Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8911 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Plenty of snow up here, just came down heavily again. I went up into town for a few things and nearly got stuck twice, despite winter tyres.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8912 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

My Honda CRV is predominantly front wheel drive, but the rear drive facility kicks in as soon as the front/rear wheel speeds differ.

Not been in any conditions to experience the workings yet.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#8913 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Last night we went over to catch up with some old friends who were our next door neighbours back in the 80s. Back then, the had a Garrard 401 in an SME2000 plinth system with an SME3009 and Shure V15, all absolutely pristine and meticulously maintained. Can’t remember the amp, but the speakers were KEF Concertos.

Last night he showed me his latest pride and joy. A brand new little Akai turntable with built in Bluetooth feeding a Bose speaker about the size of two fag packets standing on top of each other. It sounded, well, let’s be kind and say limited.

What happened to the Garrard, I asked? Went to the tip about 15 years ago, having spent ten years in the loft.

At least he kept his LPs.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8914 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

shane wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:32 pm
What happened to the Garrard, I asked? Went to the tip about 15 years ago, having spent ten years in the loft.
Oh dear. :shock:

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#8915 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

He's not the only person to have chucked away a 401.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8916 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Just read today a friend on another forum (X9 owners club) had her second scooter stolen in virtually as many months. Both were a Honda Integra. First one from where it was parked outside the karate club she goes too. For the second one (the replacement via insurance payout) two lads on another scooter knocked her off while she was riding home again from karate club, then picked it up and rode it away. A Good Samaritan in a car saw it picked her up, gave chase but were soon left behind after two streets. Most of rest of evening spent being chauffeured around in a police car in a fruitless search. Then they took her home. She lives somewhere in south London I believe. Been a spate of organised scooter thefts in the area apparently. This was particularly nasty tho literally highway robbery. Was a residential street too with houses on both sides so not like somewhere secluded.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8917 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Just can't say enough about this guy's work.
He started with 10" and 14" reflectors at home , now he's getting the prestigious invites !
http://www.damianpeach.com/picdumidi2017.htm
This set from Pic du Midi in Pyrenees contains the best shots of Jupiter and Saturn ever taken from the Earth.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#8918 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Beautiful!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8919 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I've been up the Pic Du Midi de Bigorre, but not to the observatory.

Edmund Burke

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8920 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Sorry to cross posts with you there Mike - depressing story - so annoying !

Pic du Midi , well twas one of my finest hours if you want to know :D I'll tell it because I'm fed up of being a fat tired middle-aged man who doesn't do much ... when cycle-touring the Pyrenees in 1991 with my old school-mate Andrew, we camped in Luz Saint-Sauveur and rode up the Tourmalet. Had lunch at the summit café, locked up the bikes and continued on foot another 3000ft to the observatory. Once we were there, we happened upon an astronomy student, and Andrew ( who was living in France by then and fluent ) asked him a couple of questions & then we got a tailor-made tour of the observatory from him. I have photos, it was spectacular- you could see about 150 miles to the North. The building reminded me of a ship more than a building - the sort of railings and special paint that is rather nautical.
Probably the best feeling I ever had on a walk/ride too - half way up the walk I felt incredibly happy and elated and almost floating uphill with no effort.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8921 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:32 pm
Probably the best feeling I ever had on a walk/ride too - half way up the walk I felt incredibly happy and elated and almost floating uphill with no effort.
Could be the lack of oxygen in the air at that altitude.

It's the only place I've ever been and suffered from breathing problems.

Edmund Burke

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8922 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Cyclists are made of sterner stuff !
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#8923 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Some cyclists...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8924 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

None round here.....nothing to see.....move along now...I've spent all my free time on the Bullet recently but "schools out" from next weds for a fortnight so whahey,, Fixie-Phun-time can recommence.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#8925 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

I was in London a week ago doing some "fire fighting", so no time to get out and about... lovely being cold - walked every day from Charing Cross up to Mayfair - about 1.5 to 2 miles each way - lovely walk - cold crisp clear air with a bit of a breeze - Pall Mall, on to St. James's (*), along Jermyn St., up to Berkley Sq. and then to Shepherd Market. Yes, they are posh areas, but lovely to stroll around.

Back in Blighty from Thursday for Crimble, so the touring Holdsworth will be pried out of the back of the garage. 10 gears was LUXURY in them days. Mind you, only about 4 work now (bike is 35 years old). Solid Reynolds 531 frame - when the old chain set finally gives out, I've been told that it'd make a great fixie. I may yet join that club...

In the light of Mr. I's nasty tumble, might have to avoid the roads and get the MTB out (before DtB leaps in, it's not a motor torpedo boat) and pootle around Bedgebury & Hemsted forests with the one remaining dog :(

(*) had to check the apostrophe on that - English is really tricky sometimes.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt