blind testing

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 blind testing

Post by ed »

I'm in the process of putting a board together with an aikido front end..and a choice of output methodologys for comparison....the choices will be

mosfet pushpull
mosfet zen single ended
811(at about 500v)

would anybody be up for blind testing this??(perhaps at owston) or am I being just a bit too contentious???? :evil:
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
steve s
Shed dweller

#2 Re: blind testing

Post by steve s »

ed wrote:I'm in the process of putting a board together with an aikido front end..and a choice of output methodologys for comparison....the choices will be

mosfet pushpull
mosfet zen single ended
811(at about 500v)

would anybody be up for blind testing this??(perhaps at owston) or am I being just a bit too contentious???? :evil:
thats a good one Ed, its probally better to test at home first..
but i'm quite sure no one would mind...

and the resulution of the speakers used for the test come into play..

the thing is.. is it reallya judge of if one type of amp is better than another..although is may be taken that way..
its more is your 811 better than your mosfet amps...
i'm quite sure they will be close....
and opinions on what 'sound' is best come in to play...

but i'm up for it...
ed
retired

Post by ed »

thats a good one Ed, its probally better to test at home first..
but i'm quite sure no one would mind...
wow steve, you're not really suggesting I fire it up for the first time in public(like I did with the F2)..... :o

no I was just curious myself, having heard none of the amps in question yet...and I have a bee in my bonnet about this so called SS sound. I personally don't think such a thing exists and I'm on a mission to investigate whether it really does....

My theory goes that:- so far most of the high street transistor amps have been class B or AB since the sixties, and I believe that has a unique sound.......now if all the valve amps had been run in class B or AB since the sixties then there would not be the comparisons that exist today......and certainly the prejudiced view would be a little quieter.....If those of the very vocal anti SS brigade had heard some of these single ended class A offerings I'm sure they wouldn't be so vocal in their condemnation.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yes, I would be interested, I assume the goal is to see if the differences can be heard, not assigning a "better" tag to one of them.

As long as it doesn't involve me having to walk into a room blindfolded knowing that somewhere in there was a 1kv power supply :-)

That was when Paul and I compaired 212's and GM70's
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Nick wrote:Yes, I would be interested, I assume the goal is to see if the differences can be heard, not assigning a "better" tag to one of them.
That is precisely my point. Better, in my opinion is absolutely useless in a music situation. The biggest thing I can gain personally from a blind test would be if a number of people came up with different answers.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

[quote="wow steve, you're not really suggesting I fire it up for the first time in public(like I did with the F2)..... :o

.[/quote]

not at all, just an comparison session if you know what i mean

i always used to turn up a eggy with a new build..
the det25, and the one watter i used for a while, where both built the week before hand..
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

At least yours were built, I normally have to build them when I get there :-)

This time, there will be boxes I tell you, boxes, do you hear, boxes, bwahaha.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Erm, I getting a bit concerned about the ethos here chaps. Steve's going to try his amps beforehand, Nick's going to bring proper boxes, what next? I tells yer, it's only a short step to booking a hotel with lots of individual rooms and calling it a "show". :lol:

I might have to start a campaign for real mdf and clipleads if this continues. Keep it real brothers!
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I might have to start a campaign for real mdf and clipleads if this continues. Keep it real brothers!
Oh, go on then :-).
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

At last, some of the hardcore are thinking about aesthetics.......for now at least.

Must've been the sight of Colin's GM70 amps that shamed a few people. :wink:

I've got a few retro designs for the PP and the SE amp up my sleeve for Owston.

I'll be rebuilding the PP into another smaller chassis. I really need to exorcise the ghost of the OTL and ritually cleanse the workshop. Nothing against OTLs per se but I now shudder when I see one. I'd feel safer sat in the middle of Paul and Nick's 1600V GM70 experiment.

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

simon wrote: I might have to start a campaign for real mdf and clipleads if this continues. Keep it real brothers!
There will always be a home in my heart for clip leads and bits of ply/mdf and flooring.

Sigh.....

-- Andrew
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

There will always be a home in my heart for clip leads and bits of ply/mdf and flooring.
Ditto, but the place for that for me if I can manage it is my floor. The desire for boxes is more the case of practicality than asthetics, once I have put the speakers in the car, and then the turntable, then the turntable power supply, the the phono stage, then the phono stage power supply, the available space left for MDF is limited. Plus I spend most of the day rebuilding everything.

Colin suffered last Owlston, as I couldn't face changing the 300b amp back into a gm70 after a night on the beer, and its not just lazyness, so far I have been lucky and not made a mistake due to being knackered, but the odds are against me.
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

Ed,

If you're free at the end of Feb and fancy a drive westwards you could always bring them along to the WY gang gathering at my place.
The usual suspects will be there, along with a good selection of boxes, mdf & clip leads I would think.

One thing you can guarantee is that everyone will have an opinion. :wink:

Simon C
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote:
This time, there will be boxes I tell you, boxes, do you hear, boxes, bwahaha.
Nick has gone straight and sold out 'to the man' :)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

simon wrote:
I'm with ye Veggie Bruv, I'm letting mah freak flag fly.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"