blind testing

Subjects that don't have their own home
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Dave the bass wrote:I'm letting mah freak flag fly.
Erm, sorry? :lol:
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

ed wrote:

My theory goes that:- so far most of the high street transistor amps have been class B or AB since the sixties, and I believe that has a unique sound.......now if all the valve amps had been run in class B or AB since the sixties then there would not be the comparisons that exist today......and certainly the prejudiced view would be a little quieter.....If those of the very vocal anti SS brigade had heard some of these single ended class A offerings I'm sure they wouldn't be so vocal in their condemnation.
could you also apply this arguement to the output stages of cd/dvd/dac ?
ed
retired

Post by ed »

absolutely no idea Richard, sorry. I don't know what class the gain stages work in for those devices, if indeed they have any.

SimonC

unfortunately wont be able to make it for weekend of 23/24 Feb as its a birthday weekend here. Besides which I'm unlikely to have anything ready by then.

Simon

I'm gonna fly my freak flag high........I think its jimi hendrix, possibly if six was nine....I always thought it was a reference to being upside down.....but I'm hoping dave will spill the beans
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Re- "I'm letting mah freak flag fly". It's an oft-quoted lyric between Ms DTB and me from the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young LP 'Deja Vu', the track 'Almost Cut my hair' is about not selling out to the man and conforming and such-like and contains the classic line "freak flag fly" line.
Other such gems ont he same track are concerning "looking into a rear view mirror and seeing ah Pohleece Car". EDIT. I think this link lets you preview that ACTUAL line, yes, just click the play button How cool is that... "it was mean't to be."....arrgghh thats a quote from Waynes World.

Pah! Squares the lot of ye :)... I was only 5 when it came out but it's just one of those LP's we know inside out and have 3 copies of in various conditions.

Doesn't anyone else swap lyrics with there other halves ? Ooppss, maybe it's just us :oops:

DTB
Last edited by Dave the bass on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote:I think its jimi hendrix, possibly if six was nine....I always thought it was a reference to being upside down.....but I'm hoping dave will spill the beans
I always thought if 6 was 9 I wouldn't ever be late for work :)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

ed wrote:
absolutely no idea Richard, sorry. I don't know what class the gain stages work in for those devices, if indeed they have any.
i'm not sure either but i've never noticed any substantial heat sinking or hot items in these devices, so assume they're not operating in class a.

if this is correct then prehaps a good portion of the benefit of changing to a valve output stage could be gained from a well designed sand one operating in class a ?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-i seem to remember reading that on some older CD players the headphone output was from a small separate class A amp and that taking this output to the pre amp input was "better" for sound quality !
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Hang on, don't we need to be carefull here, it looks like folk are making predictions from an as yet unproved (and untested) hypothesis.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

sorry if i gave the wrong impression- it was more of a musing than a definative statement
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

As for the hypothesis - its a good idea that (almost) all those tranny amps were AB or worse and I hope soon I will be able to add to the debate what a Zen 5 sounds like.

It is a 'complimentary' amp even though in class A this to me still means PushPull. Right now, it is a non-working amp but, laters.

.... fade out with running bass line and psychadelic sounds ....

Captain America and his two chums pull up their Harleys outside a roadside coffee shop and the story continues .....
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

No me and my other aarrff don't swap lyrics because I don't know any David Cassidy and she doesn't know any who.