Samsung gets its arse handed to it on a plate

Subjects that don't have their own home
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

deleted
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Paul Barker wrote:sorry to appear selfish but does this mean that Samsung will be made to send a patch down to my Galaxy SII which dissables it?

Or will they just have to stop making any more smart phones with an iphone style operating system, and allow the existing users to continue?

Also what about all the other Android phones?
Its nothing to do with any of that Paul, its just the appearance and look and feel of a Tablet that has something in common with the iPad and the PADD from Star Trek.

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Hi Nick, I don't like this case and the way it will go in the end any more than you do, but I can't see what other option they had.
Well, they could just get on with making better products that work better and offer better value for money.

Mercedes, for example don't spend any time trying to stop any other car company making a car with a wheel at each corner.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

deleted
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Blimey. When you join Apple as an employee, retail shop assistant or otherwise, do they give you a brain implant or something? I've enjoyed certain jobs I've had in my time but I don't think any of them has ever made me gush so favourably about my employer.

I don't think the question is whether Samsung copied elements of the so-called iPhone but whether Apple has the right to get patents on certain aspects of hardware & software. And I don't see what the early nineties had to do with it, that was twenty years ago.

Everybody copies everybody to a degree, things evolve, I wonder if the automotive industry took the same stance whether the courts would be full of conflicts over patents relating to steering wheels and windshields?

STS, I'm aware of your love and blind loyalty to Apple but have you ever paused to maybe step back and view the situation as a neutral outsider? I guess that may be hard as it's Apple we're talking about here but they're not as squeaky clean as you'd like to believe.

You say you enjoyed working for Apple yet they didn't pay as much as you can earn working as a supply teacher? Well, then Apple have the same work ethics as most big corporations if that's the case, pay as little as possible to the employees who sell your product.

FWIW I have little time for Microsoft either, they have been guilty of some heinous business practices but this argument that Microsoft ripped off Apple is a hackneyed one and only partly true, in the early days everybody was nicking everybody else's ideas and Sun & IBM were also players in the race to establish an OS market share.

I think, STS, as Phil said, your admiration and blind loyalty to Apple may make you not be able to see the wood for the trees, though I don't want to get personal. You seem to think Apple can do no wrong and anybody they point their finger at is ipso facto the villain of the piece.

I have no great love for Samsung products either tbh, but I've owned a few of their things, think I got one of their monitors somewhere. But brand loyalty? Foolishness in my book, as no company consistently turns out quality products. AMD/ATI Vs Nvidia?; AMD Vs Intel? Nope, just what happens to be the best performance & value at the time.

My `tossers' comment was mostly aimed at I-Pad and I-Phone users who absolutely have to have the latest model, not realising they are being heavily ripped off with each purchase. Imo

I quite like the Apple desktops (but would never pay that price for a machine that is underpowered for the cash outlay but which admittedly does look rather good) and I may even purchase a used I-Phone 3 soon as I think my HTC Wildfire is rubbish. I like some Linux Distros and am currently using Mint 13 KDE but I need Win 7 for gaming.

Anyhow, my own view is - all power to Samsung's elbow, I hope they win, if only to take the wind out of the sails of those arrogant Apple CEO's.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

deleted
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

deleted
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I used to envy the people who had double the money I had to spend on a computer, but that is no longer the case. A friend bought one and though he I'd as proud as punch, i was very unimpressed.i saw no advantage over my 3 year old laptop worth £50 more let alone double the price.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I used to envy the people who had double the money I had to spend on a computer, but that is no longer the case. A friend bought one and though he I'd as proud as punch, i was very unimpressed.i saw no advantage over my 3 year old laptop worth £50 more let alone double the price.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

deleted
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

SteveTheShadow wrote:
What more do you want me to say?
Dunno.

I will say that in your opening and subsequent posts there's more bias than in a Daily Mail lead story ;)

I have never seen such devotion to a company, it's almost fanatical. Nowt wrong with support I suppose, cheering your team on and all, but Apple are just as rotten as Microsoft.

I understand that your work experience, working with a good bunch of folk for a company that appeared to have a sound company policy has influenced your outlook but it may be wise to shed the blinkers and look below the surface of the veneer.

Yes, Apple have been innovative, so have lots of companies in the computer market, but they have also been plagiarists, just like all the other companies. That's the way it is and to an extent should be but America is so obsessed with patents and lawyers the legal shenanigans sometimes becomes a hindrance rather than a way forward.

I've often considered buying an Apple desktop, I do like the OS and they look gorgeous, I've chatted to the (admittedly) helpful and friendly staff in Apple shops (Bluewater & Central London) but each time it's come to the crunch I way up the pound coin/performance ratio, thank the shop assistant nicely and walk out.

And now each action like the Samsung lawsuit that Apple initiate drives me further from that goal.

You assert that the customer will suffer. Possibly, just possibly, regular Apple customers might, but I certainly won't suffer cos I not an Apple customer, I just look on at all the legal wranglings and give a bemused smile.

And, er, wossa curry bomb? :scratch:
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

deleted
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

I have read all your posts and hopefully digested all that you're saying and as such I would say my last post makes sense, please don't accuse me of spouting gibberish when I'm not.

When I see a whole bunch of comments so biased on a subject such as this, so one sided, I find it hard not to comment. And as such it's difficult not to make my comments seem as though they are on a personal level.

If you've taken offence I apologise but if any offence has been taken it's probably on the same level as my offence taken at reading just the title of this thread, let alone all the text that followed.

So the curry bomb is changing the subject eh?

Ok, I'm done here.

I've never met you Steve but I'd be disheartened if my comments have distanced me from you, I'm not commenting here on a personal spiteful level, merely trying to give a balance to a viewpoint expressed here which seems to be terribly one sided.

I wish you well. It's a bit early but I think I'm going to have a Guinness and sit outside and smell the plants that the thunderstorm has just drenched. Guinness and plants wet with rain, nice combo.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

deleted
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Yep, I've had a great curry this week, made by my other half, who was taught well by her mother how to make them properly-no stuff in jars except the spices!