Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9556 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Just got a renewal advice from Direct Line for my van insurance.

£266.56

The Direct Line web site says I can get it for £173.60 with a couple of minor adjustments.

Guess which one I'm going for. :lol:

PS I phoned Direct Line and they have changed my renewal price to the lower figure.

NEVER accept a renewal quote without checking an internet comparison site, or the providers own quote web page.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9557 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Wurd!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9558 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

If you're very lucky you might get Mr Winston Wolf come round in his sports car :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Baggy Trousers
User

#9559 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Just discovered why I had to retune t'telly the other day - I gather changes had been made to accommodate a new channel. Where I live this is Channel 81 and is devoted exclusively to old films.

Oh, what joy! I'm 20 again and in the back stalls for 1/9d with Pamela in one of those double seats which we vacate before the lights go up and we are exposed to the censure of an auditorium convinced it knows what social mores we have transgressed. Sadly, the reality does not match the vividness of imagination - it is our first date, after all. Nevertheless, euphoric from the musical romance of Jeanette McDonald and Nelson Eddy, like moles into the sunshine we grope our way through the light to the street where, as it is before the congestion of modern times, we find the old girder-forked Velocette, patiently dripping oil in anticipation of our return. Petticoats hitched (with a surreptitious glimpse of suspender) to avoid the worst of the oil and with trousers tucked into my socks, we wobble in a stately manner into a fine night and take the scenic route back to the nurses hostel at the local hospital.

Nostalgia unconfined. I'm spending too much time in the company of Carole Lombard, Edward G, Rita Hayworth and all those who so selflessly gave of their time and talent to the amusement of the world's cinema-goers, thus distracting the attention of others from the enjoyments of Pamela and I in the back row. :bounce:
Last of the late brakers.
Michael L
Old Hand

#9560 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:42 am Just discovered why I had to retune t'telly the other day - I gather changes had been made to accommodate a new channel. Where I live this is Channel 81 and is devoted exclusively to old films.

I didn't know about this channel. It's a gem. I've just had a quick look at the schedule on my YouView app and found this ..

Short film. We start in Birmingham at the famous BSA factory where we follow the annual Road Patrol. Marvel at their side chassis and box carriers and follow them to Exeter, Arbroath and Belfast.

Glimpses - Saturday 5th, May, 9:45am - 10:00am

The 39 Steps precedes this.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9561 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

I must go digging this evening, could be very useful.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9562 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

On Sky it's 328
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

#9563 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Finally got to the bottom of this email issue. Essentially BT are using mail relay, they have cbltsc.com as our domain but this is hosted on 34p.com.....BT cannot change it to 34sp as it is a third party company and we (the club) don't own it!

So, I can try using our domain for the smtp server as it seems to work from home OK but the gotcha is BT Business do not support IMAP relay.

Now I'm told we can either move our domain to BT (yeah right) or use POP email.....I mean WTF, this is 2018 not 1998..BT residential support IMAP just fine why not BT Business. Tossers. :angryfire:
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Nick
Site Admin

#9564 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

I dont understand what BT have got to do with it, AFAICS you are connecting from your machine to a remote server and talking to that. Are BT saying they are running a automatic proxy and intercepting your communication?

Is it just a case that you need a SPF record to mark 34p.com as being a valid source of email for cbltsc.com?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Neal
Shed dweller

#9565 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

All I know Nick, is I can't Telnet to the mx 34sp servers from the club. Various, admittedly old, threads on the BT Business forums suggest the same issue. There maybe a workaround by validating our managers email address and using the BT SMTP servers instead. I've just spoken to 34sp support and they are equally confused, I will need to get back on-site and try some suggestions...
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
ed
retired

#9566 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

I've just discovered an IR feature....

I have remote controls(IR) that don't work when the receiver is in direct sunlight...go figure.

I expect everybody is aware of this and I'm the last to cotton-on an usual.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#9567 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

I expect everybody is aware of this and I'm the last to cotton-on an usual.
Not something I have thought of, but it doesn't surprise me. The receivers I have looked at are level and complex, but I assume the optotransistor its self can be pushed up against its ceiling.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9568 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

I think there's a filter ( absorbing material ) in front of these sensors that's suppose to block visible light and transmit near-IR. Unfortunately the extinction of visible isn't perfect, maybe it's something like 0.1% , so if the sensor has direct sunlight, that's pretty damned bright and the visible light leak might push the sensor near to saturation, as Nick has hinted.
Nick
Site Admin

#9569 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Looking at the sheet for the receiver I use in the HiFi Collective remote:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2049436.pdf

I note they have legacy and new versions with different AGC's but trying to understand the text it looks lite they are aimed at overcoming modern lighting. I don't know how much of the background IR gets through a window or is in direct sunlight (950nm).
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9570 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

It's not particularly selective on wavelength ( figure 10 ) .
Sunlight has plenty of energy beyond 700nm ( the approx. red visible limit ) :
Sunlight.jpg
I suppose the pulsing may be aimed at helping reject sunlight as well as fluorescent tubes ( ie. like a lock-in amplifier ) - if I understand figure 1 correctly - but there's limits to what it can do if there's loads of ambient.
Last edited by IslandPink on Tue May 01, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.