Samsung gets its arse handed to it on a plate

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Ali Tait wrote:Yep, I've had a great curry this week, made by my other half, who was taught well by her mother how to make them properly-no stuff in jars except the spices!
A few years ago Tunbridge Wells got a PROPER spice shop - a Sri Lankan one (the "Spice Store"). Absolute heaven for those of us dahn sarf who like things done proper like an is foodies.

I spent 4 of the last 6 years in the West End of London - in Covent Garden, a few 100 metres from China Town. Its a true joy to wander round real & interesting shops and wonder just what you might be buying - in China Town, a lot of the shop staff don't speak English, so sometimes our luck's in, sometimes not...

Making your own curries from scratch is a huge pleasure. It should be compulsory.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

nickds1 wrote:Its a true joy to wander round real & interesting shops and wonder just what you might be buying - in China Town, a lot of the shop staff don't speak English, so sometimes our luck's in, sometimes not...

Making your own curries from scratch is a huge pleasure. It should be compulsory.
When I was astudent in Hull I bought some "tea" in a continental shop (the one that used to be on Spring Bank near Arnots where they sold fadges to students late at nigh Steve) . As I was in the Uni Karate Club I became friendly with the Chinease race Malaysian students who were all excellent at martial arts. Scarily so, much better than any British Black belt I knew at that time. But anyway, they looked through my cupobard and said "Hay Paul, why you buying medicine for Rheumatic Fever?"
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

SteveTheShadow wrote:As Spock always says "the needs of the many must outweigh the needs of the few"
Hmmm, didn't Stalin say something like that (leading him to murder thousands) long before a theatrically nonsense statement from an imaginary character called Spock?
SteveTheShadow wrote: Jesus, that damned predictive text turned managed into magnates with no regard for context, good job I noticed what it had done.
Steve, you've been in public service long enough (and maybe this is why you're getting out). You really don't need to use expletives that can be offensive to others even if you don't recognise it for yourself.

On the topic, I'm sure most consumers like me don't care one dot about the patent politics. We just look at the market and buy what we think will accommodate our needs best. That'll never change.

On home made curry, I share the views expressed. Bristol is fortunately a cosmopolitan city with it's established ethnic trading areas. We like to buy our spices and authentic vegetables from Asian shops. Apart from anything else, you get authenticity at the best price. Local supermarkets which recognise they have a local ethnic clientel try to sell the same products but at seriously inflated prices.

Apple vs. Samsung? Who gives a shit!
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

deleted
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

SteveTheShadow wrote:
And still the personal attacks keep coming, what is it with some of you people.
I had hoped I'd made it clear my posts were not a personal attack, I'm just expressing my views in response to your views in, I hope, a well mannered fashion.

The teaching profession. I have some understanding here, having worked in London schools since '85 and one of my twin daughters, Sophie, having just completed her first year teaching history at a secondary school in Bath and managing to build a strong rapport with her students.

So well done to you Steve, sincerely.

Greg has rubbed me up the wrong way several times. He reminds me of the police officers who framed me and beat me, not the police officers who have helped me.

Can I say just one word Greg? Kettling. You didn't like me saying that before did you?

Why do people join the police force? To help? To carry out a legalised form of Vigilante-ism? To have the power to lock people up at their whim? Some kind of personal form of getting their jollies from a power trip?

I've worked with the police, local newspaper reporter for four years, I was offered stolen goods from Sydenham's finest frequently.

We were talking about Apple. We disagree but possibly find common ground. imo, Greg is a heathen.

In fact, he caused me to ignore this forum for a coupla months, Lenco Heaven has a lot nicer folk, I'm there now and at other forums I've been at since '99.

Farewell all, this forum is plainly not for me.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

As an outsider to the emotional element three people seem to have attached unnecesarily to an unemotive issue (to me).

Why Floppy upset with Greg over what he said to Steve Here? and in so doing bring up irrelevant issues from another time and space in an offensive manor?
Why Steve so down the line Apple that he attaches so much personal state of mind to it?
Why Greg say shit at the end of what was otherwise a perfectly reasonable post?

But why on earth fall out on a forum about audio over a totally unrelated issue which seems to run some peoples lives unhealthily.

Ref Metropolitan Police (which Greg never was, so why tar him with that brush?) I had a work colleague once who was ex met. bobby. He was a very offensive character I had the misfortune to be driven by him from the City through Brixton to Lewisham and as we were near Railton Road soon after the riots when it was still sheeted up with tin shack material and groups of West Indians lined every corner, he wound the window down and shouted "Nigger". I feared for my life! Forunately the van kept going.

The London Traffic Police when I was down there were even known as "Black Rats" by the bobbies.

I met an ex bobby in the mental assylum who was basically down after a failed marriage who said a black rat even did him for dangerous driving though he showed his warrant card and his version of events sounded fair enough to me. A Black Rat had me unfairly too when he couldn't see everything. What he saw was a motorbike swerve out of control and mount the pavement. What he didn't see was two old ladies who stepped onto the road without looking. In court I had the charge reduced from Wreckless driving to undue care and attention. The Black Rat would have been happy to see me hung and had no interest in the truth. Then there was a time I parked my bike on Fleet street with no parked vehicles anywhere near me, delivered my parcel came out to see a Bobby watching a lorry back into my bike and knock it over. I said to him (hoping for a witness) " did you see that?" to which he replied "well you shouldn't have parked up his arse should you?" Then there was the time I came round the corner no other traffic on the road to see a man lying on the road having been the victim of a hit and run. I dutifully parked my bike so as to protect him and went to see if he needed the kiss of life, but he was OK. Not wanting to move him in case of spinal injury I called in on the radio and our office called police (this was common almost a daily occurance we were their eyes and ears). A plocice car not responding to our call came by the incident and arrested me as clearly I had nocked the man over!. Fortunately for me two ladies came out of a nearby office and told them what had happened.

So yes floppy just a few minor examples of prejudice and unfairness in the Metropolitan Police of the 1980's.

But what has Greg got to do with that?
Last edited by Paul Barker on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

deleted
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yikes .... Image

I got a chilli con carne in the freezer if that counts

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote:Yikes .... Image

I got a chilli con carne in the freezer if that counts
Food is much more interesting... Making dolmades ATM.

Good time of year. Raspberries, Strawberries, runner beans, french beans, tomatoes, spuds, chillies, peppers, apples, beetroot, onions, herbs and god knows what else is in the garden right now. Red cabbages & celeriac coming on nicely. Mulberry tree in full fruit, figs grapes. Fantastic...

Putting the clearers on the hives today - these are special boards that are essentially one-way trapdoors for bees - its the way we get them out of the honey boxes before extracting...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Got any horseradish? We're going out for a spot of fishing later on, and there's nothing like a few fresh fried mackerel fillets with horseradish mashed potatoes.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

deleted
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Now Steve has deleted all his posts this thread makes even less sense than it did before. What do folk feel about just removing it?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

A thoroughly good idea. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Fine by me.

Hopefully normal programming will resume in due course.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Agreed. Damn shame though.