Samsung gets its arse handed to it on a plate

Subjects that don't have their own home
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

I'll comment before departing permanently.

Why does this forum allow people to delete all comment? It allows users to make a nonsense of threads, as seen here.

I wonder why Steve deleted all his posts? Does he expect a thread with such a provocative title to escape comment/criticism? Most forums put a time limit on members being able to delete content, with good reason.

Deleting this thread (which I couldn't give a monkeys about personally) is similar to the way the Chinese deal with the Tibetan situation isn't it? Sweep it under the carpet and kid the world there isn't a problem. Censorship.

I've seen members here comment that 'This forum doesn't have a problem with nastiness like other forums'. Ha-ha, who you kidding? I'm a regular forum member at three other sites and an occasional visitor at 2 others and I've never seen discord at any of those places like I've seen here.

And Steve, Greg isn't a nice bloke, he's a thoroughly nasty person from my (admittedly limited) experience. And I really really don't like dissing anybody, I like people.

I'm sorry to go, lotta nice folk here, and I'm cutting my nose to spite my face as I need advice as I want to build a valve phono stage. Oh well.

I could give many many stories involving the police and myself, probably more good than bad, but just like this forum, the police will always have rotten apples. Maybe I should relate my burglar story, where the police are alternately portrayed as bad, then ultimately good, it was a real experience of mine 14 years ago.

I suppose when this thread gets deleted/censored (nothing nasty ever happens here folks - see? It's not there) it will make me look foolish for going. Oh well, c'est la vie.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Deffo not censorship Tony.

by asking members opinions on the matter sounds more like Nick was evoking a bit of democracy.

If anything, Steve has censored himself. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

floppybootstomp wrote:And Steve, Greg isn't a nice bloke, he's a thoroughly nasty person from my (admittedly limited) experience. And I really really don't like dissing anybody, I like people.
Thanks Floppy, I love you too :lol: Actually I really love you quite alot. Any chance we could snoozle down together sometime and get really well aquainted, mayby including a third dimension into our association? If so, it could become a relationship. That would be nice, dont you think?
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I think people who are able to know so much about someone two dimensionally as Greg says are so much cleverer than me I haves a lot to learn from them. Maybe it is because I am dyslexic. My only salvation is that possibly like Greg I am trained to read non verbal communications professionally, so my total ineptitude at being judge jury and hangman over the written word alone won't affect my progress completely, though i realize that more of the people in power have this amazing skill and those of us who have worked professionally to read 3 dimensional people will just have to retire.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

blinking android. Should be using an Apple product :shock:
Last edited by Paul Barker on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

On the closing of the thread. Steve started it, if he doesn't like the thread any longer has he not got the right to close it? If others have issues related to the original subject matter they are all capable of starting their own thread.

On my gas fitter forum mods block such a thread but what was in it remains in public (when i say public i mean all members.you have to be gas safe registered to see the forum at all as we discuss issues best kept out of public domain) view up to the point it was blocked.

Regarding users who are creating problems there is a system of automatic monitoring.people can hit a report button. After a pre detained number of hits that person is automatically barred from the forum, which is tough for them as their credentials have to match their gas safe registration details, so unlike in forums like this where people can register as many personas as they desire, barred means barred. People therefore trend not to make flaming personal statements and the salient technical issues for which the forum exists get a fair inventive airing.

It has long been my desire, but I realise it is an unrealistic expectation, that people in the audio forum domain should also be accountable. the only thing I would say which we individually have th epower to do is weight all posters by their accountability. People who use nom de plumes get least credibility, but perhaps also we should be less offended by them. I am a huge believer that people take offense wrongly, and that is simply up to that individual to correct. If we change our attitude as recipients of flames, and weight them according to the credibility of the flamer, suddenly it doesn't seem important. For myself if someone doesn't have a long history in audio over time which has demonstrated skill and application, who cares about their flames?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

OK folks before this thread gets consigned to the cyber shredder, where it belongs.
I am not proud of the means by which I trashed this thread by removing my posts. Hiowever I would request that it be left up just for today so that Greg can see what I am about to restore of my final comment.
I'm pretty sure Greg is capable of looking after himself but I am afraid I have to rebut your comments about him.

Now Greg I am hoping you don't fall asleep having to wade through the next bit but it needs saying.

I did not start this God-forsaken flame war, indeed if some commentators had refrained from going into full on diatribes that became increasingly personal we would not be in this situation in the first place. Sorry Tony mate but the way I was treated is nothing less than a form of cyber-bullying.

OK so "its only a forum blah blah, what did you expect, blah, blah, you over reacted blah blah, you're too sensitive etc etc, oooohhhh diddums, flouncy drama queen, buggering off and sulking just cos someone don't agree with him, stop acting the Diva and grow up etc......er...no...sorry.

I'm all for reasoned debate and indeed I got into quite a heated one with Neal a few weeks back about the wisdom of using cathodyne phase splitters versus long tail pairs. Guess what? I took on board what Neal suggested and respected the fact that he would not have been badgering me so hard to go with the long tail pair if he did not know what he was talking about, so I was courteous and thanked him for his advice, going with the LTP, producing a schematic of a twin triode sitting on a pentode. A bit more advice from Mike and we had a working proposition.

Why did I go with Neal's suggestions. Well I respected the fact that he had a lot more experience of PP amps than I did. I also appreciated the fact that he would not have been so persistent in his arguments for that particular circuit vs my cathodyne unless he actually did have a valid point to make. He didn't have to do this, he did not have to put in the effort to make his case, he did not have to take the time to be so persistent.

The point I am trying to make is that Neal did not get personal with his arguments, he was persistent and got the right outcome by not resorting to name calling and bad feeling. Indeed, why should he have cared one jot what I wanted to do with an amp that he would probably never be asked to listen to, but the fact that he did care, had investigated the alternatives and found them wanting; trying to steer me onto a course that would give the best sound. So I was courteous enough to listen to and take on board advice.

The fact that I did not build the KT120 PP amp is neither here nor there, I have a good schematic I could use in future, a schematic I am sure will work and sound great, because it was arrived at by reasoned debate, one that did get heated, but one that was nevertheless fine by me. That is what comes out of reasoned argument; something better than what was proposed in the beginning and respect/deference even, to the more experienced viewpoint.

OK Greg here is a restored bit of my penultimate post.
In the case of Greg, Tony, I am afraid I am going to have to disagree most strongly with you. Yes Greg does have an abrasive posting style and can be controversial, but in fact he is one of the nicest people you could meet. He is a curmudgeonly old maverick (like me) but nice below the surface(like me) He is a bugger for waiting until the heat gets just right then lighting the blue paper and retiring to a safe distance.

Indeed Greg is quite capable of provoking me into a twenty page rant. I always fall for it but that's just me I can't help it. Nevertheless I like him a lot, he's good company and knows a thing or two about what makes good sound at home.
As for me censoring myself well what's done is done and can't be undone unless Nick has an up to date backup from Saturday he can use to restore the thread. Whatever he wants to do I am fine with, but why should he? Nick I am sure has better things to do than trawl a backup looking for a thread. Far easier to hit delete on an admin screen.

BUT...I was not going to sit here whilst being subjected to derision and ridicule.

Strong words maybe, emotionally charged words that could be interpreted as emotional on my part? Nothing could be further from the truth.

It is a perfectly cool reasoned decision I have made to not contribute for a while. No drama queen histrionics of any kind are involved in this decision whatever.

I'll bid you good day for now.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Oh and one last atttempt at censorship from me.
Could we please have the courtesy to leave this post as the last word.
I do not want to hear anymore about it atleast until Greg has read the little quote, because I do not want to be associated with any of Tony's comments about him,

They are not my personal viewpoint Greg.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

I started a flame war? I am a cyber-bully?

I can see what's happening here, the clique are lining me up to be a scapegoat as I rubbed some folk up the wrong way for daring to have a different point of view.

So be it, I hope you all feel better after this thread and myself have gone.

I would like to state that my comments were not intended to be personally abusive towards Steve, just abrasive towards Apple, who I'm not fond of. And after 13 years experience of forums I don't consider myself a cyber-bully, to be labelled one is certainly a first for me.

But you all know each other from Owston and other meets don't you? I've never been so therefore I must be in the wrong. I can't actually attend for medical reasons which I've never discussed here and those reasons have been worsened following three ops this year.

Greg, you may think you're being funny in your last post, I'm tempted to say you need medical help but since you called me an arsehole on February 5th this year I must confess I don't like you, hence my reaction to your comments here. I think the bile in your one post here outweighs all my supposed 'cyber-bullying' in the entire thread.

Some words will automatically turn folk against another if they are used against them 'cyber-bullying' and flame wars' are two such accusations.

And I've been accused of them, very clever Steve, good psychology.

I can't even defend myself now as half of the dialogue has been deleted.

So, carry on lads, looks like I won't have to voluntarily stay away, I may end up for the first time in my life being banned from a forum.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

This is all so sad and unnecessary. We all know how easy it is to get carried away on a keyboard, (Greg will tell you that I've had that problem myself...) and we all know that if Steve, Greg and Tony were sat in a bar together they'd probably get on like a house on fire, and would be able to tell from normal social interaction when subjects provoke perhaps unexpected levels of reaction and react accordingly to maintain harmony. In our everyday lives we all meet people who have views and opinions vastly different from our own, and we deal with them without even realising what we are doing. Not having the normal checks and balances of conversation means that opinions are registered and reacted to without taking into account the character and background of the other party, and sometimes things get out of hand. Since it is obvious that you are all reasonable and decent people, can you not just forget about this? We know that Steve likes Apple and Tony doesn't, and we know that Greg was in the Police and Tony has had issues with them. It's not such a big deal to accept that and carry on is it?

Steve and Tony, you have both made huge contributions to this forum and it will be a lesser place without either of you. You will be sorely missed, and as far as I'm concerened, always welcomed back.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Tony, I think you are arguing with who you think both Steve and Greg are, the reality is they are not the people you are arguing with.

A old quote, but the map is not the territory, Greg is not some image of a police man you have, he is a person, who happen to be in the police force in the past, and the same for Steve. You may say, "I just treat people as I find them" ok, but I find that assuming the best of someone is a better plan, not the worst.

Steve, I will let Tony reply to this if he wants, and then you can finish it off if you also wish, after that its ended. Ok?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

And what Phil said.

This is the eternal problem about writing on forums, there's no body language to back up the words. And it's a large chunk of really quite essential information.

As has been said to me, when you have had the opportunity to meet another member face to face, a whole new dimension is acquired so that what they write here, or even how they write it, can make much more sense than hitherto. Still doesn't mean you have to agree with them.

Personally I find it quite dismaying that whatever shenanigans two multi-national corporations want to get up to should cause a fall-out amongst us plebs, as if we could do anything about it.

Ende

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Ok, final word, I resent being labelled a cyber-bully, I'm not, read the text of my posts, I think that bears my claim out. In school, if a child is wrongly labelled a bully, the accusation often sticks, even without proof and that, I believe, is what's happened to me here for merely responding to a shameless put down of one company after another company won it's legal action.

It's not the fact Greg is an ex-copper why I dislike him, it's his general tone and the fact he called me an arsehole for no good reason, that was another forum first for me in 13 years. I know policemen now, I've seen another forum member, a young guy, go through college, then Cambridge Uni and now he's serving with the Cambridge police force, the boy's doing well.

And on the same forum a fellow moderator is also a police officer, he works out of that green & beige building on the south side of The Thames, mostly keeping an eye on our would-be terrorist friends.

And I've also done several discos for our uniformed brethren at Dartford Section House. Police persons are a strange lot, terribly reserved until the third pint or martini kicks in and then there's no stopping them. But requests for Oasis? At a New Years Eve dance? Strange.

All my unsavoury experiences with the police were many years ago, the DS who stitched me up was straight out of that series 'Life On Mars' fat, moustachioed and wearing a cheap suit with a shiny arse on it. He looked much the same as his colleagues who offered me stolen cameras, booze and watches.

I still pine for Yvonne Fletcher and Keith Blakelock and I think the police force has improved tremendously after they had a serious rethink in the late eighties about their attitude.

So I hope that's made my stance clear.

Shane - thank you, your post was warming to read, might just hang around - oh noes! I hear you all cry.

Thank you Nick for letting me have a final post, it's apreciated.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

floppybootstomp wrote:It's not the fact Greg is an ex-copper why I dislike him, it's his general tone and the fact he called me an arsehole for no good reason, that was another forum first for me in 13 years.
Floppy, you obviously have a general dislike of the police service. There is little point in trying to now suggest otherwise considering your posting history here on the topic.

I really don't mind what you think of me, the police service or anything else for that matter, but it would be helpful if you stopped misrepresenting what I said to you in a previous post. Here is what I wrote.
Greg wrote:
floppybootstomp wrote:Policeman's speciality: The noble art of kettling and beating elderly newspaper vendors to death with their truncheons and then denying it. Oh, I could list a hundred and one. At least.
Hmm, what a shame. Up until now I always thought you spunkily broad minded but now you choose to use an isolated example to express your apparent disdain for the Police service. Clearly you are a sadly narrow minded and tunnel visioned person. You have chosen to illustrate and emphasise an incident that has no association to what the actual day to day 'Policemans Speciality' is. I have no doubt that if you were suddenly faced with a crisis, that 'Policemans Specialism' could be the saving of your life, or even at least, a source of relief, comfort and peace. Please don't be an arsehole. You can't know the future but one day, a 'Policemans Speciality' could save your or your daughters life!
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Obviously? Obviously? That is so typically old Bill, I make a few critical comments regarding the police force and suddenly I'm a police hater. You've weighed me up and condemned me on a few throwaway comments I'd made. Takes me back to that questioning in the interview room where two of your colleagues threw questions at me until I was dizzy and was ready to confess to my part in the Great Train Robbery.

You don't know how I feel about the police so don't you ever dare to presume my feelings, ok? That is damn arrogant of you, snidey and underhanded.

Here's my view of the police: I appreciate the work they do, I know they have to deal with a lot of unpleasantness (just like the other emergency services) and they see a lot of the seamy side of life. But most probably knew that when they signed up. Without a police force there would be turmoil and anarchy so I suppose they are a good thing.

At the same time, due to personal experience and plain common sense, I'm very wary of the boys in blue as I know if they don't like the look of me I can be behind bars in an instant. My attitude may have something to do with the area I was raised in where early advice to me was `Don't trust a copper' and `Never, ever, say more than you have to to a police officer as all he's usually doing is waiting for you to talk yourself into something so he can nick you'.

True, that, if a police officer called to interview me over a matter, usually as a witness and not a suspect, he'd invariably want to search my place, always sniffing for a nick.

And as I stated previously, the police have helped me many times. As well as being offered stolen goods when I was working on a newspaper I made friends with several officers and even helped them out on occasion. I was once planted in a basement with a radio transmitter full of drug dealers in Forest Hill to blend in as no police officer had managed it. I did and evidence I obtained led to a murder conviction.

I could tell a lot of stories but it seems only the negative ones tend to stay with me, the few I've part mentioned here.

So, no back tracking for me and also no toadying, I will maintain my healthy wariness of my uniformed guardians.

I think I'll post my burglar story, this story will possibly make people think I'm an ogre but it will show Greenwich police officers in a good light.

Btw, how did you do that? I was half way through making this post when my computer suffered a blue screen of death. Last time it done that was over six months ago. Clever.