Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9226 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

If one accepts this particular definition (see below) of "luthier" then an electric guitar maker would not qualify.

"A luthier is someone who builds or repairs string instruments generally consisting of a neck and a sound box. The word "luthier" comes from the French word luth, which means lute."

Edit.

In loose terms I consider myself an "engineer", trained by the Marconi company. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#9227 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

For example
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#9228 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

However, I might as well be fixing toasters or washing machines...
I suspect the people who design toasters and washing machines may have a view on that as well.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9229 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

:lol:
Nick wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:04 pm
However, I might as well be fixing toasters or washing machines...
I suspect the people who design toasters and washing machines may have a view on that as well.
Quite explicitly, I said "fixing", not "design"ing... Often wondered if I should have done my Chartered Engineer status thing (I still could) - just doesn't seem much point any more.
Last edited by jack on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9230 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Interesting article about a luthier.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/09/ ... tar-maker/

Edmund Burke

ed
retired

#9231 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

jack wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:55 pm I feel the same about the term "Engineer".

I trained for years, have a degree, did research and designed bits of the Harrier (and other stuff). However, I might as well be fixing toasters or washing machines...
As did I, except the Harrier bit, and agree wholeheartedly as the IEEE even bestowed me with the title 'Chartered'......I think I was looking at it in a common sense kind of way.

Having spent many hours in John LeVoi's workshop and seen the stuff he gets up to...well I think I could produce soemthing like Nick posted but I know in truth I could never come near to the stuff John produces
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
shane
Social outcast

#9232 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

jack wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:55 pm I feel the same about the term "Engineer".

I trained for years, have a degree, did research and designed bits of the Harrier (and other stuff). However, I might as well be fixing toasters or washing machines...

In the US of A you’d be driving a train!

Which bits of the Harrier?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9233 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

shane wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:52 pm Which bits of the Harrier?
Parts of the Doppler MLS (Microwave Landing System) - there were two competing systems - Doppler MLS and Time Reference Scanning Beam (TRSB). I designed the digital filtering on the MLS system and some other avionics when working for STL in Harlow.

Project was eventually stymied by rigged voting and politics: https://books.google.ae/books?id=pnV6UY ... ls&f=false

Also learnt to drive by pretending to be a Harrier.
ed
retired

#9234 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

Not a harrier..but..
I caught this in the garden before Christmas last year. The photo is from my son's bedroom window so is not too clear. The white mess was a pigeon...shame I couldn't get a clearer pic, but I thought unusual enough for the middle of Hull.

After asking a few people the most consistent idea seems to be a Goshawk
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
shane
Social outcast

#9235 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Just about to post a spiel about my late brother in law and the Harrier, but I thought I’d do a quick search to see if I’ve posted it before. Wouldn’t want to bore everyone again. Turns out that I did back in 2010, and immediately after is your first post, saying the same thing. What goes around comes around but I can’t believe it’s eight years ago.

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... it=Harrier
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9236 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Spent a couple of hours this afternoon tracing some of my old haunts with Google street view, when I was a student back in the '70's. The college, which was Southend College of Technology in Carnarvon Road, a 6 stories block to one end of which was attached the School of Art and Design, is now demolished to make way for new houses. Had been derelict since 2004 and an "eyesore" according to the local newspaper.

Going home in the evenings I would usually walk south down Victoria Avenue and eventually to Southend Central Railway station. But sometimes I would go north, turn west into West Road and call in at a little electronics shop that was there. Either I wanted something in particular or just to see what bargains they might have; they'd often have old circuit boards from scrapped equipment for like 50 pence each. Or "bargain bundles", like 150 transistors for 50p. (Mostly manufacturers rejects.) The shop doesn't exist any more either, or at least if the main building is still original, it now has a new brick frontage.

Then I'd walk on to Westcliff railway station via Hamlet Court Road, incidentally passing by the end of Westborough Road, up the other end of which was another electronics emporium, Flemings.

But anyway from Hamlet Court Road I'd have to cross the old London Road (A13) on the way to the station. Somewhere along here I remember seeing an upstairs window, possibly of an upstairs flat, or so I fancied at the time (the old houses being converted to flats was quite common in this area) which had a number of antique glass bottles, some coloured, some clear, lined up on the window sill. If I made this walk in autumn or winter time, when it was dark, and if the room light was on, which it usually was, then the diffused glow of the room would shine through these bottles. The window never had any curtains. It was definitely a landmark on a November or December evening.

Can't find that now either, or anyway not even the building, or something that looks like it. Could be in another road, a short-cut that I can't remember.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9237 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I passed my motorcycle test in Southend, somewhere near where Costins (?) motorcycle/scooter shop used to be.

Must have been 1966.

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#9238 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Very intrestink!!!!! The past is another country but I also look for it. Id love to find some of it but.....

The little shop though with the electronics junk, aha! I had to go to Reading to 'the shop on the bridge - a huge cornucopia of circuit boards and wondrous stuff. Next door there was actually a shop that only sold radio kits of all shapes and sizes. Back in Newbury there was only a bike/television repair shop where I'd scrounge the innards of completely useless television sets. In Oxford I was lucky if once a year I could drool over military surplus electronics; 19 sets and other tx/rx s, oscilloscopes and well everything including nuclear missiles and Haddon collided - WOW
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9239 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

That sounds like Proops in Tottenham court road - they had wondrous stuff, including bits of landing gear from jets to quartz fibre dossimeters.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#9240 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Proops, Lasky's, GW Smith's and more - wonderful! Then the Wi-Fi shops began...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.