them so won't use them again.

However, I have always had excellent service with UPS, which generally come out one of the cheapest using Interparcel.
Suppose it's as Phil says - down to the delivery/collection guy of the courier, but I reckon most damage is done at the depots not by the drivers.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

I once went to the city link depot to collect a parcel from ebuyer which was a computer monitor and memory there was about six of us waiting and one of the staff took all the delivery cards from us and disappeared into the back it took about 45minutes for him to return after us ringing the bell a few times he then came out and without asking gave my parcel to someone else until I protested as I could see what it was and my name on the box.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

Interparcel for me
I've sent a number of guitars using UPS, service is excellent and cheap, everything seems to arrive next day despite the service you select,
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I have found DPD to be my worst courier, but mainly down to the local driver who seems to be unable to read house names whilst driving by at 30 MPH.

You'd think they would develop a skill at that. :wink:

Last time I was expecting a parcel I saw him drive by, and ran out after him. Had to run about 1/4 mile before I caught him, and I was so out of breath I could hardly speak. :lol:

The first parcel I got via DPD I ended up going to the depot to collect, and ended up waiting about 20 mins. A 60 mile round trip because the dick head driver could not be bothered to look very hard on two different days. :evil: :evil:

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I've saved Interparcel as a favourite for future use. :)

Edmund Burke

david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

it's the Interparcel services that use UPS
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

david C wrote:Interparcel for me
I've sent a number of guitars using UPS, service is excellent and cheap, everything seems to arrive next day despite the service you select,
Yep, I have had good service from interparcel/UPS
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
peperoni
User

#13 DPD

Post by peperoni »

Have to say that I get about 2 deliveries a week and DPD are by far the best. You even get an email giving an hour slot when delivery will take place and he is always on time.

Nick
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: DPD

Post by pre65 »

peperoni wrote:Have to say that I get about 2 deliveries a week and DPD are by far the best. You even get an email giving an hour slot when delivery will take place and he is always on time.

Nick
It's probably a lot easier when houses are numbered. Most of my village have house names only.

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15 Re: DPD

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote:It's probably a lot easier when houses are numbered. Most of my village have house names only.
Aye. We live on a road that's 4 miles long and only has the occasional house, all named, often unsigned or not visible from the road...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt