Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9691 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Cripes ! Where do you start on all that ?
Lets' hope you have a run of 5 years good luck now.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#9692 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

I found that using the Pi3 was painless. Might be interesting to stick a OLED display and see if the rest of the touch can be impersonated.

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#9693 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:22 pm I found that using the Pi3 was painless. Might be interesting to stick a OLED display and see if the rest of the touch can be impersonated.

The squeeze is a classic SB3. An OLED will be a must as the clock is as important as the titles playing. I bet it's not going to be as painless as leaving the whole kit switched on all the time though.

The SB3 has been running 24/7 since 2005/6. I don't suppose it owes me anything.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ant
Shed dweller

#9694 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Why oh why did I decide to start a build that requires working outside today of all days....
Sunburn and dehydration abound!

Impatience is not a virtue....

Taking a break from boiling myself to drink a couple of pints of water.

As my nan used to say to me (quite often)
You dont have the brains you were born with......
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9695 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

I'm off this week :D but pacing myself. Today it's really hot out there - rarely seen the like of it. Bit of sunbathing in short bursts plus some record cleaning with a loaned Disco , that's the plan for the remainder of this afternoon. At least the house is cool, the old Victorian place comes into its own on days like this.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9696 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 am
Mike H wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:04 pm Trying to buy some bits in Maplin's closing down sale but add to basket doesn't work (constantly 'busy') and can't sign in - which used to work :(
Later add to basket worked, so managed to order some sleeving and wire as a 'guest'.
Grim reading: http://www.coppolacomment.com/2018/03/t ... onics.html
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Neal
Shed dweller

#9697 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

ed wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:30 pm
Nick wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:22 pm I found that using the Pi3 was painless. Might be interesting to stick a OLED display and see if the rest of the touch can be impersonated.

The squeeze is a classic SB3. An OLED will be a must as the clock is as important as the titles playing. I bet it's not going to be as painless as leaving the whole kit switched on all the time though.

The SB3 has been running 24/7 since 2005/6. I don't suppose it owes me anything.
Ed I have an SB3 somewhere doing nothing, I doubt I’ll ever use it again, Make me an offer I can bring it to Owston
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#9698 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Ant wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:46 pm Why oh why did I decide to start a build that requires working outside today of all days....
Sunburn and dehydration abound!

Impatience is not a virtue....

Taking a break from boiling myself to drink a couple of pints of water.

As my nan used to say to me (quite often)
You dont have the brains you were born with......
Not mine I hope Ant. Wait for cooler weather if so. :D
Ant
Shed dweller

#9699 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Some of it was!
Done that bit now, no more outside work today

Ant
Shed dweller

#9700 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Proof I'm getting old.

Managed to sunburn the top of my head.....
Hair is thin enough to let the rays of the sun right through.......

And got laughed at for it by SWMBO....

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9701 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Even at 50+ degrees North in the UK, the UV is strong.

I'm at about 25 North, and the only time I've been burnt in the last couple of years was coming back to the UK for our village fete in Kent last year.

Obviously, out here folk are careful because of the heat, but people get casual in the UK thinking (if they think about it at all) that it's not an issue there. But it is, especially for children.

Of the 3 types of UV, A, B & C, UVA accounts for 95% of the sun's radiation. UVA and UVB are the most dangerous, causing skin damage and skin cancer. UVC is the worst and is generated by welding and arc lamps etc.

SPF 30 sun screen stops 97% of UV, so that's what most folk use out here. Oddly, that leads to Vitamin D deficiency in almost everyone, so we all take supplements. Bizarre.

Nasty stuff, UV.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#9702 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Always used to treat the EPROM eraser with respect :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Michael L
Old Hand

#9703 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

When my lad was out in Cyprus for three years with his mum and her bloke we used to joke about him getting vitamin D deficient because he spent so much time in his bedroom playing World of Warcraft.
shane
Social outcast

#9704 Skelton Saws

Post by shane »

There’s a bloke I’ve been following on instagram who makes saws. Doesn’t sound very interesting, but he turns them into exquisite things of beauty. Just don’t ask for prices...

https://www.skeltonsaws.co.uk
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9705 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Nick - I'm still waiting for you to put the other side of the argument about UV ....
jack wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:41 am Even at 50+ degrees North in the UK, the UV is strong.
Only in the summer for 3 or 4 hours in the middle of the day . Before April and Past September there's almost no UV coming through in the UK. The UVB extinction factor in the atmosphere is quite high even with overhead sun and factors as cosec^2(theta) where theta is the angle from the vertical. If the sun is 30° above the horizon, there is 1% of the peak summer UV.
jack wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:41 am Nasty stuff, UV.
.. and essential to human life.
What is your ( alternative ;o) ) explanation for humans progressively evolving paler skin as they moved North from Africa to Europe and then Scandinavia ?
This is a known adaption to allow through more UV, for the formation of Vitamin D. Vitamin D ( as you know ) is vital for bone formation, immune system, digestive functioning and is a hormone ( when processed ) that has lots of subtle effects in the body.
The only 'normal' food that can supply sufficient levels of vitamin D if you don't get out in the sun, is Herring - and is considered to be a vital factor in historic migration into Scandinavia. ( Ok, the Inuit do OK with relatively dark skin, but they eat loads of fish oil & seal liver & suchlike )

UVA is not sufficient to trigger vitamin D formation - UVB is necessary. This is why it's better to get out in the middle of a summer day for 20mins , rather than sunbathing later for an hour or two. You can generate 25000 iu of Vit D in 20mins if most of your body is exposed, when there's UVB. That's 60 times the amount in a typical cod liver oil tablet.

Personally I can't handle Vit D tablet over about 1000iu without getting anxiety - however the sun does a better job for me. I used to suffer from Winter depression, but I got a sun canopy with UVB tubes in 2008, and 20mins each side once a week in the winter is enough to correct this problem.

You correctly point out the risks of UV to the skin but forget to mention that low vitamin D is associated with depression, bowel, breast and prostate cancer , osteoarthritis, osteomalacia , multiple sclerosis and various other serious complaints.

Most people in the UK are not tested for Vit D, but when they are, they are almost always low or deficient in this. I guy from Canada who I work with, in his 30's, apparently in very good health, paid for a load of tests recently on the company health plan, and found he was off the bottom of the scale for Vit D although everything else was good.
This would be OK if we were routinely advised by doctors to take lots of Vit D supplements - but we aren't ( unlike the Scandinavians who get 4000iu for free ) .

So endeth the lesson