Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Baggy Trousers
User

#9631 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Baggy Trousers »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:54 am 6718 pipes.... big indeed.
What? The boyfriend?
Last of the late brakers.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#9632 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Phil's Rigan organ.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9633 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Pah!. It's not even the biggest in Latvia (according to Wikipedia) - the biggest one in Latvia is in Liepaja - that WAS the biggest church organ in the world until 1968, but that honor now belongs to the West Point Cadet Chapel which has an all-pipe organ with 23,511 pipes... i.e. over 3 times the size of the Latvian ones.

However, church organs aren't the biggest - the largest pipe organ in the world is the Boardwalk Hall Auditorium Organ with 33,112 pipes, now undergoing a $16M restoration that should be complete in 2023. One of the pipes is 64 ft long, one of only 2 that size in the world. The largest fully operational pipe organ (played twice a day, 6 days a week) is the Wanamaker Organ in Macy's, Philadelphia, with 28,750 pipes.

Barking madness, I tell you!

Wikipedia. Rabbit-hole. Lost in.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey

#9634 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well well well.

Wish I knew everything ..... I've been told there is torrential rain in the east midlands - really ! --- ?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9635 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:03 am ..... I've been told there is torrential rain in the east midlands - really ! --- ?
Yes, your home is now 'mobile'. Swim to yer settee MrI!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey

#9636 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

By the time I get home I might be living in Kings Lynn. Spose it could be worse.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9637 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Well I dunno a bijou showerette in Boston on Sunday lunchtime, the rest of the time it's been baking hot. Keep being threatened with thunderstorms but not seen (or heard) one yet.

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9638 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:37 pm Well I dunno a bijou showerette in Boston on Sunday lunchtime, the rest of the time it's been baking hot. Keep being threatened with thunderstorms but not seen (or heard) one yet.

-
Does the sidecar float ? :lol:

PS Got the front windows open and distant thunder can be heard.

PS 2 Hissing down with rain. 18:05
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9639 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

We had loads yesterday in N.wales, with lightning & thunder several times. Much nicer today, although pretty warm and rather humid.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9640 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:39 pm Does the sidecar float ? :lol:
Got holes in the bottom, so no. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Baggy Trousers
User

#9641 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Baggy Trousers »

jack wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:22 am Pah!. It's not even the biggest in Latvia (according to Wikipedia) - the biggest one in Latvia is in Liepaja - that WAS the biggest church organ in the world until 1968, but that honor now belongs to the West Point Cadet Chapel which has an all-pipe organ with 23,511 pipes... i.e. over 3 times the size of the Latvian ones.

However, church organs aren't the biggest - the largest pipe organ in the world is the Boardwalk Hall Auditorium Organ with 33,112 pipes, now undergoing a $16M restoration that should be complete in 2023. One of the pipes is 64 ft long, one of only 2 that size in the world. The largest fully operational pipe organ (played twice a day, 6 days a week) is the Wanamaker Organ in Macy's, Philadelphia, with 28,750 pipes.

Barking madness, I tell you!

Wikipedia. Rabbit-hole. Lost in.
Gosh, Jack - you certainly have been hitting the Wikipedia!

I don't know but I think you will find that the Australian organ may be only one of three having a 64' pipe in a straight length. For most 'C' compass organs, 16' is the lowest pitch but many instruments have a 32' rank (invariably in the pedal division) at an octave lower. There are (usually very large) instruments having a 64' pitch where the fundamental is around 17cps and not really within the audio spectrum. Musically, these ranks are irrelevant. However, 64' is "speaking" length and not necessarily actual physical length which will be a function of the pipe scaling. In any event, these and other pipes of similar length almost invariably are folded to fit into the space available.

I love these threads which begin at one point and get sidetracked in different directions to finish somewhere completely unanticipated. Bit like life, really. :wink:
Last of the late brakers.
shane
Social outcast

#9642 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

“The organ's wind supply is the most powerful ever used in a pipe organ. The DC motors for the original eight blowers had a total power of 394 horsepower (294 kW). These were replaced with AC motors in the early 1990s, which have a total of 600 horsepower (450 kW) and their seven blowers pump 36,400 cubic feet (1,030 m3) of wind per minute.”

Jeez...
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9643 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

shane wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:35 pm
pump 36,400 cubic feet (1,030 m3) of wind per minute.”

Jeez...
That's probably about a years output from our vegi friend in Dirtford. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9644 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Shurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrups you's lot already! :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#9645 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Sorry, I couldn't resist!